Protective Clothing - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Junior Member
 
voy78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any one used demon shield vest?
DS 5100 Shield Vest

I hurt my ribs last two seasons and thinking about doing something about it. Two years ago I caught an edge and slammed backward on to a sticking root. Last winter I rode too fast over a bump flu into air head first and finally landed on my forearm next to my ribs. Both of those didn't stop hurting for couple months.

I'm in between that shield vest and Flex Force PRO, but I'm not sure which one has better rib protection and if I really need arm guards of the flex force. Also I think I like the vertical rib protectors on shield vest better than the horizontal ones on flex force. Both would work fine for puncture type protection, but I'd think that vertical pads would spread the hit force on more ribs, right?
voy78 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voy78 View Post
Any one used demon shield vest?
DS 5100 Shield Vest

I hurt my ribs last two seasons and thinking about doing something about it. Two years ago I caught an edge and slammed backward on to a sticking root. Last winter I rode too fast over a bump flu into air head first and finally landed on my forearm next to my ribs. Both of those didn't stop hurting for couple months.

I'm in between that shield vest and Flex Force PRO, but I'm not sure which one has better rib protection and if I really need arm guards of the flex force. Also I think I like the vertical rib protectors on shield vest better than the horizontal ones on flex force. Both would work fine for puncture type protection, but I'd think that vertical pads would spread the hit force on more ribs, right?
I tried the Shield Vest and I found the interlocking spine plates to be kind of restrictive. I exchanged it for the Flex Force Pro and liked that a lot better. The flex force pro has some rib protection with plastic strips and a little bit of padding (it's not a huge amount though). If you want the most padding you should go with Skeletools as the had big thick foam rubber pads.

Coincidentally, if you are size men's medium I'm selling both my old Flex Force Pro and Skeletools (although I replaced the thick lower front rib pads with lighter more flexible d3o pads - the upper ribs and the back pads are still the super thick ones).

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ody-armor.html
lonerider is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Junior Member
 
voy78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm quite skinny. Measured 36 /37 in chest 28/30 in waist. I was reading reviews on dogfunk and someone was saying they run on the big side. Can you confirm? What size are you and how your medium flex force fits you? Are you upgrading to new year model?
voy78 is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Basti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also check out POC gear. It's kinda pricy but I've never had any protection gear that was more comfortable while still working great. I'm wearing their tailbone protector (I think they're called VIP Ski shorts or something similar) and I forget I'm wearing protec gear the moment I put it on. Maybe you can find a good used deal somewhere.
Basti is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voy78 View Post
I'm quite skinny. Measured 36 /37 in chest 28/30 in waist. I was reading reviews on dogfunk and someone was saying they run on the big side. Can you confirm? What size are you and how your medium flex force fits you? Are you upgrading to new year model?
I measure 35-36 chest, 29/30 waist. I agree that the Medium Flex force pro runs large it fits me baggy like a loose jacket, but I like that as it doesn't restrict my movement when I twist my body for spins. It actually comes with compression straps to snug it up for thinner bodies, but I don't use them (look at the photos I posted to see).

Yes, I upgraded to the d3o Flex force X, which I also like a lot.
lonerider is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Junior Member
 
voy78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looked at the poc website, but they don't offer anything for the rib area.

Found some similar topics on the mtbr forum:

Rib Protection? - Mtbr Forums
Under-the-jersey body armor options? - Mtbr Forums

Someone recommended this:
https://www.troyleedesigns.com/produ...t=100&id=18401
Looks bit bulky tho...

also looking at this as a option to Flex Force Pro:
Demon Dirt Leviathan Half Suit - ride more bikes
Looks like the spine guard is pretty wide, and it rib guard is right next to it... maybe...

Would be nice if those could be bought locally...
voy78 is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voy78 View Post
also looking at this as a option to Flex Force Pro:
Demon Dirt Leviathan Half Suit - ride more bikes
Looks like the spine guard is pretty wide, and it rib guard is right next to it... maybe...

Would be nice if those could be bought locally...
Half suit looks interesting as well. They are selling it here free shipping

Demon Leviathan Half Suit Protective Vest

Let me know if you want my Flex Force Pro or Skeletools for cheaper
lonerider is offline  
Reply

Tags
clothing, pads, pants, protection, shorts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome