Longboarding Newb Q&A - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #31 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
CassMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Whitefish MT
Posts: 1,826
Default

wow! avg 13 mph, thats crazy! sounds fun, musta been some big downhills too

any vid or pics Argo?

i did not even know how big the trekking/distance riding thing was til i started reading silverfish, people are asking about good setups and training for cross country, and cross-continental trips! holyshyt!
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_darsh View Post
thinking of getting a longboard -- thanks cassmt for the inspiration! let me know how that mini shaka rides, it looks like something i'd be into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMT View Post
been doing a lot of reading, forum browsing (silverfishlongboard forum), trying to get educated...everything points how absolutely critical bushings are...testing different hardness for different disciplines, riding harder bushings on the bottom, softer cones on top, etc

this Bushing Selector page/app is one to bookmark...

Bushing Selector - MotionBoardshop.com

as far as how the minishaka rides, i think its frikkn amazing, but i really have nothing to compare to, i still ride it like a snowboard, and for that its great, carving and downhilling, starting to learn to get ready to really want to slide, lol. i think snowboarding helps in one big way: its not scary, ive gone pretty damn fast on it, but not nearly the normal snowboard speeds, so, its all ok...from what i'm gathering in comments, it's a superb entry-level setup, good all around for the beginner/intermediate.
Stan, maybe you could look at Churchill longboards. They're very cheap (the cheapest on the market, I believe), and they have many different shapes to choose from. Silverfishlongboarding gives Churchill a really good rep, and I trust them (silverfish) quite a bit since I don't skate that much. They say that the decks are very good and sometimes better than more expensive decks out there.

You guys are both right; bushings make a world of difference. I'm pretty light and the stock bushings on my shortboard were hard-ass rocks. I couldn't turn at all. I got some Bones medium bushings and they're so much better. I can tighten up the kingpin so my board's stable but still very turny. I highly recommend upgrading bushings. They were the cheapest part of my deck and I think they made the biggest difference.

Cass, make sure you get slide gloves. You can make them yourself or buy them. Learning to slide opens up a whole new world. You can go down bigger hills with confidence, knowing that you can stop easily (and safely). I don't have a longboard yet, but I've been doing slides on my street deck and it's great 'cause I can go down big hills and if I get speed wobbles, I'll bust into a coleman and keep going. Keep in mind that sliding on a longboard is much harder, unfortunately. The longer wheelbase means you have to go faster to slide and the softer wheels grip the pavement better. But longboards are much stabler.

I friggin hate my shortboard right now... 52mm 100a wheels, 31 inches, it is so sketchy going down hills. I can feel the pavement all the way up my legs... I just need some more money before I get myself a longboard...

Last edited by TheNorminator; 04-29-2013 at 06:02 PM.
TheNorminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
CassMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Whitefish MT
Posts: 1,826
Default

yep, got my slidegloves, as yet pretty much unscathed

been able to slide my park board since i was a kid, 180 slides, speed checks etc...this is a whole nother beast, have yet to be able to make it budge! hahaaa, it'll come....vids like this you see they aren't even going that fast (at first), more the technique, wheel hardness, and weighting i think...i've got the Butterballs, which are considered some really good slide wheels, but to me they feel sooo sticky (of course, i'm used to my 101a park wheels)


Last edited by CassMT; 04-29-2013 at 06:45 PM.
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vail, CO
Posts: 3,586
Default

One of the other guys had his gopro. If he actually took some video I'll post some of it. Really was just a cruise. My son and I cruise around a lot on our boards. Usually 4-5 miles at a time.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,672
Default

So I wanted to go skate tomorrow... And then it snowed. And it's still snowing. FML. And Casual, let's go skate together this summer?
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
stan_darsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Taos, New Mexico
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic View Post
So I wanted to go skate tomorrow... And then it snowed. And it's still snowing. FML. And Casual, let's go skate together this summer?
funny how other times you'll be thinking, "so i wanted to go ride tomorrow, but there's no new snow. FML."
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #37 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vail, CO
Posts: 3,586
Default

Yeah. I'll probably go ride abasin tomorrow.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #38 (permalink)
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMT View Post
yep, got my slidegloves, as yet pretty much unscathed

been able to slide my park board since i was a kid, 180 slides, speed checks etc...this is a whole nother beast, have yet to be able to make it budge! hahaaa, it'll come....vids like this you see they aren't even going that fast (at first), more the technique, wheel hardness, and weighting i think...i've got the Butterballs, which are considered some really good slide wheels, but to me they feel sooo sticky (of course, i'm used to my 101a park wheels)

The stickiness is easily solved by going faster. Seriously though, the butterballs will have a grippier feel. If you want soft wheels that are icier, look at Cults or Metro. There are a bunch more companies out there, but those are the first two that pop into my head.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
West Baden Iron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Baden Springs, IN
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMT View Post
been doing a lot of reading, forum browsing (silverfishlongboard forum), trying to get educated...everything points how absolutely critical bushings are...testing different hardness for different disciplines, riding harder bushings on the bottom, softer cones on top, etc

this Bushing Selector page/app is one to bookmark...

Bushing Selector - MotionBoardshop.com

as far as how the minishaka rides, i think its frikkn amazing, but i really have nothing to compare to, i still ride it like a snowboard, and for that its great, carving and downhilling, starting to learn to get ready to really want to slide, lol. i think snowboarding helps in one big way: its not scary, ive gone pretty damn fast on it, but not nearly the normal snowboard speeds, so, its all ok...from what i'm gathering in comments, it's a superb entry-level setup, good all around for the beginner/intermediate...room to upgrade and customize
Cass, you got me stoked for a longboard so I picked up a mini Shaka. I got it from whiskeymilitia for $90 shipped. For that price, I felt I couldn't go wrong.

Any advice for an absolute complete noob on a longboard? I'm an intermediate snowboarder with basically zero time on a skateboard.

Thanks,
Jason
West Baden Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Baden Iron View Post
Cass, you got me stoked for a longboard so I picked up a mini Shaka. I got it from whiskeymilitia for $90 shipped. For that price, I felt I couldn't go wrong.

Any advice for an absolute complete noob on a longboard? I'm an intermediate snowboarder with basically zero time on a skateboard.

Thanks,
Jason
Get a helmet and some gloves and just try things. That's really the best way to learn, in longboarding. And learn how to footbrake too, that'll save your bacon from time to time.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums