do I need a helmet? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesyMalone View Post
seb1041 - I see your point but it's important to factor in conditions. You might have less of a chance for serious neck injuries if you're not doing trees/jumps etc. However, your head can still get busted good. The bunny hills and beginner slopes are going to get packed down and hardened pretty quick every day. I think it's not out of the question to get a concussion and really ruin your day as a beginner and the hill conditions aren't soft.

Catching tail edge and getting whipped backwards really blows. I had that happen when I was first learning - it was an icy day in NY and I consider myself lucky that I didn't get a concussion. That fall ruined my day, and is why I'll always recommend a helmet for a beginner.

Also, you can't count on other beginners on the hill to not bowl you over. You can't predict the future, but you can plan for eventualities.
I started snowboarding 7 years ago, but what made me stop was not the learning curve... a jackass passed me on teh bunny slope and fell right behind me. I did a 360 before i knew it and hit my knee on an ice patch... my knee was the size of a grapefruit.... anyway... I will get some good knee pads and a helm just in case... volleyball knee pads agive you a nice range of motion and dont look retarded...
snoweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Posts: 40
Default

get the helmet for sure, looks like you are going to be learning and there are a lot of idiots out there on the bunny hill that dont know how to stop or slow down. i would rather play it safe than get hurt
Tourbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbo24 View Post
get the helmet for sure, looks like you are going to be learning and there are a lot of idiots out there on the bunny hill that dont know how to stop or slow down. i would rather play it safe than get hurt
Not sure if you'll see this in time, but maybe you can use these knee pads from chainlove.

Chainlove.com: Six Six One Nitro Knee Guard - $30.00 - 57% off
JonesyMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb1041 View Post
I think the wrists and butt are going to get the more abuse at first...not an essential piece of equipment in my book when you begin...I don't think you can seriously hurt your head until you start taking jumps...but if you can afford it go for it!
Lliam Neeson's wife died while suffering a head injury on a bunny slope while learning to ski.

All it takes is an edge catch at a wrong angle to smack your head into the ground. One of the worst spills of my experience came from when I was learning how to do toe side stops. I planted my heel edge too quickly thinking I was fully stopped and it sent me flying backwards. I knocked the back of my head pretty good. Thankfully it wasn't during really shitty icey conditions. This is on the hills of Michigan. I can only imagine what would have happened if I was on a bigger mountain on a different trail.

Those types of simple accidents are a major downer knowing that these people who have suffered brain injuries or died could have been protected by a helmet.

When it comes to jumping, the helmet will only do so much depending on your speed and type of bad landing. You can still suffer major head injuries while wearing a helmet if you land a jump incorrectly. However, wearing a helmet while learning will almost entirely eliminate any serious head injury unless it is suffered on the face. Even then, the top of the helmet will take some of the impact off the face.

Of course, there is nothing you can do about neck injuries. Stiff necks suck, but they beat concussions any day of the week.

Wrist guards are extremely helpful. Just make sure you get a good pair. Preferably ones that are a little more flexible so it doesn't break your forearms.

Lastly... Buttpads... They are going to save you from a lot of tailbone soreness from learning. I wish I invested in a pair while I was learning.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesyMalone View Post
Not sure if you'll see this in time, but maybe you can use these knee pads from chainlove.

Chainlove.com: Six Six One Nitro Knee Guard - $30.00 - 57% off
just missed it dude
snoweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Lliam Neeson's wife died while suffering a head injury on a bunny slope while learning to ski.

All it takes is an edge catch at a wrong angle to smack your head into the ground. One of the worst spills of my experience came from when I was learning how to do toe side stops. I planted my heel edge too quickly thinking I was fully stopped and it sent me flying backwards. I knocked the back of my head pretty good. Thankfully it wasn't during really shitty icey conditions. This is on the hills of Michigan. I can only imagine what would have happened if I was on a bigger mountain on a different trail.

Those types of simple accidents are a major downer knowing that these people who have suffered brain injuries or died could have been protected by a helmet.

When it comes to jumping, the helmet will only do so much depending on your speed and type of bad landing. You can still suffer major head injuries while wearing a helmet if you land a jump incorrectly. However, wearing a helmet while learning will almost entirely eliminate any serious head injury unless it is suffered on the face. Even then, the top of the helmet will take some of the impact off the face.

Of course, there is nothing you can do about neck injuries. Stiff necks suck, but they beat concussions any day of the week.

Wrist guards are extremely helpful. Just make sure you get a good pair. Preferably ones that are a little more flexible so it doesn't break your forearms.

Lastly... Buttpads... They are going to save you from a lot of tailbone soreness from learning. I wish I invested in a pair while I was learning.
hey thanks dude. Do you work for snowboards.net? i saw you post some sale regarding a RIDE board with a full detail about it being DH1 not DH2 for the DH2 LE... i was wondering if i can get a hookup

ignore me it if im being ajerk and asking like everyone else... lol

I know how it is sometimes when you have a hookup. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by snoweater; 09-27-2010 at 01:33 PM.
snoweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

LoL. I do work for them, but my forum account isn't attached to sbnet. This is something I do on my own time.

And unfortunately, no hookup haha. No coupon codes are out as of now.

Besides, that DH2 LE deal is enough of a hookup as is. Board, boots, and bindings for under $500 is great. Especially considering they are Ride products that in 2008 used to be at the higher end of the gear spectrum.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
LoL. I do work for them, but my forum account isn't attached to sbnet. This is something I do on my own time.

And unfortunately, no hookup haha. No coupon codes are out as of now.

Besides, that DH2 LE deal is enough of a hookup as is. Board, boots, and bindings for under $500 is great. Especially considering they are Ride products that in 2008 used to be at the higher end of the gear spectrum.
yes for a fat ass like me, the 159W board is not enough length... although i mixed and matched the following:

164W burton bullet $197.99
RIDE RX Bindings $119.99
DC Cirro BOA Boots 189.99
-------------------------
Total: $510.00

I also picked up an Oakley ski/snowboard jacket for 97 bucks and snowboard pants (2pairs) Columbia for 52 bucks each. Then I saw how much wool socks cost that pissed me off... how the hell socks cost 25 bucks?
snoweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoweater View Post
yes for a fat ass like me, the 159W board is not enough length... although i mixed and matched the following:

164W burton bullet $197.99
RIDE RX Bindings $119.99
DC Cirro BOA Boots 189.99
-------------------------
Total: $510.00

I also picked up an Oakley ski/snowboard jacket for 97 bucks and snowboard pants (2pairs) Columbia for 52 bucks each. Then I saw how much wool socks cost that pissed me off... how the hell socks cost 25 bucks?
Nice.

SmartWool Socks

In defense of Wool socks, they will always cost around that much unless on sale. Clothing made from animals > cotton or man-made price-wise and usually quality-wise as well.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Nice.

SmartWool Socks

In defense of Wool socks, they will always cost around that much unless on sale. Clothing made from animals > cotton or man-made price-wise and usually quality-wise as well.
yea, i had to pick some up so i got some from STP... with whirlwind gloves and bugaboo for my wife and came out to 108 dollars.

Winter sports are expensive.
snoweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums