i-root? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
uh oh a virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 278
Default i-root?

So I am going into Honors Algebra next year, so to prepare now I started to watch some Algebra 2 videos on youtube. Well I am skipping Algebra and going straight to Algebra 2, and watching some of these videos, I don't know what they are talking about. I understand everything, just some terms mess me up like the i-root. I tried googling it but I can't find an answer, so if you could please explain to me what an i-root is in Algebra 2 that would be great! Thanks! P.S. I'm going into my freshman year of High School if it matters. Example, in the yourteacher.com video for imaginary numbers advanced, a problem was (-7i[square root symbol]2)^2 Well I followed the whole video easily and got the answer right in my head, but whenever she would say i-root 2 I would be like WTF.
__________________
uh oh a virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
With extra cheese.
 
CheeseForSteeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,750
Default

No number squared can be negatuive. This is because any positive number times itself is positive and any negative number times itself (a negative times a negative) is also positive. A negative times a positive is the only way to multiply two numbers and get a negative.

'i' (and sometimes it's written as 'j' in upper level math class) is simply a way to denominate a number that when squared IS negative number. i^2 = -1. But if you solve for i, i = sqrt(-1) which isn't a real number.

If you ever become an electrical engineer, these become very important because EE's use it for representing different concepts in AC power (the power in your house) becaue AC power is phase dependent based on the phase of the current and voltage (these vary).

All you need to know is i^2 = -1. Or that i = sqrt(-1) ... the same thing, just square or square root both sides to go back and forth.

If a problem asks you to solve for sqrt(-5)= ?

Well, sqrt(-5) = sqrt(5 * -1) = sqrt(5)*sqrt(-1) ... but sqrt(-1) = i

So the answer is sqrt(5)*i
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,274
Default

get a fucking life - its summertime... go try and dive in some pussy or something
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
HoboMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
No number squared can be negatuive. This is because any positive number times itself is positive and any negative number times itself (a negative times a negative) is also positive. A negative times a positive is the only way to multiply two numbers and get a negative.

'i' (and sometimes it's written as 'j' in upper level math class) is simply a way to denominate a number that when squared IS negative number. i^2 = -1. But if you solve for i, i = sqrt(-1) which isn't a real number.

If you ever become an electrical engineer, these become very important because EE's use it for representing different concepts in AC power (the power in your house) becaue AC power is phase dependent based on the phase of the current and voltage (these vary).

All you need to know is i^2 = -1. Or that i = sqrt(-1) ... the same thing, just square or square root both sides to go back and forth.

If a problem asks you to solve for sqrt(-5)= ?

Well, sqrt(-5) = sqrt(5 * -1) = sqrt(5)*sqrt(-1) ... but sqrt(-1) = i

So the answer is sqrt(5)*i
This is why I hate math, shit does not follow a system of logic but rather a unique concocted method for each desired outcome.

I second ShredLife's notion.
__________________
PowderHound and TreeNinja
HoboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
uh oh a virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboMaster View Post
This is why I hate math, shit does not follow a system of logic but rather a unique concocted method for each desired outcome.

I second ShredLife's notion.
But it makes perfect sense to me. I actually like math and learning new things. Besides, it's preparing me for the rest of my life so I really can't loose. And of course I would like some pussy, but I'm not worried, it will come eventually ^_^
__________________
uh oh a virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Flick Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana *sigh*
Posts: 4,168
Default

This is why I was 98th percentile in verbal on my SATs and functionally retarded in the math section.

In the end, I became a writer and the only time I use math is when I tip.
__________________
Zombie Nation
Gear:
Rome Design 165 / Rome Arsenals
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
uh oh a virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
This is why I was 98th percentile in verbal on my SATs and functionally retarded in the math section.

In the end, I became a writer and the only time I use math is when I tip.
Haha. The tip is to just not get overwhelmed. No matter how hard or confusing it is, just say its easy and look over the formula in sections 3-4 times. You will get it, I promise! Anybody can write, but only the few can understand the mathematical language ^_^ I am a really good writer, but I am also good with numbers. My only concern is what job I can get. I only plan for the future =P Once I have a good income of a minimum of 13k+ a month(my goal is to beat my parents, that's kinda our motto) I will be able to take a breather.
__________________
uh oh a virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh oh a virus View Post
My only concern is what job I can get. I only plan for the future =P Once I have a good income of a minimum of 13k+ a month(my goal is to beat my parents, that's kinda our motto) I will be able to take a breather.
you are the problem with this country.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
uh oh a virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
you are the problem with this country.
Meh I am religious and all and I know that money isn't everything, I just want my kids to have a better life then I did.
__________________
uh oh a virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
HoboMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
This is why I was 98th percentile in verbal on my SATs and functionally retarded in the math section.

In the end, I became a writer and the only time I use math is when I tip.
This is me as well, which is why I'm naturally biased to hate math. I'm actually not that bad at math, I just can't stand doing it.
__________________
PowderHound and TreeNinja
HoboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums