The Youth of America - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Default

double post - I changed the second one before it went through so see comments below

Last edited by kawicivic; 02-08-2013 at 11:02 AM.
kawicivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstop13 View Post
Just turned 30 in december. I didn't say what she did wasn't disrespectful. I said multiple times that she was out of line, but to act like that judge wasn't somewhat out of line is wrong IMO. Sorry man I just don't have respect for our judicial system or our officers. I completely fail to see why everyone bestows judges as these "god" like figures who can't be questioned. Obviously, they shouldn't be questioned or disrespected inside the courtroom, but outsiders should be allowed to call out the shitty behavior of the courtroom.

And yeah, I agree, kids suck these days. But you know what, I deal with just as many prick, asshole motherfuckers in their 40's and 50's too. Some people are just assholes and don't respect other people. To act like this is completely a generational thing is way off base.
I am not saying its all generational - I agree there are messed up people of all ages. I think the ratio is off in the younger generations.

I can't say I disagree with your comment about our judicial system, however I learned at a young age that it must be respected. I can't stand most cops, because most of them are on power trips. I don't have a lot of interaction with our court system, so I don't feel comfortable on whether this is a normal thing or not.

The video in question took place in court where you agreed a judge should not be disrespected. I am just curious what you believe would have been an appropriate response? What I saw took place was originally the judge was going to go 5k and was disrespected once so he moved to 10k as a way of punishment and since he was disrespected again, more money did not seem to do it, so he threw 30 days onto it. Now, I am not sure what the girl did as I only watched the video, but the same legal system we just talked about will probably reduce this sentence and/or make it part of the final punishment. I think people forget that just because that is what the court says today, does not mean she is out after a week of good behavior because of overcrowded jails.
kawicivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #33 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
backstop13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawicivic View Post
I am not saying its all generational - I agree there are messed up people of all ages. I think the ratio is off in the younger generations.
Well I think most kids are disrespectful, regardless of what generation they grew up in. The thing is, a lot of people hit a certain age where they drop the disrespect because they figure out it just doesn't work any more in the real world. You may be right that there is a larger percentage of disrespectful kids compared to the "Leave it to Beaver" generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawicivic View Post
I can't say I disagree with your comment about our judicial system, however I learned at a young age that it must be respected. I can't stand most cops, because most of them are on power trips. I don't have a lot of interaction with our court system, so I don't feel comfortable on whether this is a normal thing or not.
That's what I meant too. Obviously there's a time and a place to question authority, and her timing was way off. I wouldn't question a cop while he was ticketing me either, but if he doesn't follow procedure during the ticketing/arrest, people should call them out about it at the public level. Look at what's going on in LA now. With the amount of corruption in our judicial system, how can one not question these guys moral compass just a little bit?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kawicivic View Post
The video in question took place in court where you agreed a judge should not be disrespected. I am just curious what you believe would have been an appropriate response? What I saw took place was originally the judge was going to go 5k and was disrespected once so he moved to 10k as a way of punishment and since he was disrespected again, more money did not seem to do it, so he threw 30 days onto it. Now, I am not sure what the girl did as I only watched the video, but the same legal system we just talked about will probably reduce this sentence and/or make it part of the final punishment. I think people forget that just because that is what the court says today, does not mean she is out after a week of good behavior because of overcrowded jails.
As I stated earlier, in my opinion, no one was purposely disrespectful until the judge flippantly told her "byebye" and waved her off. She simply stated "Adios". Maybe her intent was to be a smartass, but I didn't see it that way. She honestly looked to me like she was under the influence of something, and as someone who has never had any priors or arrest, probably did not understand the severity of the situation she was in. I can't imagine many 18 year olds that really understand or comprehend the amount of respect a judge demands, rightfully or wrongfully. In no way am I trying to absolve the girls behavior, but the judges actions just seemed excessive. I posted a link to a video where a local public defender even questioned the judge after the girl left the room. Typically, contempt of court is warned before action is taken. In this case that never happened. What should have happened, is after she exhibited whatever behavior the judge deemed to be disrespectful (flipping hair, talking about her jewelry, saying Adios, etc.), he should have warned her that she would be held in contempt of court if her actions continued. A public defender should have been appointed who could have then advised her of how she should be displaying herself, and then she should have been sentenced to the $5,000 bail. I seriously doubt we would be talking about this if that's the way things would have went down.
backstop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Default

I can agree that she probably had no clue how serious the situation is and its probably not her fault that she was not aware of that. I also agree that she probably should have had a public defender as well.

My only issue is that she was not smart enough to recognize the seriousness of the situation after having the amount doubled. Its the old "fool me once" saying. I have no problem with her actions, and because she failed to see that the consequences were getting worse, I do not pity her. I feel she brought it on herself.

I also agree that the judge probably lashed out emotionally as he continued. It was obvious that she hit a trigger with him and I agree that his mocking comment, could have gone without saying. Back to your comments about respect - someone who expects that level of respect should be held to the standards. Someone at that level should be above public mockery and should lead by example. This judge did not take the high road.
kawicivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #35 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
backstop13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawicivic View Post

My only issue is that she was not smart enough to recognize the seriousness of the situation after having the amount doubled. Its the old "fool me once" saying. I have no problem with her actions, and because she failed to see that the consequences were getting worse, I do not pity her. I feel she brought it on herself.
Can't really argue with you on that point. Regardless of how clueless she was about the judicial system, she should have quickly put two and two together and figured out it was only going to get worse the more she antagonized the judge.
backstop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #36 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 4,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstop13 View Post
Just turned 30 in december. I didn't say what she did wasn't disrespectful. I said multiple times that she was out of line, but to act like that judge wasn't somewhat out of line is wrong IMO. Sorry man I just don't have respect for our judicial system or our officers. I completely fail to see why everyone bestows judges as these "god" like figures who can't be questioned. Obviously, they shouldn't be questioned or disrespected inside the courtroom, but outsiders should be allowed to call out the shitty behavior of the courtroom.

And yeah, I agree, kids suck these days. But you know what, I deal with just as many prick, asshole motherfuckers in their 40's and 50's too. Some people are just assholes and don't respect other people. To act like this is completely a generational thing is way off base.
just sayin...every profession has its dicks and the nature of criminal court/police/law enforcement work and culture tends to be more dickish perhaps due to personalities that want god-like power (f-scale) and having to deal with the poorly behaved of society. However, irregardles of which side, if you act like a dick you are going to be treated like a dick...kind of a karma thing.
__________________
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
backstop13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
just sayin...every profession has its dicks and the nature of criminal court/police/law enforcement work and culture tends to be more dickish perhaps due to personalities that want god-like power (f-scale) and having to deal with the poorly behaved of society. However, irregardles of which side, if you act like a dick you are going to be treated like a dick...kind of a karma thing.
yeah no doubt. I guess that there are people who are put in these positions of power who really are good people too. I can imagine how even good people who don't strive for power can fall into dealing with so many criminals on a day to day basis that they become jaded as to how to give everyone a fair shake. They just automatically assume everyone is a shithead criminal and take the route of it's easier to just arrest them/throw the book at them and let someone else sort it out on the back end.

Last edited by backstop13; 02-08-2013 at 01:33 PM.
backstop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,970
Default

Different attitude, different judge, different outcome

__________________
'12 NS Legacy 163
Days on snow 2014/2015 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 0
  • Boyne Mountain: 0
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 0
  • Caberfae Peaks: 0
  • Crystal Mountain: 0
  • Bittersweet: 0
sabatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Varza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 327
Default

It looks like someone gave her a good drilling before the hearing in the second video

As for today's youth, I'm not sure if it really is worse these days or if it's just nostalgia goggles. People do seem to have a tendency of saying it was better in the "good old days", but is this really the case? I mean, I've been guilty of this myself, which has lead me to question it.

Now I actually think that it's not worse now, it's always been pretty bad (in whatever aspect of life), we just tend to overlook this. There have been, are, and will always be retards like this girl. This also goes for the "0.05%" mentioned in the second post. You can't really change human nature, but we have made some great societal advances.

Ok, that was my whole dose of optimism for the day. I'm all out now
Varza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Default

I can't be arsed to read through 4 pages of some contemptuous, inane, bullshit some of the older members spew, but the next generation will always seem worse than the previous one.

I did an entire freaking study on this phenomenon, this girl is nothing special. MY MOM USED TO LISTEN TO ROCK MUSIC BACK IN THE DAY.
Consonantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums