Where is that perfect shell jacket I am looking for? Building up for next years trip to Japan
Spec for a new jacket:
- water resistant, 20K
- highly breathable, I am not clear where it starts but I've seen jacket with 25K
- hood with room for helmet
- wrist gaiters, taped seams, arm went, storm skirt and all that good stuff that keeps snow and water on the outside. Pockets for phone, lift ticket and credit card
. I don't carry much but a nice feature I read about is big pockets to warm your hands in when sitting in the chair lift on a stormy day.
2 jackets - different but same
** Oakley Unification Pro Jacket ($250, dropped from $550)
Oakley Unification Pro Jacket - Men's | Backcountry.com
Pros: RECCO system, goretex pro membran, and all other tech
Cons: Color, perhaps the black works, but not the others. No lining - only a shell.
** Homeschool Universe Jacket ($400)
Homeschool Universe Jacket - Men's | Dogfunk.com
Pros: 3.5 layer, highly breathable with homeschool system. Extension of the collar to cover the cheeks - nice in bad weather.
Cons: Colors, stiff and heavy?? 3.5 layer is the opposite of Oakleys, but still it's only a shell jacket.
One drawback of both these jackets are that they look short. I have a Thirtytwo jacket where the powder skirt goes beneath my back protection - this is a must for me. I always ride with back protection and if the skirt stays on top of it I have no use for the skirt. Perhaps a bigger size will help. My 32 is medium and I am usually wearing small.
Suggestion/comments on these jackets and others like Burton AK and other Goretext pro shell jackets. Please let me know.
At last little of me:
- 5'7" and 150lbs
- Allmountain freestyle - powder if I can choose
. Snowboarding as long as I can remember.
- From freezing cold to warm spring days - if the slope/terrain is good weather doesn't matter.
- I don't like a tight fit but not to baggy either.
Price level: $200-300 but I can wait for a sale