What sports do you do when there isn't any snow? - Page 10 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #91 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_Gang View Post
I believe I could do it, If I really put my effort and time into it. Time is something I definitely have.

$$$FUNDS/MOOLA$$$ thats a whole 'nother story! I know how EXPENSIVE horses/lessons can be...especially living here in the US in CALI. I kind of told myself that I am gonna have to sacrifice some other stuff and really figure out what it is I WANT MOST.

I do look at dressage videos and it is definitely something I would try and get good at if I do pick up horseback riding.
If you have more time than money and are really interested in riding horses/learning dressage, there's always the possibility barns in your area would be willing to trade barn work (cleaning stalls, repairs, grooming/tacking up, etc) for lessons. Or you could be a "working student" but that might involve more of a (time) commitment. I'm on the east coast and I know barns out here do it. It's a viable option because yes, most everything in the horse world is expensive.

What dressage videos are you watching? Dressage is an amazing discipline, as it's really the foundation for all other disciplines.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've been riding since age 3, competed in eventing, dressage, and jumpers, and am an equine professional now. Hence I ride/train (client's horses) nearly every day of the year. Plus snowboard during the season, so as neni and I can prove, it can be done ha. Sleep deprivation/exhaustion often accompanies those season overlaps however.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #92 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss
 
neni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Swiss Alps
Posts: 2,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
If you have more time than money and are really interested in riding horses/learning dressage, there's always the possibility barns in your area would be willing to trade barn work (cleaning stalls, repairs, grooming/tacking up, etc) for lessons. Or you could be a "working student" but that might involve more of a (time) commitment. I'm on the east coast and I know barns out here do it. It's a viable option because yes, most everything in the horse world is expensive.
+1.
Horseriding can be a very cheap hobby. I've ridden horses many years without spending more than some bucks for breaches, helmet and boots every other year. I've always found people having their horses at home in a little barn, who were happy if someone does the cleaning/grooming in exchange for riding, so they have some evenings off. The better you get at riding, the "better" will the horses be which these people give to you. I was lucky with some owners, I was allowed to take lessons and to compete with their horses.
__________________
Jones Flagship 158, Ride Farah 153, Jones Solution wmn 156, Rad Air Jewel 159.5, Jones Mothership 156
Ride Fame, Burton Escapade, Spark Afterburner

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #93 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Unkept Porpoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Saskatchewan :(
Posts: 356
Default

Racing karts, soccer and longboarding. Havnt been karting for a while as it takes about 3000 a season but when I get out of school I will definitely be back.
Unkept Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #94 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkept Porpoise View Post
Racing karts
Sweet! My best friend when I was growing up owned a track in Quebec (his family bought it for $4 and renovated the place). And they hosted a series there for several years.

I went and did a practice day with them when I was 15 or so and my times were only a couple tenths off my buddy over a 30 second lap. He was the area champ several times over. So I could have been driving F1 cars now! But here I sit in front of my computer instead...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #95 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 381
Default

Baseball , Martial Arts and of course lifting things up and putting them down.
ekb18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #96 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Unkept Porpoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Saskatchewan :(
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Sweet! My best friend when I was growing up owned a track in Quebec (his family bought it for $4 and renovated the place). And they hosted a series there for several years.

I went and did a practice day with them when I was 15 or so and my times were only a couple tenths off my buddy over a 30 second lap. He was the area champ several times over. So I could have been driving F1 cars now! But here I sit in front of my computer instead...
You should get into it again if your interested, I think Calgary has a decent track and club. You just have to buy a kart which is about 2-3000, not much cost after that.
Unkept Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #97 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkept Porpoise View Post
You should get into it again if your interested, I think Calgary has a decent track and club. You just have to buy a kart which is about 2-3000, not much cost after that.
I'd love to! Even using somebody's used 1-2 yr old cart would be fine by me. I'd want to get into some kind of series that had a long wearing spec tire (for cost reduction).

There is an indoor electric cart track here which is fun, but it's time trial only, no real "passing" allowed unless they're much slower. Nothing like having a battle with somebody on the track!!!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #98 (permalink)
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,670
Default

Does beer drinking count as a hobby?
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #99 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Unkept Porpoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Saskatchewan :(
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I'd love to! Even using somebody's used 1-2 yr old cart would be fine by me. I'd want to get into some kind of series that had a long wearing spec tire (for cost reduction).

There is an indoor electric cart track here which is fun, but it's time trial only, no real "passing" allowed unless they're much slower. Nothing like having a battle with somebody on the track!!!
There should be a ton of used karts around, I'd check the clubs web site or go to a meeting. Or if you want really fast try this.
Unkept Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #100 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkept Porpoise View Post
There should be a ton of used karts around, I'd check the clubs web site or go to a meeting. Or if you want really fast try this.
Thanks jerk. Now I want to go racing...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums