under armour vs. helly hansen - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
afm23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default under armour vs. helly hansen

hey... i was looking at buying a base layer, and have been considering the Under Armour 3.0 and the Helly Hansen "Warm"...
Can anyone recommend either of these?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm23 View Post
hey... i was looking at buying a base layer, and have been considering the Under Armour 3.0 and the Helly Hansen "Warm"...
Can anyone recommend either of these?

Thanks
UnderArmour coldgear is the way to go
oliveryochest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,430
Default

Under Armour Coldgear is great as a base layer. Among the best you can buy.

Haven't tried that other stuff
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dharmashred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lee Vining
Posts: 414
Default

UA I've tried many different base layers - Hansen, Hot Chillys, polartecs, the Under Armours are by far the best. I go for the relaxed fit in 2.0, classified as a midweight. Not sure what temps you are boarding in, but I would suggest the 2.0. I have the 2.0s and I hardly ever have to use a mid. Coldest temp I have boarded in with just the 2.0 base is 19f with some pretty gnarly wind to boot (like 30-35). The wicking in the UA cold gear is phenomenal, I am always dry. I also rock the UA bra and undies (ladies, the boy shorts are where it's at!!). The 3.0 layers can run you an addt'l $20-$25.00 a piece, and are meant for serious serious cold shit (could prob be used as a mid they are so warm, I would recommend trying the 2.0s first (again, depending on the temp/conditions you are boarding in. Spring boarding I was still able to rock the 2.0 pants without sweating balls. Maybe this helps a bit Under Armour Base Layer | GoBros.com
__________________
Every turn is a blessing.
dharmashred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
AWNOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 716
Default

Helly Hansen base layers made of merino wool completely blow anything UA makes out of the water. There is absolutely no question merino wool keeps you warmer than shitty, petroleum based UA cold gear. The merino wool fiber warms with your body and retains heat. The UA cold gear just suppresses the heat against your skin. Make you warm up slower, holds sweat to your body (makes you colder) and you smell like a fucken douche bag...literally.

Please do not buy UA over HH.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 190
Default

i've been using helly hansen/lifa lightweight stuff for years. generally, for maximum moisture wicking, you want thinner, lighter material and tighter fit. the warmth should come from your insulating layer. you can get heavyweight baselayers that try to deliver both moisture wicking and warmth but lightweight stuff transports sweat better. but i'm sure the UA lightweight stuff is just as good as the HH lightweight.

Last edited by hanzosteel; 12-21-2009 at 07:47 AM.
hanzosteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWNOW View Post
Helly Hansen base layers made of merino wool completely blow anything UA makes out of the water. There is absolutely no question merino wool keeps you warmer than shitty, petroleum based UA cold gear. The merino wool fiber warms with your body and retains heat. The UA cold gear just suppresses the heat against your skin. Make you warm up slower, holds sweat to your body (makes you colder) and you smell like a fucken douche bag...literally.

Please do not buy UA over HH.
What kind of Under Armour are you wearing? I've worn Under Armour for as long as 12 hours (7 of those hours snowboarding) and never once did it smell. There's this technology in these Merino Wools and Under Armours called Anti-Microbial. It neutralizes microbial odors. Actually, for Merino Wool it comes natural.

The real difference between Merino Wool and Synthetics is that the Wool will keep you warm even if it gets damp (from sweat or snow). Under Armour however, doesn't get wet. I have never once had a problem with Under Armour getting wet. If your Under Armour is getting wet, then you are not layering correctly. Like wearing Cotton underneath or over it. Or you might also be using a jacket with poor breathability. Under Armour is practically dry straight out of the washer. I have never had to put my Under Armour in a drier. I just take it out and let it hang and it is ready to wear within an hour or less.

I also like UA for it's compression fits. I didn't like the compression fit the first time I tried it, but now I love it. I understand why they make that fit. You forget that you have it on and it really, really wicks the sweat away. However, the base 3.0 is not compression fit. It is fitted which means it is slightly looser than compression so it will not have the moisture wicking performance to the level of a compression fit. The base 3.0 is also different material. There is no nylon in the base 3.0 and is softer than the regular coldgears. It is super warm. So warm that it is comparable to the Merino Wool product.

So here is the bottom line...

Merino Wool is the best fabric for winter sports to keep you warm. Hell, it is the best fabric for anything involved with winter in that respect. The material is just plain soft. So why am I defending Under Armour? Under Armour is already expensive. Merino Wool is even more expensive. Well, at least the properly constructed Merino Wool products are. Helly Hansen is a great brand, but they don't use 100% Merino Wool. They use around 50% for their warm baselayers. If you want a good Merino Wool product and price is not an issue, consider SmartWool. They make 100% Merino wool baselayers. The last factor that makes me recommend UA over Merino is the weight. Merino is not heavy by any means, it is actually very light. Compared to UA though, it is a noticeable difference. Since you are snowboarding, I don't recommend getting the wool or base 3.0. You should get a compression fit UA, and layer over it. Again, if price is not an issue, the absolute best combination would be to get a UA compression fit 1st baselayer, and a loose fitting merino wool 2nd layer. Now that will keep you super warm and dry.

Get the UA if you want to save a few $$. Get the Merino if you have $$ growing on trees in your back yard.

Edit: I forgot to add that Merino Wool just won't have UA compression fit's level of moisture wicking performance. Plain and simple.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants

Last edited by Leo; 12-21-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Jay29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 431
Default

Under Armour FTW!!!
Jay29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay29 View Post
Under Armour FTW!!!
Going to hijack the thread for a second...

Nothing against you Jay, but I hate when people post bumper stickers that say shit like "Out of a job yet? Keep buying Foreign."

Especially when they drive cars like Dodge and Ford. Dodge = Mitsubishi parts in a lot of their cars and Ford uses Mazda. Funny to see that sticker on a Ford Focus when it is actually a Mazda 3.

People don't realize that imports and American products are inter-twined. Remember, imports actually stimulate our economy. The big three didn't fail because of imports. They failed because of poor judgment calls like GM nixing the EV1. Another very poor decision that was made long ago was over-saturating the market with like 50 versions of the same exact car. Wait, is that a Suburban or a Yukon... oh it has a Cadillac symbol so it's an Escalade.

Yes, foreign makers do this too, but usually only have two brands. One for the normal population and another for the luxury enabled. I really hate what happened to people with jobs here in Detroit, but it is not the fault of foreign car companies. In fact, a lot of them have manufacturing plants right here in America that employ thousands of American citizens. Governor Granholm made a mistake with Honda. She let Ohio have them. I believe the big three will come out of this a lot stronger than before. They are already starting to churn out excellent cars now. The reduction in brands was a must in my eye. There simply was no need for that. This was going to happen regardless of who buys what from where.

Sorry for hijacking and spamming this thread. As a non-Caucasian American who drives a foreign car, I feel extremely uncomfortable when people go on these types of anti-foreign rants. Especially when they are miss-informed about a subject such as buying foreign. It's bad enough that I get Bruce Lee "Wah Tahs!!!" while I walk through the mall. Now you're going to talk about the car I'm driving too? You should get your hands on an American Economics book and study the subject of importing and exporting.

Want to know the real villain??? Outsourcing and Offshoring. And guess what? American companies are the ones doing this to reduce costs so that the top execs can fatten their wallets. Dell used to be such a good quality brand. The second they started outsourcing is the second that HP took over their top spot. Not that HP doesn't do it either lol.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants

Last edited by Leo; 12-21-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Going to hijack the thread for a second...

Nothing against you Jay, but I hate when people post bumper stickers that say shit like "Out of a job yet? Keep buying Foreign."

Especially when they drive cars like Dodge and Ford. Dodge = Mitsubishi parts in a lot of their cars and Ford uses Mazda. Funny to see that sticker on a Ford Focus when it is actually a Mazda 3.

People don't realize that imports and American products are inter-twined. Remember, imports actually stimulate our economy. The big three didn't fail because of imports. They failed because of poor judgment calls like GM nixing the EV1. Another very poor decision that was made long ago was over-saturating the market with like 50 versions of the same exact car. Wait, is that a Suburban or a Yukon... oh it has a Cadillac symbol so it's an Escalade.

Yes, foreign makers do this too, but usually only have two brands. One for the normal population and another for the luxury enabled. I really hate what happened to people with jobs here in Detroit, but it is not the fault of foreign car companies. In fact, a lot of them have manufacturing plants right here in America that employ thousands of American citizens. Governor Granholm made a mistake with Honda. She let Ohio have them. I believe the big three will come out of this a lot stronger than before. They are already starting to churn out excellent cars now. The reduction in brands was a must in my eye. There simply was no need for that. This was going to happen regardless of who buys what from where.

Sorry for hijacking and spamming this thread. As a non-Caucasian American who drives a foreign car, I feel extremely uncomfortable when people go on these types of anti-foreign rants. Especially when they are miss-informed about a subject such as buying foreign. It's bad enough that I get Bruce Lee "Wah Tahs!!!" while I walk through the mall. Now you're going to talk about the car I'm driving too? You should get your hands on an American Economics book and study the subject of importing and exporting.

Want to know the real villain??? Outsourcing and Offshoring. And guess what? American companies are the ones doing this to reduce costs so that the top execs can fatten their wallets. Dell used to be such a good quality brand. The second they started outsourcing is the second that HP took over their top spot. Not that HP doesn't do it either lol.
Well said, thanks.
hyp0xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums