Mountain boarding? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default Mountain boarding?

Has anyone done mountain boarding before? I've only heard of this sport recently and it looks like- being obsessed with snowboarding- I might have something to keep me sane during my free time this summer while I wait for more snow.

Based on what I know about it already, it is supposed to be very similar; the only significant difference being wheels. A mountain board is longer than a skateboard, has bindings with ratchets, and is apparently controlled by leaning toeside and heelside, or so I've heard.

They're designed to be used downhill on dirt, but can also be used on anything else really.

This is a Trampa mountain board:



I'm just not sure if it would be worth buying one, being a college student with limited extra money...

Last edited by Gdog42; 03-04-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
john doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,388
Default

This might interest you more.

__________________

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Sudden_Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, On
Posts: 737
Default

Freeboards look cool, but unless you live somewhere with long paved downhills with very little traffic they aren't all that practical.
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 371
Default Mountain boarding?

mountain boards are made to go down mountains bro not grass. they are super fun but turn like a skateboard, free boarding is way more like snowboarding. try surfing if you can
stickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog42 View Post
Has anyone done mountain boarding before? I've only heard of this sport recently and it looks like- being obsessed with snowboarding- I might have something to keep me sane during my free time this summer while I wait for more snow.

Based on what I know about it already, it is supposed to be very similar; the only significant difference being wheels. A mountain board is longer than a skateboard, has bindings with ratchets, and is controlled pretty much the same way as a snowboard (leaning toeside and heelside)

They're designed to be used downhill on grass, but can also be used on anything else really.

This is a Trampa mountain board:



I'm just not sure if it would be worth buying one, being a college student with limited extra money...
My worst extreme-sports wipeout ever was on rollerblades down a super-steep hill that I couldn't stop myself from falling down. My second worst happened on a gravel slope at high speed on a mountain board.

I'll never try these sports ever again. The pain vs fun factor is just not there.

Surfing is my offseason fix.
wildshoetwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickz View Post
mountain boards are made to go down mountains bro not grass.
Thanks for the info, I'll change that in the first post.
I know I could still go down a grass hill with one. I've seen a lot videos of it on YouTube, and I can ride my mountain bike down hill fine with it having the same kind of tires (except for being larger).

lol IDon't really want THIS to happen because I know when learning I'll screw up a few times...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildshoetwt
My second worst happened on a gravel slope at high speed on a mountain board.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 309
Default

Looks like freeboarding is my summer passion now...entire set-up is only $300!

Now I can practice switch riding all spring and summer
crash77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

Hey, freeboarding does look even more similar to snowboarding, especially being able to butter like that. Do they have bindings, too? Looked like it in the video but I couldn't really tell for sure.
Like mountainboarding, I've never heard of this brefore, neither. I like the look of it better though because a setup would be a lot cheaper and easier to get here in the U.S.

I would have one, slight problem though ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden_Death View Post
unless you live somewhere with long paved downhills with very little traffic they aren't all that practical.
Where I live is pretty much flat as far as pavement goes, and the roads are not very smooth.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog42 View Post
Hey, freeboarding does look even more similar to snowboarding, especially being able to butter like that. Do they have bindings, too? Looked like it in the video but I couldn't really tell for sure.
Like mountainboarding, I've never heard of this brefore, neither. I like the look of it better though because a setup would be a lot cheaper and easier to get here in the U.S.

I would have one, slight problem though ...



Where I live is pretty much flat as far as pavement goes, and the roads are not very smooth.
I was curious so I did some research and came across a company called freeboardstore.com. They sell complete boards (decks, wheels, trucks, and bindings) starting at $220. A great way to practice switch during the off season!
crash77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash77 View Post
I was curious so I did some research and came across a company called freeboardstore.com. They sell complete boards (decks, wheels, trucks, and bindings) starting at $220. A great way to practice switch during the off season!
I think I'm on their site right now looking at how they work. Caster wheels between skate wheels? [B]Ingenious.

Years ago I had a caster board, which was apparently supposed to be "just like snowboarding". - I call BS!
It had several problems:
1.) It was too short for me.
2.) I couldn't rock heelside to toeside; it was this weird...squirrelly motion which was stupid.
3.) Worst problem: It was just balanced on 2 caster wheels and was ridiculously easy to come off it. I couldn't land jumps, slide, or come to a sudden stop and easily lost control at high speeds.

These freeboards, however, look awesome!


*suddenly wants one"
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums