Impact Gear that actually works? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CNY
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Impact Gear that actually works?

I've done some research online and here on the forums and I keep seeing the same names come up. SixSixOne, Forcefield, R.E.D., Hillbilly Dirt Gear, Azzpadz, Demon, etc.

But there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what really works. I've narrowed down 3 pieces of equipment that seem pretty legit. Azzpadz for tailbone protection, SixSixOne core protector, and Forcefield Pro L2. These pieces won't work well together obviously, but I'm interested in hearing the opinions of the people who have owned this gear.

661 core protector looks like it might be a little bulky, but will take some hard hits. I think that's why some people spring for the pressure suit.

The forcefield Pro L2 Back seems to take care of the back and tailbone, but it looks so low profile, I wonder how well it actually works?

The forcefield seems to have the most coverage, but I'm assuming it's not going to be the best at everything. It would be nice to find some all-in-one gear that protects the spine, kidneys, hips, and tail bone.
phile00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They absolutely work!

I own a pair of impact shorts by red and use them when I work on tricks.

Depending on what your trying to learn will dictate what areas need protected, but I highly recommend protection, and on your head first.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CNY
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
They absolutely work!

I own a pair of impact shorts by red and use them when I work on tricks.

Depending on what your trying to learn will dictate what areas need protected, but I highly recommend protection, and on your head first.
Oh yeah, I always wear a helmet. I don't really understand the rationale for not protecting yourself. Being crippled, vegetative, or dead is not awesome.

Oh btw, to clarify, I mean, "work as advertised". I'm sure they all work to some degree.

Last edited by phile00; 01-05-2010 at 04:50 PM.
phile00 is offline  
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CNY
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also, I wonder if this is legit:
SnowboardingTips.com - Your complete online resource for Snowboarding information.

It mentions how most of the pads have spaces in between them. Scroll down for a pic of the gear.
phile00 is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh ya sorry about that, I was replying from my iPhone and misread the title for you asking if impact gear actually works.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use the azzpadz for tailbone protection and they absolutely work. Its easy to get them on and off. Not bulky at all and comfy to wear. Ive taken major spills on my bum and not a scratch or bruise. Ive also used the RED total impact shorts and those are a piece of garbage. The crappy padding on the tailbone and everywhere else sucks. Provided no protection at all.. just gave me more bruises than I wanted to. Getting them off is a pain since you have to take everything off and it just feels very bulky compared to the azzpadz. I havent used any other gear besides a helmet. But for tailbone protection azzpadz is the way to go.
boymonkey is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CNY
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
I use the azzpadz for tailbone protection and they absolutely work. Its easy to get them on and off. Not bulky at all and comfy to wear. Ive taken major spills on my bum and not a scratch or bruise. Ive also used the RED total impact shorts and those are a piece of garbage. The crappy padding on the tailbone and everywhere else sucks. Provided no protection at all.. just gave me more bruises than I wanted to. Getting them off is a pain since you have to take everything off and it just feels very bulky compared to the azzpadz. I havent used any other gear besides a helmet. But for tailbone protection azzpadz is the way to go.
Cool, thanks for the info. I wish azzpadz made something that protected the hips too.
phile00 is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MunkySpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkshires
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use the Demon Shield Hardtail pants. Got an actual solid plate to protect the tailbone.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CNY
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
I use the Demon Shield Hardtail pants. Got an actual solid plate to protect the tailbone.
is it bulky? Has it saved your ass so far?
phile00 is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
 
snoeboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Utica, NY
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phile00 View Post
Also, I wonder if this is legit:
SnowboardingTips.com - Your complete online resource for Snowboarding information.

It mentions how most of the pads have spaces in between them. Scroll down for a pic of the gear.
looks like a nice product, no spaces in the pad layout, rather expensive compared to others, the r.e.d. shorts suck, i basically gave mine away ... i saw a nice pair like on the tips site when i was in the shop at okemo, they were $50, i should of scooped them
snoeboarder is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome