Why can't we hold on to female members? - Page 24 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #231 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 6,406
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLegoGal View Post
I feel like I'm only qualified to post in Off-topic since I've only just completed my 3rd day snowboarding today. Yep, that's right..I didn't leave the forum, I've been in Snowshoe with absolutely no cell signal and no wifi for 3 days...
3 days eh?? So,.. How'd it go?

You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

Feb/Apr 2011. (27) days!
2011/12 (38) days!
2012/13 (48) days!
2013/14 (44) days!
2014/15 (00)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015/16 (28) days!

"The Older I get,.. The faster I was!!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chomps1211; 01-27-2013 at 06:43 PM.
chomps1211 is online now  
post #232 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Coal creek canyon, Co
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLegoGal View Post
I feel like I'm only qualified to post in Off-topic since I've only just completed my 3rd day snowboarding today. Yep, that's right..I didn't leave the forum, I've been in Snowshoe with absolutely no cell signal and no wifi for 3 days. But anyway, I still do read the other topics, just wouldn't know what to say.
Well, here's what ya do, head over to the trip reports section. Start a thread about the experience. Did you take lessons? If so, how were they? Did you rent gear? If so, where, and how was the service? Anything outstanding about the trip? Anything to complain about? These are things that riders of any ability like to know. Actually, reading about others trips is one of the main reasons I've stuck around here so long.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JeffreyCH is offline  
post #233 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Member
 
BeachLegoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
3 days eh?? So,.. How'd it go?

My first day was a week ago in another resort and it was very icy and slushy and I just kept falling. My second and third days..well I couldn't practice as much as I wanted because it was my children's first time skiing and I spent a lot of time with them, but I can do basic stuff like heelside turns and heelside traverses and toeside side slipping. I can't do toeside turns very well and when the board decides to go goofy on me, it's a toss-up whether I can heel turn my way to get back the regular way or I just fall.
BeachLegoGal is offline  
post #234 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 6,406
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLegoGal View Post
...I can do basic stuff like heelside turns and heelside traverses and toeside side slipping. I can't do toeside turns very well and when the board decides to go goofy on me, it's a toss-up whether I can heel turn my way to get back the regular way or I just fall.
I had similar issues with getting switch when I turned toeside. The advice I got was to watch my shoulder alignment AND keep my weight off the back foot when I was turning. That will definitely cause the tail of the board to swing all the way around especially if you're keeping your shoulders open & rotated into the turn! Once I started paying attention to that, the turns got easier, AND I wasn't afraid of getting switch early on!!! A nice bonus!

You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

Feb/Apr 2011. (27) days!
2011/12 (38) days!
2012/13 (48) days!
2013/14 (44) days!
2014/15 (00)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015/16 (28) days!

"The Older I get,.. The faster I was!!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chomps1211 is online now  
post #235 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Member
 
BeachLegoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyCH View Post
Well, here's what ya do, head over to the trip reports section. Start a thread about the experience. Did you take lessons? If so, how were they? Did you rent gear? If so, where, and how was the service? Anything outstanding about the trip? Anything to complain about? These are things that riders of any ability like to know. Actually, reading about others trips is one of the main reasons I've stuck around here so long.
Good idea. I may do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
I had similar issues with getting switch when I turned toeside. The advice I got was to watch my shoulder alignment AND keep my weight off the back foot when I was turning. That will definitely cause the tail of the board to swing all the way around especially if you're keeping your shoulders open & rotated into the turn! Once I started paying attention to that, the turns got easier, AND I wasn't afraid of getting switch early on!!! A nice bonus!
Thanks for the tip! I'm hoping to make at least two more trips before the end of the season. We are 6 hours drive from Snowshoe and live at the beach (I'm sure you figured that.)
BeachLegoGal is offline  
post #236 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 6,406
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLegoGal View Post
...Thanks for the tip! I'm hoping to make at least two more trips before the end of the season. We are 6 hours drive from Snowshoe and live at the beach (I'm sure you figured that.)
Another tip that helped me get comfortable with my turns was to use my lead arm to steer me. Hold your lead arm out & use it to point & steer your turns. The board will tend to turn & go where you point your shoulders.

This clip will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. This is from my switch riding lesson last Feb. 2012. But it applies to riding regular/goofy as well! As you can see I'm awkward & tentative about it, but this is exactly what I did riding regular to get comfortable with turning and keeping my shoulders basically in line with the board! Now, I get switch whenever I can, on blues & even some parts of the black runs up @ Boyne!!!
Hope it helps you:



...and in case you doubt how effective this technique can be, and how fast you can progress once you get comfortable,.. this is me riding switch within a day of getting back from Boyne at one of our local hills. The camera is mounted to my lead foot binding so all the views back up the hill is me switch!


You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

Feb/Apr 2011. (27) days!
2011/12 (38) days!
2012/13 (48) days!
2013/14 (44) days!
2014/15 (00)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015/16 (28) days!

"The Older I get,.. The faster I was!!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chomps1211; 01-29-2013 at 09:32 PM.
chomps1211 is online now  
post #237 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,213
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey look! It's the Old Creepy Guy with Super Narrow Stance video!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reviews and David Z's rants
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo is offline  
post #238 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 6,406
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Hey look! It's the Old Creepy Guy with Super Narrow Stance video!
Yeah!!! ...but I still managed to learn to ride, and I get switch better than U guy's!!! (Thanks for pointing that out to me back then BTW! My wider stance now is definitely better!)

You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

Feb/Apr 2011. (27) days!
2011/12 (38) days!
2012/13 (48) days!
2013/14 (44) days!
2014/15 (00)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015/16 (28) days!

"The Older I get,.. The faster I was!!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chomps1211 is online now  
post #239 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 AM
-Weekend Warrior-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murder Mitten
Posts: 2,678
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
Yeah!!! ...but I still managed to learn to ride, and I get switch better than U guy's!!! (Thanks for pointing that out to me back then BTW! My wider stance now is definitely better!)
zinggg!

Just don't mention knuckles to Leo. He's sensitive about that.

'12 NS Legacy 163

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 16
  • Boyne Mountain: 2
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Nubs Nob: 1
  • Lake Louise: 3
sabatoa is offline  
post #240 of 275 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Member
 
BeachLegoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
Another tip that helped me get comfortable with my turns was to use my lead arm to steer me. Hold your lead arm out & use it to point & steer your turns. The board will tend to turn & go where you point your shoulders.
Is that why when I did a "two thumbs up" I fell on my ass?!

I really appreciate your help. I can't wait to try it out as I'm sure that will help me a lot. My first day out I was just overwhelmed with everything and I think the voice in my head was probably too busy going "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit" instead of "hmm what techniques can I incorporate to become a better rider?"
BeachLegoGal is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome