Bear Mountain Cali - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default Bear Mountain Cali

Hey guys, just want to get some info about this mountain. I'll be in San Diego next week and will ride Bear one of those days. What type of runs am I looking at? Trying to decide which board to bring as I can only bring one.

I don't want to bring a freestyle board only to find out they have some fun steeps. Likewise, I don't want to bring my freeride board only to find out Bear is mellow.

Any good tree runs there?

Thanks.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
CheoSamad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Henryville PA
Posts: 548
Default

http://www.bearmountain.com/images/bearmtnmapB.jpg I'm assuming you mean the Bear Mountain that EVERYONE knows about? The mountain is almost entirely part but I don't think those double blacks at the top of the hill would be too mellow...

Edit-Also I think those "Canyons" might just be HUGE glades as they are listed on their trail map.
__________________
Emerica should make snowboard boots


Last edited by CheoSamad; 02-29-2012 at 07:20 AM.
CheoSamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheoSamad View Post
http://www.bearmountain.com/images/bearmtnmapB.jpg I'm assuming you mean the Bear Mountain that EVERYONE knows about? The mountain is almost entirely part but I don't think those double blacks at the top of the hill would be too mellow...

Edit-Also I think those "Canyons" might just be HUGE glades as they are listed on their trail map.
Yea, there's only one Bear in SoCal isn't there? I know it's not the biggest mountain, but definitely bigger than anything here.

And I know a ton of people know about this mountain hence me posting questions about it. I want to get personal riding experiences from there. I'm probably overthinking it, but I want to have the best time possible as I'm only there one day.

I'm thinking freestyle board to double as a glade stick!
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
CheoSamad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Henryville PA
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Yea, there's only one Bear in SoCal isn't there? I know it's not the biggest mountain, but definitely bigger than anything here.

And I know a ton of people know about this mountain hence me posting questions about it. I want to get personal riding experiences from there. I'm probably overthinking it, but I want to have the best time possible as I'm only there one day.

I'm thinking freestyle board to double as a glade stick!
Lot better than what we ride here and I am sure no matter what you bring you'll have a sick day of riding. Where I am from kids have NEVER ridden in trees or in untouched powder as all the mountains are too small for that and they always just groom all the powder into the base instead of leaving if for us to lay down some tracks. If you wanna float you gotta get into the side hits or I hate to say it but either the park or our double black run cliffhanger. They don't groom these as often so this is where the powder always is if there ever is any (even though we only got 1 day of it this year!)
__________________
Emerica should make snowboard boots

CheoSamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
hawaiinboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 36
Default

It's a fun mountain for sure. Like was said before, Bear has park features on every run. Summit , which you can take a shuttle to, is more just cruising and carving. A lift ticket gives you access to both mountains. Just got a foot monday night so hopefully there will be some good snow for you. If want steep go to geranimo at bear. Not worth it if it's icy though.
hawaiinboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiinboarder View Post
It's a fun mountain for sure. Like was said before, Bear has park features on every run. Summit , which you can take a shuttle to, is more just cruising and carving. A lift ticket gives you access to both mountains. Just got a foot monday night so hopefully there will be some good snow for you. If want steep go to geranimo at bear. Not worth it if it's icy though.
Thanks for the info Hawaiin. Think I will bring my Evo then.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
mixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 616
Default

Ive never been to bear when Chair 8 is open but I have heard that there is good times over there. Other then Geronimo, it's ALL park. I've also had some issues with being hassled by punk teenagers in line and on the shuttle between resorts. I think it's cos I'm (easily) twice their age and they are wondering why Im not at work with the rest of the old people (weekdays) More then once I've thought about asking others on the chair if they mind that I light up and would invited them to partake...I never do cos Im too worried about getting busted for corrupting a minor BB is punk kids, SS is a family resort if ya get my drift.


There is fun to be had at Snow Summit too, but there is NOTHING steep. They have some double blacks on the map but, they're groomed, and not that steep. And the 'steep' section is about 100 feet long. In my opinion if it's groomed then by default it can't be a double black but what the hell do I know? I normally ride at Mammoth so maybe my perception is skewed compared to someone coming from Detroit. But if you've been out west, then you will probably see things like I do. (i.e. it's FLAT!)


if you post this in southwest US you'll probably get more replies

Last edited by mixie; 02-29-2012 at 03:07 PM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixie View Post
Ive never been to bear when Chair 8 is open but I have heard that there is good times over there. Other then Geronimo, it's ALL park. I've also had some issues with being hassled by punk teenagers in line and on the shuttle between resorts. I think it's cos I'm (easily) twice their age and they are wondering why Im not at work with the rest of the old people (weekdays) More then once I've thought about asking others on the chair if they mind that I light up and would invited them to partake...I never do cos Im too worried about getting busted for corrupting a minor BB is punk kids, SS is a family resort if ya get my drift.


There is fun to be had at Snow Summit too, but there is NOTHING steep. They have some double blacks on the map but, they're groomed, and not that steep. And the 'steep' section is about 100 feet long. In my opinion if it's groomed then by default it can't be a double black but what the hell do I know? I normally ride at Mammoth so maybe my perception is skewed compared to someone coming from Detroit. But if you've been out west, then you will probably see things like I do. (i.e. it's FLAT!)


if you post this in southwest US you'll probably get more replies
Ah crap! This was supposed to be Southwest along with that Tahoe thread. Whoops.

So are Mammoth, SS, and BB all by each other? I should know all this considering I lived in Vegas most of my life lol. But alas, I wasn't a snowboarder in those days.

I'll be staying in San Diego so as far as I know, BB is the closest no?
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
mixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Ah crap! This was supposed to be Southwest along with that Tahoe thread. Whoops.

So are Mammoth, SS, and BB all by each other? I should know all this considering I lived in Vegas most of my life lol. But alas, I wasn't a snowboarder in those days.

I'll be staying in San Diego so as far as I know, BB is the closest no?
Yeah, I think BB is gonna be your closest resort. Big Bear and Snow Summit are close to each other, you can take a shuttle between the two or drive it yourself. It's best to shuttle or you get a fuct parking spot. I think they are going to be about 3 hours from you down in SD.



Mammoth is about a 7 hour drive from SD. I share a place up there with a bunch of people and a few come up from SD and they tell me it's a 7 hour drive with no traffic. Nuts. It takes me about 5 hours from LA. I could do it in 4 but the cops run many speed traps along the 395.

with the weather we're having, y ou should probably hit up th beach and learn to surf!! Enjoy the SoCal "winter"


oh and if you want trees? Bring what ever board you don't mind banging up a bit. If I was worried about my gear, I'd stick to the groomers at either place. They've probably not got good coverage outside the groomers.

Last edited by mixie; 02-29-2012 at 03:36 PM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Alright so between Bear and Summit, you'd personally choose SS it sounds?

And yea, I've been out to Tahoe before so I'm pretty familiar with real blacks lol. They are like triple blacks in MI
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums