"Asian Fit" goggles from Dragon - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,063
Blog Entries: 2
Default "Asian Fit" goggles from Dragon

While searching around for goggles online recently, and reading various threads, I came across these that I think some of you might be interested in. It seems Oakley isn't the only company to make the clever but poorly named "Asian Fit" goggles, which have extra foam padding in the nose bridge area. Makes sense since Dragon was part of Oakley up until 2yrs ago. Apparently they just released their own AF versions of the Rogue and Mace last season iirc. Both offer optically correct spherical lenses, wide peripheral views, and articulated (hinged) straps to fit comfortably with helmets. Here are a couple pics for reference.

Rogue Jamie Lynn signature edition


Mace Nomis limited edition
__________________
15 NS Ripsaw . 14 NS Proto HD . 14 NS Cobra . 13 Gnu Space Case EC2 . 2013 Salomon Pow Snake
14 Now Drive . 13 Now IPO
14 Flow Hylite

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 01-05-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dharmashred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lee Vining
Posts: 414
Default

Good to know...I had some issues finding goggles to fit my face without being able to stick my finger through the bridge of the goggles ! I ultimately settled on the Von Zipper Chakras (they are awesome) they fit my face perfectly.

I agree about the name, damn... "Asian Fit" that's a little presumptuous for sure. There's gotta be a better name than that....
__________________
Every turn is a blessing.
dharmashred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
slippy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

oh wow i really like those nomis goggles
too bad i just bought anon figments for this season
thanks for the heads up. maybe next season
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,063
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Seems they make alot of crazier unique colorways for each model, but also quite a few of the same simpler colorways in both styles.






__________________
15 NS Ripsaw . 14 NS Proto HD . 14 NS Cobra . 13 Gnu Space Case EC2 . 2013 Salomon Pow Snake
14 Now Drive . 13 Now IPO
14 Flow Hylite

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 01-07-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

I love Dragon goggles. They have some of the best designs. My favorite is their Mace Series. I was unaware of their Asian Fit versions. Wish I would have known that. Their catalogs certainly didn't contain them when I was listing those goggles.

I actually see nothing wrong with the name Asian Fit. It's straight to the point. Whatever they call it, it would lead to reps telling customers that they are designed for Asians. It's no big secret that we have flatter faces with much less pronounced bridges. First time I heard about Oakley Asian Fits, I was like "Cool! Finally sunglasses and goggles that fit me correctly."

Point me to an Asian without a flat face and I'll show you a mixed Asian. This is excluding Middle Eastern and Indian of course
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,063
Blog Entries: 2
Default

There are plenty of Asians that don't have overly flat faces and have a pronounced nosebridge and are still purebred...not all Asians are Korean...lol. Likewise, there are plenty of non-Asians that have a less pronounced nosebridge too. Take the new Oakley Splice where they use verbiage like, "the internal support system reduces pressure on the nose..." and "...system for reduced nasal pressure." No company will ever come out with something for taller or wider noses and label it Jew fit or Indian fit or African fit. It speaks to something deeper which isn't what this thread is for
__________________
15 NS Ripsaw . 14 NS Proto HD . 14 NS Cobra . 13 Gnu Space Case EC2 . 2013 Salomon Pow Snake
14 Now Drive . 13 Now IPO
14 Flow Hylite
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Are any of you actually Asian? And that Korean comment of yours was far more racist than what Oakley will ever label their styles. Jewish fit, Black Fit, etc... those don't even make sense. Other races like the ones mentioned have rounded faces. Asians however are different. Scientists can roughly determine race based on the structure of the human skull. African, Caucasian, Asian, etc... The flatter facial structure is how Asian skulls are identified during archeological digs. Recently, they found Caucasian skeletal remains in Asia that were older than they expected. Apparently, this family migrated to Asia long before any other foreigner to that country. I could go on, but you get my drift.

I have yet to meet another Asian that is offended by Oakley's Asian Fit naming. My fiancee and her family absolutely love that they fit better.

By the way, I never said all Asians have "overtly" flat faces. We have flat faces period. There is no purebred Asian without a flat face. Except for Filipinos, but technically their race has been mixed with Spanish, Hispanic, and Japanese blood over the centuries. There is also a large population of Filipinos that are indistinguishable from Blacks.

Sorry to side track, but I am very passionate when it comes to discussions about racial slurs. I grew up getting called numerous names like "Chink", "Gook", "Ching Chong Wang", everything you can think of related to Asian racial slurs I was called it. All with the quintessential use of the index fingers to stretch the eyes into a slant. I still get the occasional, very random, "Wah Tah!!!!" while walking through the mall or something. Taking all of that into consideration, "Asian Fit" doesn't bother me one bit. There are also companies that use the term "European Fit".

You can call it some elaborate name if you want, but that might cause the point to get lost in translation. An Asian person sees the word "Asian Fit" and they get the exact point of it right away. To say anything different is simply ignorance and an excuse to bring up racism debates.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

And I know you love to insinuate shit without ever being able to properly debate your point. If the point was to let people know about these great goggles, then you should have let off the part about "Asian Fit" being a poor name choice. You need to to learn how to be neutral if you don't want debates to occur. Again you attack me and again that makes you look like the one that is at fault.

Sick of all these people who get so sensitive over dumb shit and automatically cry "racism". Especially when it is people who have never even been the victim of it. Get over yourself.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,063
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Are any of you actually Asian?
Yes, but that shouldn't even matter. The same people would also think that a product called Jew fit, designed to fit another certain type of nose, is poorly named.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
And that Korean comment of yours was far more racist than what Oakley will ever label their styles.
So naming one specific culture is more offensive than grouping an entire race that the culture is just a small part of? So Korean fit is "far more" offensive than Asian fit? Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Scientists can roughly determine race based on the structure of the human skull. African, Caucasian, Asian, etc... The flatter facial structure is how Asian skulls are identified during archeological digs. Recently, they found Caucasian skeletal remains in Asia that were older than they expected. Apparently, this family migrated to Asia long before any other foreigner to that country.
Now you want to talk about anthropology? You're on another level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I have yet to meet another Asian that is offended by Oakley's Asian Fit naming.
So because you and your small social circle isn't offended, that's representative of everyone else? Besides, who in this thread said anything as strong as "being offended?" You can dislike something or be somewhat unhappy without being flat out offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
My fiancee and her family absolutely love that they fit better.
Show me where anyone said the product itself was a poor decision? It's a good idea, which is why I created this thread. That would be obvious to anyone not clouded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Except for Filipinos, but technically their race has been mixed with Spanish, Hispanic, and Japanese blood over the centuries. There is also a large population of Filipinos that are indistinguishable from Blacks.
Germans also aren't Asian, neither are Nigerians. What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
There are also companies that use the term "European Fit".
Comparing it to European fit? Something that is just describing a certain cut or style (purely fashion), nothing to do with anyone's physical features or genetic makeup? You're way off the mark, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
You can call it some elaborate name if you want, but that might cause the point to get lost in translation. An Asian person sees the word "Asian Fit" and they get the exact point of it right away.
With all the marketing dollars and experience, there is no doubt they could've come up with something much better yet still clear and straightforward. My prediction is that your retort would be along the lines of, "Oh yeah, so what would be better?" It's not our job to come up with that, and it's a little late for that, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
To say anything different is simply ignorance and an excuse to bring up racism debates.
The irony here is that YOU honed in on a couple words and turned it into a debate about race. Nobody else pulled the card but you and you alone.
__________________
15 NS Ripsaw . 14 NS Proto HD . 14 NS Cobra . 13 Gnu Space Case EC2 . 2013 Salomon Pow Snake
14 Now Drive . 13 Now IPO
14 Flow Hylite

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 01-07-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,063
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Are any of you actually Asian?
Yes, but that shouldn't even matter. The same people would also think that a product called Jew fit, designed to fit another certain type of nose, is poorly named.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
And that Korean comment of yours was far more racist than what Oakley will ever label their styles.
So naming one specific culture is more offensive than grouping an entire race that the culture is just a small part of? So Korean fit is "far more" offensive than Asian fit? Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Scientists can roughly determine race based on the structure of the human skull. African, Caucasian, Asian, etc... The flatter facial structure is how Asian skulls are identified during archeological digs. Recently, they found Caucasian skeletal remains in Asia that were older than they expected. Apparently, this family migrated to Asia long before any other foreigner to that country.
Now you want to talk about anthropology? You're on another level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I have yet to meet another Asian that is offended by Oakley's Asian Fit naming.
So because you and your small social circle isn't offended, that's representative of everyone else? Besides, who in this thread said anything as strong as "being offended?" You can dislike something or be somewhat unhappy without being flat out offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
My fiancee and her family absolutely love that they fit better.
Show me where anyone said the product itself was a poor decision? It's a good idea, which is why I created this thread. That would be obvious to anyone not clouded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Except for Filipinos, but technically their race has been mixed with Spanish, Hispanic, and Japanese blood over the centuries. There is also a large population of Filipinos that are indistinguishable from Blacks.
Germans also aren't Asian, neither are Nigerians. What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
There are also companies that use the term "European Fit".
Comparing it to European fit? Something that is just describing a certain cut or style (purely fashion), nothing to do with anyone's physical features or genetic makeup? You're way off the mark, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
You can call it some elaborate name if you want, but that might cause the point to get lost in translation. An Asian person sees the word "Asian Fit" and they get the exact point of it right away.
With all the marketing dollars and experience, there is no doubt they could've come up with something much better yet still clear and straightforward. My prediction is that your retort would be along the lines of, "Oh yeah, so what would be better?" It's not our job to come up with that, and it's a little late for that, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
To say anything different is simply ignorance and an excuse to bring up racism debates.
The irony here is that YOU honed in on a couple words and turned it into a debate about race. Nobody else pulled the card but you and you alone. Let's not forget who "passionately" said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I am very passionate when it comes to discussions about racial slurs. I grew up getting called numerous names like "Chink", "Gook", "Ching Chong Wang", everything you can think of related to Asian racial slurs I was called it. All with the quintessential use of the index fingers to stretch the eyes into a slant. I still get the occasional, very random, "Wah Tah!!!!" while walking through the mall or something.
__________________
15 NS Ripsaw . 14 NS Proto HD . 14 NS Cobra . 13 Gnu Space Case EC2 . 2013 Salomon Pow Snake
14 Now Drive . 13 Now IPO
14 Flow Hylite

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 01-07-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums