Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Outerwear and Accessories (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/outerwear-accessories/)
-   -   Anon m2... SPARE LENSE. WHERE/WHEN/WHY? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/outerwear-accessories/114385-anon-m2-spare-lense-where-when.html)

SAVETHISNOOB 12-26-2013 07:13 PM

Anon m2... SPARE LENSE. WHERE/WHEN/WHY?
 
So I've got myself lovely pair of anon m2's (goggles) which as most will know, come with a low/high light lense.
The bluebird lense is blue solex I believe (guessing 7-15% VLT) and the low light I'm not so sure but guessing about 70% VLT. Will check the website.

Anyway. When I board it's in the alpes and I'm out from 'first lift to last call' as they say... Going for a week, leaving tomorrow :D
My issue is with the lenses.

I never wear a backpack but obviously will have my jacket/pant pockets. It's hard to comfortably find a place to store the spare lense, which on the m2 is very rigid and quite bulky.

Few options:

1) Should I check the weather forecast in the pm/am and choose a lense based on that?
- Am I right the the low light is a better all rounder and therefore I could maybe get away with that most of the time?

2) Stash the spare lense in my jacket internal chest pocket or the trouser cargo pockets? Worry here is breaking it and also if I fall on it awkwardly, it could really dig right into my ribs!? (M2 lense = rigid)

The conditions where I'm going can vary rapidly as clouds may be hanging around at lower altitudes then you take a higher lift and burst into the sunlight (amazing when that happens!)

Any insight would be raheally appreciated. :bowdown:

ARSENALFAN 12-26-2013 07:20 PM

If the resort has a parking lot, worst case scenario, you can just hike back and change them out. That is what I do when at Lake Louise. I have to make a decision everytime I go to Sunshine in Banff as to what the conditions will be like because its a 25 minute gondola ride each way. I have the M2s. If you can see sunshing throught the "Goats eye" they I put on my bluebird goggles. Otherwise, 99% of the time, I use the low light. I also have Oakley Crowbars. BOTH my low light lens and bluebird lens - Crowbar - are cracked due to putting them in my pocket. They crack up/down where the nose piece is. So putting lenses in your coat near the hip (my place of choice) or your pants is asking for trouble. They break very easily - AND IT IS THE INSIDE LENS NOT THE EXTERIOR ONE ON THE CROWBARS.


Good question.

ridinbend 12-26-2013 07:23 PM

I wouldn't recommend carrying them with you. I did that a few years back when I was struggling with my crowbars and variable weather. I broke a few pairs, even in my backpack. Smith does sell a hard case for goggles which I use if I'm wearing my pack.

Your eyes will adjust with time, but I personally would want to see terrain as best as possible. I ended up getting the IOx and their photochromic lens. Good luck.

SAVETHISNOOB 12-26-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARSENALFAN (Post 1373137)
If the resort has a parking lot, worst case scenario, you can just hike back and change them out. That is what I do when at Lake Louise. I have to make a decision everytime I go to Sunshine in Banff as to what the conditions will be like because its a 25 minute gondola ride each way. I have the M2s. If you can see sunshing throught the "Goats eye" they I put on my bluebird goggles. Otherwise, 99% of the time, I use the low light.


Good question.

Cheers man!
And you'll know from the m2 then that the lense is a pretty sturdy one, doesn't bend to fit pockets much.
Very helpful, so if you're caught out with the lowlight and it turns bluebird you just have to squint a little?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridinbend (Post 1373161)
I wouldn't recommend carrying them with you. I did that a few years back when I was struggling with my crowbars and variable weather. I broke a few pairs, even in my backpack. Smith does sell a hard case for goggles which I use if I'm wearing my pack.

Your eyes will adjust with time, but I personally would want to see terrain as best as possible. Good luck.

So do you end up with lowlight lenses much of the time?
Yup, hip/chest/abdo is where they'd be stashed and I do ride park 50/50 so high fall rate (and the fact that I'm nooby).

As a beginner I had my friends iridium Oakley ones all the time and didn't realise how bad my vision was 95% of days!

ARSENALFAN 12-26-2013 07:32 PM

I am pretty darn sensitive to light and often get migraines from squinting while driving. I don't have too many problems when it turns from overcast to bluebird with low light lenses. Not optimul for sure, but not the end of the world.

SAVETHISNOOB 12-26-2013 07:32 PM

Oh and not because I'm some rich guy (I wish) but I'm not as bothered by the lense breaking as it creating damage/pain for me.
As one of my rare chances to get a week to the mountain, anything that makes that week easier/more focused on riding is awesome.

SAVETHISNOOB 12-26-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARSENALFAN (Post 1373177)
I am pretty darn sensitive to light and often get migraines from squinting while driving. I don't have too many problems when it turns from overcast to bluebird with low light lenses. Not optimul for sure, but not the end of the world.

Ah, a fellow migrainer!
That's good to hear. I may take both out on the first morning just to have a fiddle and if the low light is acceptable, I'll stick with it unless amazing sun is forecast.
Guessing it's worse having a bluebird lens is flat light than vice versa

ARSENALFAN 12-26-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAVETHISNOOB (Post 1373185)
Oh and not because I'm some rich guy (I wish) but I'm not as bothered by the lense breaking as it creating damage/pain for me.
As one of my rare chances to get a week to the mountain, anything that makes that week easier/more focused on riding is awesome.

Well if your willing to roll the dice, I would take them. If you put them in your jacket I think you will have less of a chance of hurting yourself in any way. I think the plastic would break quickly under pressure and you would not be injured.:dunno:

I CERTAINLY DIDN'T NOTICE EITHER OF THE CROWBARS BREAKING WHEN I FELL. IT WAS ONLY LATER THAT I DISCOVERED THE DAMAGE.

SAVETHISNOOB 12-26-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARSENALFAN (Post 1373209)
Well if your willing to roll the dice, I would take them. If you put them in your jacket I think you will have less of a chance of hurting yourself in any way. I think the plastic would break quickly under pressure and you would not be injured.:dunno:

I CERTAINLY DIDN'T NOTICE EITHER OF THE CROWBARS BREAKING WHEN I FELL. IT WAS ONLY LATER THAT I DISCOVERED THE DAMAGE.

Hm. I'll have a think.
Checked the lenses.

Blue solex 25% VLT
Blue lagoon 80% VLT

Does this change anything? Glad that the solex is a little higher so not quite a full bluebird category lense. 80% does seem very low if the sun was to pop out :p

ARSENALFAN 12-26-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAVETHISNOOB (Post 1373233)
Hm. I'll have a think.
Checked the lenses.

Blue solex 25% VLT
Blue lagoon 80% VLT

Does this change anything? Glad that the solex is a little higher so not quite a full bluebird category lense. 80% does seem very low if the sun was to pop out :p

Nope. Doesn't change anything. Does the resort have an accessible parking lot where you could swap out at lunch? That is the best option.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2