Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Off-Topic General Discussion (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/off-topic-general-discussion/)
-   -   Credit Card advice (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/off-topic-general-discussion/7153-credit-card-advice.html)

BurtonAvenger 09-21-2008 04:30 PM

Credit Card advice
 
Even though globally our economy is pretty screwed in the pooch and well I might be out of a job here soon if the economy takes a turn into the shitter, I've been looking at credit cards. I'm borderline excellent credit, infact the only reason I'm not there is because I don't have a high limit credit card. So right now I've been doing my shopping around figuring out which one is better than the other and what not. But with the economy so bad I'm still curious if I should bother and what companies you guys think might be good.

BurtonAvenger 09-21-2008 11:55 PM

The card I have now was a prepaid to "build" credit and frankly I'm so pissed off at Wells Fargo these days I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the plug on my account with them. I could just get another card and get out of this fisher price my first credit card bull shit. I'd do Bank of America again if there was one that wasn't 70 miles away. Have to remember I'm trapped in the mountains.

I've been eyeing up Discovery and Capital 1. I'm not to worried about the debt thing because I'm fairly smart with my money. I just need this CC for some purchases I won't have the cash for, for a long time. I've been looking at just getting the Best Buy credit card that offers no APR for one year then either 6 to 10 percent after that. I'm only getting this CC so I can get a Macbook, Digital Camera, and Camcorder. I want to bang them out as one huge purchase on a new card that gives me no APR for a year and like a 3 grand limit then I can have it paid off by my estimates probably by next June.

PaoloSmythe 09-22-2008 05:45 AM

with regard to credit cards.... it is all that i ever use. i never use cash. i never have notes and defo never loose change in my pockets.

everything is on the plastic. it is cool. i pay no monthly fees or anything and if any vendor gets cheeky, i call the Amex of mastercard and get them to battle for me. the one thing i do pay, is my entire balance every single month, before the date and so i never pay any interest.

as a loan facility which allows you to spend money which is not your's, a credit card is the single most expensive and thus worse method you can consider. sell you internal organs, before you use a credit card to get into debt.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF 09-22-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe (Post 67097)
with regard to credit cards.... it is all that i ever use. i never use cash. i never have notes and defo never loose change in my pockets.

everything is on the plastic. it is cool. i pay no monthly fees or anything and if any vendor gets cheeky, i call the Amex of mastercard and get them to battle for me. the one thing i do pay, is my entire balance every single month, before the date and so i never pay any interest.

as a loan facility which allows you to spend money which is not your's, a credit card is the single most expensive and thus worse method you can consider. sell you internal organs, before you use a credit card to get into debt.

werd to that. i dont even know what the interest rate on my card is, because i pay the entire balance every month anyways. i charge everything to my card, from 2 dollar purchases to 200 dollar purchases. i dont like having loose change in my pockets :D

Andi 09-22-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger (Post 67078)
The card I have now was a prepaid to "build" credit and frankly I'm so pissed off at Wells Fargo these days I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the plug on my account with them. I could just get another card and get out of this fisher price my first credit card bull shit. I'd do Bank of America again if there was one that wasn't 70 miles away. Have to remember I'm trapped in the mountains.

I've been eyeing up Discovery and Capital 1. I'm not to worried about the debt thing because I'm fairly smart with my money. I just need this CC for some purchases I won't have the cash for, for a long time. I've been looking at just getting the Best Buy credit card that offers no APR for one year then either 6 to 10 percent after that. I'm only getting this CC so I can get a Macbook, Digital Camera, and Camcorder. I want to bang them out as one huge purchase on a new card that gives me no APR for a year and like a 3 grand limit then I can have it paid off by my estimates probably by next June.

BA the Best Buy credit card is probably going to be the best choice (in my opinion) for the items you are looking to buy. They offer great "no finance charge" deals on purchases. Every major electronics purchase (my Mac, 42" LCD, laptops, digital camera, etc.) that I've had in the last three years has been through Best Buy. I've never paid a finance charge because I've always paid before the end of the payment term. Usually I just do the 6 month "no finance charge" term because it makes the most sense in my case, but I know they frequently offer longer terms (i.e. 12, 18, 24, months no finance) on select items. On my latest Mac purchase they offered up to 24 months "no finance" which can be useful when expenses get tight. The downside I guess is that its a department store card and you can't use it outside Best Buy. You could always get the Best Buy MasterCard if that's a concern but keep in mind that the "no finance charge" doesn't apply.

BurtonAvenger 09-22-2008 09:58 PM

^ I thought about that one too because I will be using my CC for plane tickets and trips. I suppose I could go for the Best Buy CC, change my Wells Fargo over from a prepaid to an actual card. But they've been ass raping me with APR its like 18 plus percent because at the time I had no credit. Now I'm borderline excellent. Anyways figure I'll see who else chimes in with some advice for me and go from there.

Mooz 09-23-2008 12:09 AM

Get the Best Buy Mastercard. Then you can use it at best buy and elsewhere. Plus, using it for every day things that you pay off at the end of the month (or right away) shows constant good activity on the card which helps your credit even more.

Andi 09-23-2008 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger (Post 67221)
^ I thought about that one too because I will be using my CC for plane tickets and trips. I suppose I could go for the Best Buy CC, change my Wells Fargo over from a prepaid to an actual card. But they've been ass raping me with APR its like 18 plus percent because at the time I had no credit. Now I'm borderline excellent. Anyways figure I'll see who else chimes in with some advice for me and go from there.

The Best Buy MasterCard will earn you rewards for all purchases (I believe they offer a slightly higher percentage for purchases at Best Buy). Though the rewards are limited to Best Buy gift cards its still a sweet deal, especially if your into buying the products they offer. Don't rule out other rewards cards like American Express rewards, Capital One rewards, and Bank of America power rewards, those are great cards as well. I don't know how often you'll be flying but there's also airline rewards cards. Also regarding your APR issue, you should be able to call them and get a lower rate, especially if you have a good history of paying your bill on time (I do this once a year, it doesn't go down much but every little bit helps imo).

BurtonAvenger 09-23-2008 06:15 PM

I'm seriously thinking the best buy mastercard would be the best. But man right before the economy went in the shitter no APR for 12 months, now its 90 days. I'm going to hunt around a bit more but its looking more and more like this one might be the one I go for.

Thanks everyone for your insight.

BurtonAvenger 09-23-2008 06:55 PM

HAHA I'm not worried about being late on payments I can balance that out perfectly fine with my pay schedule and rent. Few more months and rent free oh yeah!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2