Beer...What do you drink? - Page 22 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #211 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Peche Lambic is the bomb. Love that stuff. But I reckon it's probably sweeter than Pomme. It's sweet from start to finish. There is a slight tartness to it as well. The closest thing I can compare it to is a Moscato wine. If you've had Moscato, it's basically a sweeter version of that with whatever the fruit is (they make several different fruit lambics) plus the tart.

BTW, it looks superb in the glass. Has floaties in it too.

Make sure you try Samuel Smith stuff as well. Solid brewery. ALL of their fruit beers are great. Chocolate Stout from them is my favorite stout. Their Oatmeal Stout is THE oatmeal stout.

I hear very good things about their Taddy Porter too. That one is harder to find for me.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants

Last edited by Leo; 04-02-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #212 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mikeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 108
Default

You guys should try making a lambic-stout float. You make it pretty much like a black&blue. It kind of mellows out the sweetness of the lambic.
mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #213 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,564
Default

Best lambic I have ever had is Mort Subite Lambic Framboise (again, available at Calgary co-op)...

It's from belgium, one of the sweeter raspberry beers out there (I think I've tried almost all of them!) but still an enjoyable session beer. They're not cheap, but a really neat beer to try.

I've just spent a night at Brewsters drinking everything from their Farmers Tan white, to the strawberry wheat (or is it white?!? lol) to the Raspberry lager. When I got home I cracked open a flying monkey smashbomb IPA.

It's like the difference between McDonalds and a home made burger. No comparison. This beer has 100x the flavour of the brewsters stuff (and I really like them as a brew-pub). Fuck yeah!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #214 (permalink)
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Best lambic I have ever had is Mort Subite Lambic Framboise (again, available at Calgary co-op)...

It's from belgium, one of the sweeter raspberry beers out there (I think I've tried almost all of them!) but still an enjoyable session beer. They're not cheap, but a really neat beer to try.

I've just spent a night at Brewsters drinking everything from their Farmers Tan white, to the strawberry wheat (or is it white?!? lol) to the Raspberry lager. When I got home I cracked open a flying monkey smashbomb IPA.

It's like the difference between McDonalds and a home made burger. No comparison. This beer has 100x the flavour of the brewsters stuff (and I really like them as a brew-pub). Fuck yeah!
That Mort Subite Lambic Framboise was actually my first lambic that I ever had. The apple one I posted up was my second. I have to admit, I like the tartness of the apple one more than the Mort Subite, but I think it's just because I'm going through a tart/sour phase right now.

And I used to be a fan of Brewsters beer until I started drinking proper craft beers, and now it tastes like piss to me. =/
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #215 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic View Post
And I used to be a fan of Brewsters beer until I started drinking proper craft beers, and now it tastes like piss to me. =/
I don't think I've ever had a proper sour beer!

Brewsters is piss compared to craft beer, but great compared to the usual bar suspects. Kind of a catch 22... I said tonight when I got home that if I could find something like this Flying Monkey IPA in a bar, I'd pay $10 a glass for it.

I'm done it already, and sad I don't have any more!

I suppose it is a Tuesday and I have to work another 3 days! lol
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #216 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
NWBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,036
Blog Entries: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I said tonight when I got home that if I could find something like this Flying Monkey IPA in a bar, I'd pay $10 a glass for it.
The bars up there don't carry craft brews at all? Just another reason why I love living in the PNW. EVERY bar carries at least one craft brew, and usually it's several.
__________________
Oh yeah!? Well, my mom says I'm cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #217 (permalink)
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post

I suppose it is a Tuesday and I have to work another 3 days! lol
It's only three days! Lol!
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #218 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post

Make sure you try Samuel Smith stuff as well. Solid brewery. ALL of their fruit beers are great. Chocolate Stout from them is my favorite stout. Their Oatmeal Stout is THE oatmeal stout.

I hear very good things about their Taddy Porter too. That one is harder to find for me.
tonyisnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #219 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Casual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 725
Default

I can't speak for calgary but in edmonton you have to know where to go, a lot of places have craft beer but its not very common. I think in Alberta 3% of beer sales are craft beer haha, PWN is more like 30% and as I understand almost every place you go into has craft beer? It's definitaly getting more popular but we are way behind.

This place is opening up soon, and they are already in Calgary:

http://edmonton.craftbeermarket.ca/
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #220 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz
 
seriouscat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 512
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Craft/ revolution/ wurst and national are the places I tried in Calgary so far.
__________________
I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs. Alexander Karelin
seriouscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums