Longboarders, UNITE!!!! - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
 
MistahTaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ordered the board as a complete and placed an order of 81a venom supercarves for rear ( was too lazy to order them separate). I now have the 81a supercarves board side and the stock bushings roadside. I had it placed the other way around but the barrels felt like it was restricting the lean. It lost some stability at speed with this setup but now it feels more turny and its easier to slide. I do not have the hangers flipped, i like it better that way but the wheel bite is really bad. I have 76mm gumballs and they're offset so i think that is why it is causing it to bite. It's not really a problem now but i would rather have double barrels and run it looser. I only get bite now when i press really hard behind the wheel. i might just file down the wheel well a bit to make some more clearance.
MistahTaki is offline  
post #22 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
 
MistahTaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tug03 View Post
looks like you have 83.5 a (stock bushings) on one end and 90a? on the other end. what size wheels you have ? here's my set up with no wheel bite 87A(purple barrels) boardside and 85a (yellow barrels) roadside with 70 mm otang stims, i've also put some durians and zombie hawgs with no wheel bite problem.how much do you weigh? i weigh 160lbs. also make sure your hangers are not flipped.
the zombie hawgs contact patch isnt too wide and it's sideset so you wont get wheel bite. with the gumball 76mm theyre wide and offset that is why i get wheelbite. i only weigh 120 (dont make fun of my weight) so my weight is not the issue.
MistahTaki is offline  
post #23 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
 
fattrav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whats the go with these man? I have recently moved well away from the snow, and I am thinking that long boarding might be a decent way of getting around and still keep me on a board of some sorts. Are they based around weight like snowboards? Should I got with a complete, or look at putting one together etc? I see that some are cambered and some straigt...I take it that makes a difference?

lastly...these have 65mm wheels...can you ride them on the road and not worry about stones stopping the board dead? Thanks in advance.

Never Summer SL153 & Atomic Hatchet 159
Burton CO2
Nitro Teams
fattrav is offline  
post #24 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
 
MistahTaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
they aren't based around weight but for example some brands sell boards for certain weight ranges for your flex preferences. The stiffer the board the more stable it will be at speed . The flex you want usually depends on what type of riding you want to do. Rocker shape boards are usually more stable because it helps you keep centered and cambered boards have usually have more flex and are better for carving (i think ). If you are going to buy complete it's better to buy all separate because you are able to optimize the setup but if you buy a stock complete it's usually cheaper. As for 65mm wheel they will be able to go over little cracks and pebbles in the road but it also depends on the durometer, the stiffness of the wheel. If you are planning on just cruising it's better to buy bigger softer wheels so it will give you a smooth ride.

Last edited by MistahTaki; 04-27-2011 at 04:08 PM.
MistahTaki is offline  
post #25 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
 
NWBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 10
I have an older Original Malakai 40 board. The only thing I have done to it is put on some better wheels. I love it though. It carves so hard. I need to upgrade into some new bearings this summer, but that should be about it. I can't wait to pull it down form the closet and get to ripping some hills. But since I still have no sun, and only rain, it's gonna be a while. Guess I'll just have to keep riding my snowboard until the weather changes.

Oh yeah!? Well, my mom says I'm cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline  
post #26 of 153 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
ryannorthcott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Shredmonton Illberta
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangtarn View Post
I ride a freedom dolly single fin.

I've only had the board about a week and rode it about four times so far. General impression is that the board is pretty smooth riding and the trucks are relatively good for carving. it takes a few times to break it in. there is very little flex in my opinion. i haven't tried too many things on it yet as like I mentioned, i have only had it for a week. but if you would like I can give you some more feedback as i try more things on it.
i just picked up a freedom dolly roller coaster for my first board. never longboarded before but i have been snowboarding for a while and used to skate a lot. i know absolutely nothing about longboards so i picked this one out because it was recommended by my local shop owner and they are made by mervin manufacturing.



we'll see how it goes!
ryannorthcott is offline  
post #27 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SPAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahTaki View Post
I ordered the board as a complete and placed an order of 81a venom supercarves for rear ( was too lazy to order them separate). I now have the 81a supercarves board side and the stock bushings roadside. I had it placed the other way around but the barrels felt like it was restricting the lean. It lost some stability at speed with this setup but now it feels more turny and its easier to slide. I do not have the hangers flipped, i like it better that way but the wheel bite is really bad. I have 76mm gumballs and they're offset so i think that is why it is causing it to bite. It's not really a problem now but i would rather have double barrels and run it looser. I only get bite now when i press really hard behind the wheel. i might just file down the wheel well a bit to make some more clearance.
if your getting wheel bite, flipping them will probably solve that. i see you like it more though so i dunno. filing down the wheels sounds like a bad idea too, just selling them and buying some 70 or 73s would be better, orangatang makes some nice 70s...

2011 Never Summer Revolver-R 156
2011 Flux RK30's
2010 Rome Libertines
SPAZ is offline  
post #28 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SPAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattrav View Post
Whats the go with these man? I have recently moved well away from the snow, and I am thinking that long boarding might be a decent way of getting around and still keep me on a board of some sorts. Are they based around weight like snowboards? Should I got with a complete, or look at putting one together etc? I see that some are cambered and some straigt...I take it that makes a difference?

lastly...these have 65mm wheels...can you ride them on the road and not worry about stones stopping the board dead? Thanks in advance.
MistahTaki covered the weight pretty well. But if you have a board for a lower weight (generally to get flex to pump in and out of carves) you can bottom out and that sucks. I just ride over most debris in the road but say a 2 inch curb or garden hose is in front of you, you better get off or have a lot of band aids with you. I would recommend getting a custom complete, from a site like Muirskate or DBS. They let you select the components and assemble it for you, it just makes your life a lot easier. Don't get an entire pre-made complete though as they generally have no-name parts. If you want the board for transportation a drop down would serve you well and still carve nicely, bigger wheels will go over bigger rocks. My 75s go over most stuff in the road...

2011 Never Summer Revolver-R 156
2011 Flux RK30's
2010 Rome Libertines
SPAZ is offline  
post #29 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SPAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannorthcott View Post
i just picked up a freedom dolly roller coaster for my first board. never longboarded before but i have been snowboarding for a while and used to skate a lot. i know absolutely nothing about longboards so i picked this one out because it was recommended by my local shop owner and they are made by mervin manufacturing.



we'll see how it goes!
Nice pin, let us know how it goes!

2011 Never Summer Revolver-R 156
2011 Flux RK30's
2010 Rome Libertines
SPAZ is offline  
post #30 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
 
MistahTaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAZ View Post
if your getting wheel bite, flipping them will probably solve that. i see you like it more though so i dunno. filing down the wheels sounds like a bad idea too, just selling them and buying some 70 or 73s would be better, orangatang makes some nice 70s...
strangely i don't get wheel bite anymore. it may be because i slid off a couple mm's.
MistahTaki is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome