stevens pass - Page 12 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #111 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
redlude97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle/Portland
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtg View Post
Ok good to know. Especially because you can also traverse from there to that blue run. I have only taken SC a few times, because the sign on that one also lies (says it serves single and double black only, but there is a blue) and I can only handle Orion if the snow is very soft Good to hear there is another way over there without having to take hogsback when lines are long.

That's not too bad I guess, but I'll miss no access to the gemini area/under the power lines on powder days. There is usually a lot of untouched stuff there for those of us who are not as experienced and riding solo. Just about everything under SC is not even marked, so I haven't gone exploring there, and I get the impression that would be a bad idea until I know what I'm doing.

That said, I'll be surprised if there are many powder days left anyway.
Yep, I almost always take DD to the backside to avoid hogsback. If you are referring to aquarius the signage is that way because its much easier to access from jupiter otherwise the traverse is quite long from SC, and aquarius face is black IIRC except for the very far end.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #112 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 3,820
Default

Bakes is a private local corporation that is fiscally conserative, has not leveraged itself to the expense of the customer and has chosen to focus on providing a quality experience of real nature. In this economy they have tightened up some things but there are generally not that noticed by the casual recreationalist.

But you don't like the spring sched
__________________
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #113 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 371
Default stevens pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtg View Post
Ok good to know. Especially because you can also traverse from there to that blue run. I have only taken SC a few times, because the sign on that one also lies (says it serves single and double black only, but there is a blue) and I can only handle Orion if the snow is very soft Good to hear there is another way over there without having to take hogsback when lines are long.

That's not too bad I guess, but I'll miss no access to the gemini area/under the power lines on powder days. There is usually a lot of untouched stuff there for those of us who are not as experienced and riding solo. Just about everything under SC is not even marked, so I haven't gone exploring there, and I get the impression that would be a bad idea until I know what I'm doing.

That said, I'll be surprised if there are many powder days left anyway.
you can still get almost there and can access outter limits where if you dip in where it gets flats there is a cool tree run with fresh snow for sure. under SC is black and if there's fresh snow it's easy. Orion is really awesome with fresh snow. if you want to practice something more steep go to Aquarius face. bro you wanna go with me Monday?
stickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #114 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickz View Post
you can still get almost there and can access outter limits where if you dip in where it gets flats there is a cool tree run with fresh snow for sure. under SC is black and if there's fresh snow it's easy. Orion is really awesome with fresh snow. if you want to practice something more steep go to Aquarius face. bro you wanna go with me Monday?
I tried Aquarius face once. I looked like a snowman after. Glad there was so much soft powder, that's all I'll say

I'll see about Monday. It's kinda a work day for me but if things are going to be slow I might be able to swing it.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #115 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
DrnknZag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,112
Default stevens pass

Jesus Christ people, it blows my mind how fucking ignorant so many people are about the backcountry around Stevens Pass. Especially since the Tunnel Creek incident last year.

It boggles my mind how many people I see hiking either to Hollywood or towards Wenatchee/Highlands without gear. Specifically yesterday with the high loading of snow and wind. The thing that REALLY set me off yesterday was heading home and seeing 4 snowboarders hiking up Hwy 2 back to the resort, no BC gear whatsoever. Turns out they rode right down one of the biggest slide paths coming down from Grace Lakes to the highway. Not only did they put themselves in danger, but every motorist that crossed that slide path while they were on the slope above.

Since Tunnel Creek last year, I do see more people riding Stevens with gear, but it seems like there's even more riding the backcountry adjacent to Stevens with no gear. It's only a matter of time before someone gets themselves in a bad situation or even killed.

/rant
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #116 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 279
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Got my Larry Schick POWDER ALERT email this morning, 10-20" Thursday S/L 1500'
Clayton Bigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #117 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 371
Default stevens pass

sat night had 17", I saw those kids on my way home. I said to my sister I was surprised anyone would be our there today
stickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #118 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
huckfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: pacific nw
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrnknZag View Post
Jesus Christ people, it blows my mind how fucking ignorant so many people are about the backcountry around Stevens Pass. Especially since the Tunnel Creek incident last year.

It boggles my mind how many people I see hiking either to Hollywood or towards Wenatchee/Highlands without gear. Specifically yesterday with the high loading of snow and wind. The thing that REALLY set me off yesterday was heading home and seeing 4 snowboarders hiking up Hwy 2 back to the resort, no BC gear whatsoever. Turns out they rode right down one of the biggest slide paths coming down from Grace Lakes to the highway. Not only did they put themselves in danger, but every motorist that crossed that slide path while they were on the slope above.

Since Tunnel Creek last year, I do see more people riding Stevens with gear, but it seems like there's even more riding the backcountry adjacent to Stevens with no gear. It's only a matter of time before someone gets themselves in a bad situation or even killed.

/rant

that's a pretty broad generalization, NEWS FLASH! BC gear does not instantly make you smart, and/or safe when doing side country travel... just because someone is hiking that area without gear does not make them idiots... gear is a backup, if the shit hits the fan... perhaps they have been riding up there a lot longer than you, and just because of one giant slide that killed 3 people, they chose to not let it change everything about the way they do things. some choose to wear gear, some don't, why let it piss you off so much? why do you care? with an attitude like yours you'd likely be one of the first to start a thread on this site and say "i told you so you fucking idiots" if someone died back there again, with or without gear... so don't act like you care, and don't be a gear nazi. you sound just like the helmet nazis... gear or not, people die in avalanches, you can't judge someones intelligence by a backpack. just take care of yourself and stop worrying so much about others; you can't save everyone. /rant
huckfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #119 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 486
Default

imagine how much more work the hike back is with a pack full of gear!
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #120 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 3,820
Default

Yesterday, Bakes lined up for chair 1 to start loading; the kids all had their airbags on and some old crusty skier a little ways back, talking shit notes. "The tunnel creek thing is just the start....all these kids with their airbags and shit have no idea...thinking they can take more risk and the shit will hit the fan...more will die because more are out there with their false sense of security because of their gear...when it goes off it will take out a whole lot more folks....you just wait and see it happen." While it is a valid point, there is also alot more education and awareness available for those willing to heed the advice...but dumb shits....gene pool selection. I'm sure this skier (they just ignored him) was just making assumptions based on the kids' avy gear and their age and had no idea that their dad is the senior avy trainer for pro and volly patrol, the kids regularly help out patrol and always check-in with patrol about conditions before heading out.
__________________
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums