torrents yes/no - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
burritosandsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: slc utah
Posts: 928
Default

the only thing i pirate d/l is music. movies tv etc ill pay to own or tivo. the only reason i d/l music is because (having worked in the industry ) i know that b4 any artist got a contract they were handing out free cd's left and right to get themselves noticed. any artist that has a huge issue with pirate d/l has generally signed a total shit contract with the label of their choice. funny how bands like phish grateful dead and pearl jam can allow free recording at concerts and not prosecute anyone the sells those recordings and still make boatloads of money. if you are so desperate to get a record deal that you sign away almost all revenue then i just dont feel sorry for you.
burritosandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
scottik187
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If you're not the kind of person who buys albums and just listens to the singles, then I guess there is no difference...except that you miss out on the better songs!

The problem comes when people hear a song on the radio, then go online, illegally download the song, then go ahead and download the rest of the album. Now they have something for free that they would have had to pay for before MP3's.

Plus, taping off the radio was never legal, it was just impossible to police.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Vlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Varies
Posts: 1,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottik187 View Post
Plus, taping off the radio was never legal, it was just impossible to police.
Wrong, read this source

Radio music ripping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what the fair trade is about back in the day for private use, not trying to supersede the original copy of use for personal gain.
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
scottik187
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burritosandsnow View Post
the only thing i pirate d/l is music. movies tv etc ill pay to own or tivo. the only reason i d/l music is because (having worked in the industry ) i know that b4 any artist got a contract they were handing out free cd's left and right to get themselves noticed. any artist that has a huge issue with pirate d/l has generally signed a total shit contract with the label of their choice. funny how bands like phish grateful dead and pearl jam can allow free recording at concerts and not prosecute anyone the sells those recordings and still make boatloads of money. if you are so desperate to get a record deal that you sign away almost all revenue then i just dont feel sorry for you.
You're comparing apples and oranges.

You can't put successful artists with extensive back catalogue's and hundreds of thousands, even millions, of fans worldwide (such as Pearl Jam), in the same category as an up and coming band who are looking to make a name for themselves.

Pearl Jam can make bucket loads of money because they have such a large fan base and can charge $100 a ticket when they tour, and play to 20,000 people a night.

The same does not apply to up and coming band who have released only 1 album etc.

yes I agree with everything you said about sh*tty record deals, but for a band to obtain multinational success in the same magnitude of PJ, they pretty much need the backing of a multinational record label.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
scottik187
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaze View Post
Wrong, read this source

Radio music ripping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what the fair trade is about back in the day for private use, not trying to supersede the original copy of use for personal gain.
interesting!

however - the challenge:

"the digital format in this case changes the whole issue since it does not degrade over time and can be easily copied"
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Vlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Varies
Posts: 1,173
Default

Yup, I read that portion, however their main argument is the copying and distribution of the music, not for a private use. That one line was one of the very few mentioning a line on digital format for private use. Again, if I hear it on the radio or see it on TV, youtube so forth, promoting their music I don't see it morally wrong at all d/ling it free of charge.

I do agree with a previous comment that I do miss some of the other tracks I would not hear otherwise that may take the radio 2-3 years to play since they weren't as popular. Many CD's back in the day I enjoyed tracks the radio never covered so I understand this point, and that is part of the con of it. I don't lurk around to d/l an entire cd, only music I've heard that I enjoy.

Last edited by Vlaze; 12-04-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Vlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Varies
Posts: 1,173
Default

Oh and PJ agreed does have a huge ass fan base. I grew up listening to them when they first came out and their ablum was the first CD I ever bought. Their fans can consist of people 40's and upward all the way down to kids younger than 10 thanks to Guitar Hero and YouTube. They were my favorite back then and still a fav now!
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
burritosandsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: slc utah
Posts: 928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottik187 View Post
You're comparing apples and oranges.

You can't put successful artists with extensive back catalogue's and hundreds of thousands, even millions, of fans worldwide (such as Pearl Jam), in the same category as an up and coming band who are looking to make a name for themselves.

Pearl Jam can make bucket loads of money because they have such a large fan base and can charge $100 a ticket when they tour, and play to 20,000 people a night.

The same does not apply to up and coming band who have released only 1 album etc.

yes I agree with everything you said about sh*tty record deals, but for a band to obtain multinational success in the same magnitude of PJ, they pretty much need the backing of a multinational record label.

theres plenty of other folks i can use as successful musicians its just that p/j phish and g/d are widely known examples. the crux of this argument lies in the mtv made for tv type music. all labels are looking for the next best thing and musicians that are smart enough to realize that know the formula... work your ass off ( just like any other job )make a handful of indie releases and the labels will come calling but you will have the upper hand. for example r.e.m. from the eighties put out 5 indie records and when they signed to warner they did it on their terms for a boat load of money. a more recent example could be death cab for cutie who did much the same thing. besides these major label guys theres a shit ton of self made artists out there who put out their own stuff on their own terms. they may not be filthy rich but at the end of the day they control their own destiny. hell nowadays your better goin indie makin ok money and selling a song to nissan or apple than you are signing a major label deal that will put you in debt for everything from album art and studio time to stylists and photogs for shoots. of all the mass media music is the one where you can really really control your own destiny.
burritosandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Flick Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana *sigh*
Posts: 4,168
Default

I don't think you can successfully stop music pirates. I don't do it myself, but I know how prolific it is. The artist that embraces free music downloads will be the most successful. I think they can make their money from concerts and advertising and let us d/l their music free.

Besides, most artists only put 1 or 2 good songs on a CD anyways. Why would anyone buy it for that?
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparty View Post
I agree, I buy all my music.

The only things I can justify downloading is software that I can't afford even with a student discount, like Adobe After Effects of Final Cut Pro. That sh!t is expensive...

whaaat? you can download the full version of final cut pro for free? show me where to get it please
nitroboarder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums