Longboard or Freeboard? - Page 6 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickz View Post
no such thing. quality and inexpensive
Ok. That's cool. I'm pretty sure there's a happy medium but what do I know
crash77 is offline  
post #52 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,359
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash77 View Post
Ok. That's cool. I'm pretty sure there's a happy medium but what do I know
Stoked!

If you are looking at sliding to switch, a few components matter a lot.

Wheels - Duro at ~82, center hub, rounded edge, slim profile. These will help you break loose and reconnect with control while not being too grabby.

Deck - A mellow drop can help learning to slide and can aid control when switch. Many solid freeride boards are available at a reasonable price. Go with a relatively stiff (for your weight) Candian Maple deck. It is easy to get caught up in trendy materials that are not what you need to learn to slide.

Bushings - Stock to start (assuming a quality truck company). You will want to customize later, but until you know why (you will develop preferences) it is very easy to customize in the wrong direction.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 03-05-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Wiredsport is offline  
post #53 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
stickz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wa
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Longboard or Freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash77 View Post
Ok. That's cool. I'm pretty sure there's a happy medium but what do I know
go buy a sector nine at zumies. full set up less than 200. the deck I suggested is over that...first set ups aren't important anyways. your next board will be more suited to your newfound riding style
stickz is offline  
post #54 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks wiredsport!

Appreciated stickz!
crash77 is offline  
post #55 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
 
BoardWalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickz View Post
go buy a sector nine at zumies. full set up less than 200. the deck I suggested is over that...first set ups aren't important anyways. your next board will be more suited to your newfound riding style
Go to Daddiesboardshop.com and get a gravity, good boards for good prices. If you're just looking for a board to ride around and practice switch the Mini Carve is a good one $144.00 complete, want a big cruiser get a 55" Ed Economy $150.00. We have a few longboards of various brands in our house when people are riding the gravities are always being used. I love my EW Supermodel but the Gravity Brad Edwards is my next choice, just a fun all around board.
BoardWalk is offline  
post #56 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
stickz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wa
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Longboard or Freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardWalk View Post
Go to Daddiesboardshop.com and get a gravity, good boards for good prices. If you're just looking for a board to ride around and practice switch the Mini Carve is a good one $144.00 complete, want a big cruiser get a 55" Ed Economy $150.00. We have a few longboards of various brands in our house when people are riding the gravities are always being used. I love my EW Supermodel but the Gravity Brad Edwards is my next choice, just a fun all around board.
super models are sick. daddies is cool. but it's hard to buy your first board without standing on it. unless you live in Portland your not going to daddies. I have bought a few completes from them in the past. bro I have a buddy who is selling all his boards and would give you a killer deal and would ship it. he has a few decks that will be perfect for you. hit me up if you still haven't got a board. I know you won't be able to stand on it but it would be a great deal..
stickz is offline  
post #57 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash77 View Post
Ok. I think I got caught up in the hype. I live in Baltimore and freeboarding is definitely not the best option for this area.

My main reason for getting a board is to practice switch over the spring/summer months.

Can someone recommend a quality, but inexpensive set-up for the sole purpose of becoming proficient in riding switch?
What's your definition of inexpensive?
boarderaholic is offline  
post #58 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic View Post
What's your definition of inexpensive?
I dunno...$150 - $300
crash77 is offline  
post #59 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash77 View Post
I dunno...$150 - $300
Oof. That is a hefty budget and will leave you lots of room to work with. Ideally, you'd want a symmetrical drop through type board, if you want to commute and work on switch riding. A few very reputable companies to consider are Landyacthz, Earthwing, Rayne (though they are on the higher end of the price spectrum), Nelson, Bomb Squad, Comet and Churchill.

Trucks wise, Paris, Randal, Gunmetal, Caliber, they all make good quality products. Though for the sake of simplicity, consider Paris's for your needs. Bearings wise, pick something inexpensive.

I prefer bearings with built in spacers, and the "best" choice for that are Zealous's. Tektons and Biltins also come with built in spacers, but they are on the more expensive side of things.

And then wheels. Look at something with a square lip, and probably something on the slightly bigger side of things, ~ 75 mm, give or take a little bit. Seismic makes fantastic wheels for what you want to do, but again, they are on the pricier side of things. I'm personally a big fan of of Retro Big Zigs in 80a (lime) or lemons (83a). Cannibals are also a good choice, as well as Landyachtz Monster Hawgz. I went with the 70mm version when I did the push race this summer, and they were awesome.

Also, check out Silverfish Longboarding - The Longboard Skateboard Community. It's a great website with A LOT of resources. Just remember to search before making a new thread.
boarderaholic is offline  
post #60 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic View Post
Oof. That is a hefty budget and will leave you lots of room to work with. Ideally, you'd want a symmetrical drop through type board, if you want to commute and work on switch riding. A few very reputable companies to consider are Landyacthz, Earthwing, Rayne (though they are on the higher end of the price spectrum), Nelson, Bomb Squad, Comet and Churchill.

Trucks wise, Paris, Randal, Gunmetal, Caliber, they all make good quality products. Though for the sake of simplicity, consider Paris's for your needs. Bearings wise, pick something inexpensive.

I prefer bearings with built in spacers, and the "best" choice for that are Zealous's. Tektons and Biltins also come with built in spacers, but they are on the more expensive side of things.

And then wheels. Look at something with a square lip, and probably something on the slightly bigger side of things, ~ 75 mm, give or take a little bit. Seismic makes fantastic wheels for what you want to do, but again, they are on the pricier side of things. I'm personally a big fan of of Retro Big Zigs in 80a (lime) or lemons (83a). Cannibals are also a good choice, as well as Landyachtz Monster Hawgz. I went with the 70mm version when I did the push race this summer, and they were awesome.

Also, check out Silverfish Longboarding - The Longboard Skateboard Community. It's a great website with A LOT of resources. Just remember to search before making a new thread.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I have some options to explore.
Appreciate it man!
crash77 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome