Oakley Prizm lenses - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oakley Prizm lenses

The new Oakley Prizm lenses are supposed to give a better contrast than the previous Oakley goggle lenses.

I'm interested in the Prizm rose lens for low light conditions. (It's for my Airbreak snow goggle.) However, I also read messages from people that still prefer the persimmon or yellow lenses for low light conditions.

So I was wondering: does the Prizm rose really improve contrast? And is it an improvement over the persimmon or yellow lenses for low light conditions?

Thanks!
evert67 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 06:57 AM
Fire on Ice...and Powder!
 
GreyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
There's already an extensive thread about these with a lot of responses.
I suggest you search for it.
GreyDragon is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:22 PM
Senior Member
 
J.Schaef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Snohomish WA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
On the Oakley Ipad, with whatever magic photo editing skills they use, Yes.

Real world: They are just a moderately dark rose lens. Don't waste your money.

13/14 days
60/75

14/15 days
let's not talk about it
J.Schaef is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:20 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ZacAttakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
ZacAttakk is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Member
 
NWskunkAPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evert67 View Post
The new Oakley Prizm lenses are supposed to give a better contrast than the previous Oakley goggle lenses.

I'm interested in the Prizm rose lens for low light conditions. (It's for my Airbreak snow goggle.) However, I also read messages from people that still prefer the persimmon or yellow lenses for low light conditions.

So I was wondering: does the Prizm rose really improve contrast? And is it an improvement over the persimmon or yellow lenses for low light conditions?

Thanks!
They are great dont believe the Oakley Haters that most likely never used them on the mountain.
NWskunkAPE is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:56 PM
Senior Member
 
J.Schaef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Snohomish WA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWskunkAPE View Post
They are great dont believe the Oakley Haters that most likely never used them on the mountain.

I have had them on the mountain. Bought a set of flight decks with the rose prizm lens. Returned them after one trip. Literally not one thing special about these lenses when out on the snow.

Not sure what is so great about them. They are a rose color lens, that does exactly what almost every other rose color lens does.

Smith sensor mirror is still FAR better than the prizm lenses.

Here is a photo of me on my way down from Camp Muir on Mt. Rainier. Just to prove that I am not one of these "oakley haters"


13/14 days
60/75

14/15 days
let's not talk about it
J.Schaef is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 AM
Member
 
NWskunkAPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Schaef View Post
I have had them on the mountain. Bought a set of flight decks with the rose prizm lens. Returned them after one trip. Literally not one thing special about these lenses when out on the snow.

Not sure what is so great about them. They are a rose color lens, that does exactly what almost every other rose color lens does.

Smith sensor mirror is still FAR better than the prizm lenses.

Here is a photo of me on my way down from Camp Muir on Mt. Rainier. Just to prove that I am not one of these "oakley haters"

I highley disagree. I saw a big difference than my brothers IO's Even he said after switching back that he would buy them.

Why would you take them back? Even if they didnt blow your mind whats the point of taking them back?
NWskunkAPE is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
 
linvillegorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWskunkAPE View Post
Why would you take them back? Even if they didnt blow your mind whats the point of taking them back?
I took mine back because that was the point - they were supposed to be game changers. I didn't really need new goggles, but everyone knows that riding in challenging light situations can be, well - challenging - so I decided to give them a shot. They weren't game changers. Not even close. The Smith blue sensor mirror is just a better low light lens, period. So, I took them back.

"People say that marijuana smoking is going to get in the way of my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fighting career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." -Nick Diaz
linvillegorge is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
J.Schaef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Snohomish WA
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWskunkAPE View Post
I highley disagree. I saw a big difference than my brothers IO's Even he said after switching back that he would buy them.

Why would you take them back? Even if they didnt blow your mind whats the point of taking them back?
Well, maybe oakley was catering to your gene pool when they made these lenses.

They didn't do squat for me in the way of adding any contrast. I put well over 50 days a year on goggles, and most of those days are in low light conditions.

I figured I'd give these a shot. Took them back because they didn't do what they advertise. That is $200 I could put towards gas, or bean burritos. Besides the fact that I already own the best low light goggle/lens combo created to date. I/Ox with the sensor mirror lens.

Like Linville said, if you have been using a dark mirrored lens in low light conditions, these would be a game changer, but they don't even come close IMO to the sensor mirror.

13/14 days
60/75

14/15 days
let's not talk about it
J.Schaef is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome