Carson City. Anyone here live there? Or abouts? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
mixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post

That desert cowboy culture is just interesting...


cowboys are hawt.
__________________
if a cat fucked a shark, the babies would be called women. snowklinger
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ComeBack_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 321
Default

As a former South Lake Tahoe resident, I can answer a few of your specific questions:

*It's cheap for a reason:
Not to knock Carson City, but there just isn't a lot there. The city really only exists now because it's where the 395 and Hwy 50 connect, and it's built around these two highways with a lot of the economy based on people driving through. You've got a bunch of fairly crummy-mediocre casinos, motels, and gas stations, and the rest of it is pretty quiet. From what I know from people who lived there, the #1 thing most Carson City residents do for recreation is head up to Tahoe or head into Reno. Personally, I would only head down to Carson City to stock up at Costco or drive through on my way to the airport in Reno.

However, it is generally a safe and affordable city. Yes, there are a lot of old people. Younger people tend to move away en masse.

*You can't always get up to Tahoe in a storm: During big storms, NHP does mandatory chain controls at the start of the roads up to Tahoe from Carson, including Highway 50 (the main one) and Kingsbury Grade (the long way). During very big storms, they will close the roads until they can get (and keep) them plowed. Most of the time though, you'll be fine if you have:

a) a 4wd or awd car with dedicated snow tires
b) tire chains, properly affixed

No matter what, expect some traffic on the way up on the big snow days.

* There are some good "foodie" places, but not like LA: There are a couple of well-regarded sushi restaurants and at least one Vietnamese place that I know of in Carson, but you will not find the kind of variety and choices for restaurants and cuisines that can be found in LA. Not even close.

Anyways, Carson City might be a good fit for you, but it depends on what you want. Personally, I'd be bored to death if I lived there, but that's me. Wherever you end up heading, I wish you good luck with your move.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mixie View Post
well, it's close to tahoe and it's NOT in california.

Im renting my house out in LA this spring so I can GTFO of cali. Carson City is on the top of the list of possible places to move to. Im going to check it out in january and again in the spring along with a few other places.

in the mean time...any one have any info you'd like to share? I've already browsed the websites for the chamber of commerce and the city itself. I'm not too concerned with the work situation however. As long as there is reliable high speed internet, Im pretty good on that front.

Mostly curious about what it's like to live there, how easy it is to get to tahoe when it's dumping is it all old people and families etc? According to census data it's not all old people but it seems like the only reason people move there is to retire (which is kinda of what Im doing but Im younger then most retireees!)


I figure the crime and drugs can't be worse then where I am now and any entertainment i need wouldb e fount in tahoe.

however Im concerned about food. Like is there thai, viet namese and sushi?! or am I gonna have to forgo that?
ComeBack_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
mixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
As a former South Lake Tahoe resident, I can answer a few of your specific questions:

*It's cheap for a reason:
Not to knock Carson City, but there just isn't a lot there. The city really only exists now because it's where the 395 and Hwy 50 connect, and it's built around these two highways with a lot of the economy based on people driving through. You've got a bunch of fairly crummy-mediocre casinos, motels, and gas stations, and the rest of it is pretty quiet. From what I know from people who lived there, the #1 thing most Carson City residents do for recreation is head up to Tahoe or head into Reno. Personally, I would only head down to Carson City to stock up at Costco or drive through on my way to the airport in Reno.

However, it is generally a safe and affordable city. Yes, there are a lot of old people. Younger people tend to move away en masse.

*You can't always get up to Tahoe in a storm: During big storms, NHP does mandatory chain controls at the start of the roads up to Tahoe from Carson, including Highway 50 (the main one) and Kingsbury Grade (the long way). During very big storms, they will close the roads until they can get (and keep) them plowed. Most of the time though, you'll be fine if you have:

a) a 4wd or awd car with dedicated snow tires
b) tire chains, properly affixed

No matter what, expect some traffic on the way up on the big snow days.

* There are some good "foodie" places, but not like LA: There are a couple of well-regarded sushi restaurants and at least one Vietnamese place that I know of in Carson, but you will not find the kind of variety and choices for restaurants and cuisines that can be found in LA. Not even close.

Anyways, Carson City might be a good fit for you, but it depends on what you want. Personally, I'd be bored to death if I lived there, but that's me. Wherever you end up heading, I wish you good luck with your move.

thanks!!! This is EXACTLY the info Im looking for.

I've lived in Los Angeles my ENTIRE life and I spent my 20s living in Hollywood. I am OVER and DONE with that shit....I do like to hike, mountain bike, road bike, snowboard (duh) etc. Would be nice if there were some other people to hook up with for such things but it's not the end of the world if not. I do most of those things alone now, mostly due to my very odd work schedule and, well frankly most people in LA don't do outdoorsy things. And if they do , they do them with their bluetooth headset in while talking about work...don't get me started.


I do have a car with AWD. Currently have no need for snow tires. So there is that. Traffic means that I can find people to carpool with on pow days. right? Always a plus. (Im a chick, I like men to drive me around, I won't lie)

I can handle a bit of traffic. I am more concerned with being able to road bike in the summer without dealing with angry drivers or thick smog. There are days in the summer that the air is so bad I don't go outside.


Food thing, I can deal with. One sushi place was more then I was expecting to be honest. I could stand to eat out less anyway

I can't see being that bored if tahoe is so close....

All I need is to be NOT in cali, >hour drive to a major resort and acess to high speed data. The hi speed data requirement rules out a lot of places.... it might even suck in CC. It's something I need to look into.
__________________
if a cat fucked a shark, the babies would be called women. snowklinger

Last edited by mixie; 11-17-2012 at 06:59 PM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
wvbms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 71
Default

It seems to me that your best option is to live on the NV side of Tahoe. About 1/3 of the lake is in NV. Honestly the NV side is probably the most attractive section of the lake, as far as neighborhoods and coastline. Real estate has dropped drastically up here over the last 4-5 years, so I think you'll be surprised to find what you can get for your money.

Personally I wouldn't live in Carson. It's only 30 minutes away from Tahoe, but it seems like a world away in just about every aspect. You'll see for yourself in January I guess. You may also want to check out Gardnerville/Minden. These are 2 little towns just south of Carson and are more family oriented and cleaner, with really easy access to Tahoe. But again, you might as well just live at the lake. There is something amazing about living up here that you just don't get living "off the hill". Sure, you'll get less for your money when it comes to the roof over your head, but you'll get soooo much more once you step out of your front door.

Last edited by wvbms; 12-01-2012 at 09:49 PM.
wvbms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
mixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbms View Post
It seems to me that your best option is to live on the NV side of Tahoe. About 1/3 of the lake is in NV. Honestly the NV side is probably the most attractive section of the lake, as far as neighborhoods and coastline. Real estate has dropped drastically up here over the last 4-5 years, so I think you'll be surprised to find what you can get for your money.

Personally I wouldn't live in Carson. It's only 30 minutes away from Tahoe, but it seems like a world away in just about every aspect. You'll see for yourself in January I guess. You may also want to check out Gardnerville/Minden. These are 2 little towns just south of Carson and are more family oriented and cleaner, with really easy access to Tahoe. But again, you might as well just live at the lake. There is something amazing about living up here that you just don't get living "off the hill". Sure, you'll get less for your money when it comes to the roof over your head, but you'll get soooo much more once you step out of your front door.

I'd like to live in Tahoe, it's first choice on the list. I might be able to make it happen at least eventually. There are a few other things that make me apprehensive about tahoe.

•I'm not sure I want the total winter climate. I want a decent growing season for a veggie garden, and maybe a pet goat. Out side of snowboarding my other hobby is road biking. I like to do it year round if I can. Tho I guess I could switch to year round mountain bike.

•I would like the option to take classes at UNR, and carson city is in the middle.

•high speed data? How wide are the intertubez in Tahoe? I know in mammoth they are small itty bitty tubez. I need a fat pipeline if you know what I mean.

My plan is to live there for a year or so (where ever it may be) and if I want to stay sell my place in LA. I really want to leave CA and I'd prefer to move even further away but I can't as long as my parents are in So Cal.

I'm doing a road trip in january, I'm actually planning it now. as far as minden etc...I hate children so Im not interested in a family community. That are might work but rent is high. I'd have to sell my place in la and buy something in nv. Not sold on that idea just yet. I not even close to underwater on my place in ca so I'd prefer to just rent it out.
__________________
if a cat fucked a shark, the babies would be called women. snowklinger

Last edited by mixie; 12-02-2012 at 11:48 AM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ComeBack_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
•I'm not sure I want the total winter climate. I want a decent growing season for a veggie garden, and maybe a pet goat. Out side of snowboarding my other hobby is road biking. I like to do it year round if I can. Tho I guess I could switch to year round mountain bike.
Carson City is not exactly lush with greenery or known for it's "growing season" (or it's pet goats), so if this is a big priority of yours, do not live in Tahoe or Carson City. Neither climate is ideal.

However, Tahoe is HEAVEN for road bikers. Do a bit of research and you'll find out just how popular the entire Tahoe basin is for all manner of bike enthusiasts.
Quote:
•I would like the option to take classes at UNR, and carson city is in the middle.
If you live in North Tahoe (Truckee, Tahoe City, a few other places) you're closer to Reno (and specifically UNR) than you would be in Carson City, and it's pretty much a straight shot down the highway. Carson City is still a good 30-45 mins from UNR, so you actually wouldn't be as close as you might think.
Quote:
•high speed data? How wide are the intertubez in Tahoe? I know in mammoth they are small itty bitty tubez. I need a fat pipeline if you know what I mean.
Fast, solid interwebz in Tahoe (at least in South Lake, where I lived). Rumor has it Al Gore built these tubes himself, in the middle of a blizzard, then 50-50'd them. True story.
Quote:
I'm doing a road trip in january, I'm actually planning it now. as far as minden etc...I hate children so Im not interested in a family community.
Minden and Gardnerville are smaller, shittier versions of Carson City, and fast access to Tahoe (think 20-25minutes) is available only when Kingsbury Grade is open. Again, any major storm will back traffic up to a standstill, or close it down entirely... basically, you're right to skip the idea of Minden or G-ville.

As far as the rest of it goes, it sounds like you're going to have to prioritize. To state the obvious: Tahoe and Carson are not LA, do not have as many conveniences or luxuries, and the weather is very different. You're not going to get everything you want anywhere in the country, so decide what's most important to you.

Last edited by ComeBack_Kid; 12-02-2012 at 11:22 PM.
ComeBack_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
mixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
However, Tahoe is HEAVEN for road bikers. Do a bit of research and you'll find out just how popular the entire Tahoe basin is for all manner of bike enthusiasts.

I'm well aware of the road biking there, which is why I want to be close. While Im not expecting 'lush' climate I am not sure I like the idea of shoveling a whole lot of snow being down in the valley is a lot less snow. Im kinda of a weather wuss

Then it's also the decision of condo in tahoe or a house in the valley, you know? Not gonna afford a house in tahoe any time soon. I could get a house on a few acres in the valley but could only afford a condo at the lake. If that ever changes, well Id not be having this discussion


Good to know about the internet speed and traffic situation. I'd love to live in truckee or tahoe city (i guess I'd have to learn to shovel) and I have a buddy who's trying to get me to move there. So he can crash on my couch no doubt! But for business reasons I'd like to be in nevada rather then california. Actually, if I was going to stay in cali, I'd just move to mammoth, which I am also considering. There's great road biking here! But the internet here sucks, it would mean driving down to bishop more often then I would like.

the more I look into it, I might give up on leaving cali after all. I should be just happy enough to escape la
__________________
if a cat fucked a shark, the babies would be called women. snowklinger

Last edited by mixie; 12-04-2012 at 08:38 PM.
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ComeBack_Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixie View Post
the more I look into it, I might give up on leaving cali after all. I should be just happy enough to escape la
Yeah, I kind of got the feeling this was more of a "feeler" thread than an "I'm moving" thread. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
ComeBack_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
mixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
Yeah, I kind of got the feeling this was more of a "feeler" thread than an "I'm moving" thread. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
oh no. Im moving out of LA for sure. Where to is the question!

this thread is just getting ideas for places to check out.
__________________
if a cat fucked a shark, the babies would be called women. snowklinger
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums