Streaming 101, do I need Apple TV? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 114
Default Streaming 101, do I need Apple TV?

Hey peeps what's up? I signed up for NHL Center Ice last night in a frenzy to watch Montreal play Toronto, and I can sign in from my mobile devices and online via my laptop, etc. How do I get it from there, to my TV? I have an iPhone, so is it as simple as getting an Apple TV box, then "pushing" the streamed games from my phone to my TV? I can't just sign in on the TV for each game since Verizon Fios sells their own package, etc. Thanks
jgood123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
West Baden Iron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Baden Springs, IN
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgood123 View Post
Hey peeps what's up? I signed up for NHL Center Ice last night in a frenzy to watch Montreal play Toronto, and I can sign in from my mobile devices and online via my laptop, etc. How do I get it from there, to my TV? I have an iPhone, so is it as simple as getting an Apple TV box, then "pushing" the streamed games from my phone to my TV? I can't just sign in on the TV for each game since Verizon Fios sells their own package, etc. Thanks
I have no idea how to "push" it to your tv, but I believe you can just buy a HDMI cable and watch the games from your laptop on your tv. You can also buy a wifi adaptor thing that accomplishes the same thing except wireless obviously. We use one at work so we don't have a "tripping hazard" cable run across the floor to the tv. It is a pain in the ass in my opinion, I'd rather just use the physical cable.
West Baden Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 114
Default

Hmmm yeah good call, didn't think about the HDMI route. My TV is internet capable so I can tap into like Amazon, Netflix with it, but it doesn't have a browser per say~ So not sure if you could use it like that. It's a Vizio if that helps anyone lol
jgood123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
ridinbend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bend
Posts: 1,771
Default

Yeah you can transfer the streaming onto your tv through Apple TV. The quality won't be fantastic, but it will play games. Do you have a gaming system? Might be able to download the programs app on something like xbox live, or you can also go the hd I cable from your laptop. I get mlbttv through my xbox live.

Last edited by ridinbend; 10-09-2014 at 07:52 AM.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 114
Default

Im thinking that the HDMI route might be best; retain pic quality and just need a long cable. I don't stream shows or have any other subscriptions to stuff so the need for the Apple TV, Roku, etc I'm not really certain of.
jgood123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
West Baden Iron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Baden Springs, IN
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgood123 View Post
Hmmm yeah good call, didn't think about the HDMI route. My TV is internet capable so I can tap into like Amazon, Netflix with it, but it doesn't have a browser per say~ So not sure if you could use it like that. It's a Vizio if that helps anyone lol
I have a few vizio tvs that have wifi. I really wish you could browse the internet with it. I would be doing exactly what you are trying to do. I don't have a laptop, so I haven't tried to stream it from my desktop or phone yet. I love NHL Center Ice. It makes long winter nights at work a little more bearable.
West Baden Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 114
Default

Oh I bet! This is my first NHL season in the sense that I've fully given up on the NFL and don't follow baseball much, but I played a long time. I recently went to my first game, Caps v Sabres preseason, and there's no comparison on cost, fun, or value that a hockey game provides v. all others that I've seen. MLS games are cool, but that's spring/summer
jgood123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
ridinbend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bend
Posts: 1,771
Default

You'll need an audio cable also.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 114
Default

Why's that? Xbox doesn't need more than one cable~ splain Lucy! you talking RCA-style?
jgood123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
West Baden Iron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Baden Springs, IN
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgood123 View Post
Oh I bet! This is my first NHL season in the sense that I've fully given up on the NFL and don't follow baseball much, but I played a long time. I recently went to my first game, Caps v Sabres preseason, and there's no comparison on cost, fun, or value that a hockey game provides v. all others that I've seen. MLS games are cool, but that's spring/summer
Same path here. I like the Colts, but I only watch if nothing else is happening. I don't plan my schedule around it like I used to.

Never been to MLS, but I went to my first NHL game last year. MSG watching Rangers v. Lightening. It was awesome. I've been watching hockey for years, but it is now the first thing I'll watch. I'm going to try to go to a Blues game this year. It's about 4 hours away, so it's a little hard to find time and someone to go with. I was hoping to get a game in this weekend while in NYC, but only the Islanders are at home and the schedule is too tight to get out to Nassau Coliseum.
West Baden Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums