Help Spliff design a tattoo - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talking Help Spliff design a tattoo

Ok, I've finally decided that I wanna get a tattoo, and I already know what it is, but I could still use a little help. I want to get the word "Excelsior" tattooed. Excelsior is the state motto of New York (which is where I was born and raised); you can see it on the state crest of New York. It means "ever upwards" in Latin.

Some things I could use help on.
1. I've pretty much decided to have it on my upper back (between the shoulder blades), but I'm open to suggestions.
2. I was going to get it tattooed in a gothic type font, but I'd prefer a font that's relevant to the tattoo (i.e. maybe there was one popular type of handwriting for people back when Latin was popular)
3. I was thinking just the word might be sort of plain, so I'm looking for ways to adorn the tattoo to add a little flair.

any suggestions are welcome
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF is offline  
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Gustov
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
it can also be translated as "always higher" which you could play off as a nice double meaning, and would fit with the second part of your name on here.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:00 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sedition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF View Post
...but I'd prefer a font that's relevant to the tattoo...
ok, before any suggestions two questions (that might help guide the suggestions)

(1) why do you font to be relevant to word? (are you going after much meaning more than appearance?)

(2) Relevant in what way? Historical? Etymologically? Contextual? etc?

"Nancy Ninja Nabs Nefarious Nymph. Pays Price Per Pissed Pants!" -Flick

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sedition is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
 
T.J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bmezine.com has a lettering gallery. you can see a bunch of different ideas for fonts/styles and stuff. you will only get to see about 100 images for free but can purchase a membership for cheap if i recall.

i'm always browsing that site for ideas. best tatt gallery on the internet that i've found.

Passion Over Fashion
T.J. is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Danimal!!!!!!
 
Dcp584's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frederick, MD in other words to far from the big mountains
Posts: 1,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about this for flair....

You start with Al Gore in a pink G-string, Cape, and Zorro Mask. While he holds twin 24in flaming double headed dildos like swords. Then you add a word bubble. Excelsior!!!!

So what do ya think is it a go. If you get that you better have my initial aded to it real small somewhere so I get credit for the creative concept.

Sweet Tap Dancing Baby Jesus Christ It's Dogzira!!!!!! Eh.
Dcp584 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
ok, before any suggestions two questions (that might help guide the suggestions)

(1) why do you font to be relevant to word? (are you going after much meaning more than appearance?)

(2) Relevant in what way? Historical? Etymologically? Contextual? etc?
1) id just like for it to be more creative if possible. i wouldnt want to get inked and a knowledgeable scholar comes up to me on the beach one day and goes, "hey i like your tattoo, very esoteric. but you know what, you shouldve gotten it in so-and-so style, because it goes well with the history of the phrase" etc etc

2) relevent in any way. id just like to have picked the lettering style for a reason other than "i just thought it looked good". although i will ultimately put more weight on the aesthetics.
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcp584 View Post
How about this for flair....

You start with Al Gore in a pink G-string, Cape, and Zorro Mask. While he holds twin 24in flaming double headed dildos like swords. Then you add a word bubble. Excelsior!!!!

So what do ya think is it a go. If you get that you better have my initial aded to it real small somewhere so I get credit for the creative concept.
LOL

i actually like the word bubble thing but i dont think it would go well with this
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Danimal!!!!!!
 
Dcp584's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frederick, MD in other words to far from the big mountains
Posts: 1,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF View Post
LOL

i actually like the word bubble thing but i dont think it would go well with this
Damn... Really??? I think that idea is the Hawtness. You'd have girls all over you like white on rice.

Sweet Tap Dancing Baby Jesus Christ It's Dogzira!!!!!! Eh.
Dcp584 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sedition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF View Post
1) id just like for it to be more creative if possible. i wouldnt want to get inked and a knowledgeable scholar comes up to me on the beach one day and goes, "hey i like your tattoo, very esoteric. but you know what, you shouldve gotten it in so-and-so style, because it goes well with the history of the phrase" etc etc

2) relevent in any way. id just like to have picked the lettering style for a reason other than "i just thought it looked good". although i will ultimately put more weight on the aesthetics.
You want just font/text, or anything else encorporated with the text?

"Nancy Ninja Nabs Nefarious Nymph. Pays Price Per Pissed Pants!" -Flick

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sedition is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Gustov
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
since it's an old latin word, the only thing i can think of would be to have it in a roman type of writing, and when i think that i think of very simple all caps text.
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome