anyone here ride... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 187
Default anyone here ride...

a motorcycle? haha
__________________
2010 152 LibTech Skate Banana, 2010 Ride nRc Bindings
newnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 212
Default

I used to test ride for Buell & Harley Davidson. I also had several of my own bikes, but I had to sell them all when I moved into an apartment with no garage. I do miss it very much & have been thinking of getting a bike when I have the $ to do so. What do you ride? I used to have a GSXR 750 & 1000, as well as a Honda Silverwing, CBR F1 & a slew of other bikes that were "mine" for anywhere from 1 day to 3 months.
handscreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 187
Default

i currently don't have a bike. saving up to buy one. will be my first. looking at an older model so i can get the feel of things before i get a nice one. starting to see how big the riding community is...just like snowboarding. i'm picking up my helmet sometime this week. going for a shoei rf 1100. gotta go back to the store and confirm the fit...pretty excited haha
__________________
2010 152 LibTech Skate Banana, 2010 Ride nRc Bindings
newnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,427
Default

I had a Yamaha FZ6 for my first bike and loved it. Put 20,000 km on in the first year just pure pleasure riding! (I drive a company truck) After that I got an R1 which is a great machine but uncomfortable to do less than 100 km/h on (at higher speeds the wind speed takes the weight off your wrists)...

Then I got a big speeding ticket and decided to get out of the bike game for a while. I really miss it though, there's nothing like it...

Have fun, be safe, get good gear!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I had a Yamaha FZ6 for my first bike and loved it. Put 20,000 km on in the first year just pure pleasure riding! (I drive a company truck) After that I got an R1 which is a great machine but uncomfortable to do less than 100 km/h on (at higher speeds the wind speed takes the weight off your wrists)...

Then I got a big speeding ticket and decided to get out of the bike game for a while. I really miss it though, there's nothing like it...

Have fun, be safe, get good gear!
that leads to my next question...how do you constitute good gear from bad? everything has standards and qualifications to meet. like the helmets for example...everything is DOT approved, now they have to pass the SNELL (sp?) requirements...although i have pretty much decided on which helmet i want from going in to see how they fit, the jackets and boots vary so much in design and technology that it's such a headache to decide which one to pick . i think of riding kinda like snowboarding, express yourself. wear what you want, but is there anything specific i should look for when buying gear?
__________________
2010 152 LibTech Skate Banana, 2010 Ride nRc Bindings
newnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
HoboMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,314
Default

Eventually I would love to get an on-off road bike, I could never justify getting a street bike because I would kill myself . Way too dangerous, especially when you're crazy.
__________________
PowderHound and TreeNinja
HoboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bcasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 103
Default

Motorcycles get me through the off-season!
Yamaha R6 here.. Unfortunately a ton of irresponsible people like sport bikes and drive the insurance up on them a ton from all their accidents. I am very tempted to change to a different bike class to save some $$$.
__________________
Cruising @ Lake Louise:
http://youtu.be/XT1tIKSD-5k
Sunshine Village - Wawa Chair run:
http://youtu.be/vc3cnK0Zhw8
bcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey View Post
Motorcycles get me through the off-season!
Yamaha R6 here.. Unfortunately a ton of irresponsible people like sport bikes and drive the insurance up on them a ton from all their accidents. I am very tempted to change to a different bike class to save some $$$.
harley...? haha
__________________
2010 152 LibTech Skate Banana, 2010 Ride nRc Bindings
newnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
With extra cheese.
 
CheeseForSteeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I had a Yamaha FZ6 for my first bike and loved it. Put 20,000 km on in the first year just pure pleasure riding! (I drive a company truck) After that I got an R1 which is a great machine but uncomfortable to do less than 100 km/h on (at higher speeds the wind speed takes the weight off your wrists)...

Then I got a big speeding ticket and decided to get out of the bike game for a while. I really miss it though, there's nothing like it...

Have fun, be safe, get good gear!
This can be corrected by riding posture and some good stomp grip on the tank. By squeezing the tank you now can support you upper body weight through your core which takes your weight and transfers it. It makes your steering inputs much more light and direct which can improve your riding considerably.

Stomp grip is probably the best mod you can do to a bike and easily the best dollar for dollar.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnew View Post
that leads to my next question...how do you constitute good gear from bad? everything has standards and qualifications to meet. like the helmets for example...everything is DOT approved, now they have to pass the SNELL (sp?) requirements...although i have pretty much decided on which helmet i want from going in to see how they fit, the jackets and boots vary so much in design and technology that it's such a headache to decide which one to pick . i think of riding kinda like snowboarding, express yourself. wear what you want, but is there anything specific i should look for when buying gear?
Yeah I think the only things that are really rated are the helmets. Gloves you might want some plastic knuckle protection, high boots (proper riding boots) are much better than any low cut boots or for the idiots that ride in running shoes!

A lot of people will say that textile jackets and pants can burn through more easily than leather, but on the other hand gear is only good if you are wearing it. I had a leather jacket with no padding for the cold months, and a good textile jacket with full armor for the warm months.

I found Alpinestars stuff to fit me very well, be quite comfy and long lasting, but I'm sure the other manufacturers are good too. I still have my racing suit that I never really wore (bought it for a track day and then sold the bike before the track day!) not sure what I'm going to do with the suit...

Have fun!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums