Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Outerwear and Accessories (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/outerwear-accessories/)
-   -   Goggle w/ Best Visibility (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/outerwear-accessories/50569-goggle-w-best-visibility.html)

HiImBrian 10-24-2012 11:11 PM

Goggle w/ Best Visibility
 
I've been thinking about picking up some new goggles and I'm not really sure what I should be looking at. I currently wear a set of spy Spy Soldiers and I love the look of them and really don't have too many complaints about them. The lens is starting to get a bit scuffed up and I'd rather pick up a whole new goggle than a new lens. I'm curious as to what goggles are out there with the best visibility. Let's hear whatcha got!

Sassicaia 10-25-2012 12:15 AM

I always looking out for the best in each category and put quality and performance above all else when deciding. IMO Oakley makes the best lenses on the market. If you are truly out for the best visibility and board often then you can not achieve it with a single lens. Id recommend getting one for overcast, one for sunny days and one for night (if you ride at night).

Contrary to what some people might say there is no one lens that does it all. Sure there are some that are pretty good for everything, but to answer your question purely based on best then you need more then one lens. With that in mind I would buy a goggle that allows quick and easy lens changing.

What ever you do don't buy polarized.

mrjimyjohn 10-25-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassicaia (Post 530896)
I always looking out for the best in each category and put quality and performance above all else when deciding. IMO Oakley makes the best lenses on the market. If you are truly out for the best visibility and board often then you can not achieve it with a single lens. Id recommend getting one for overcast, one for sunny days and one for night (if you ride at night).

Contrary to what some people might say there is no one lens that does it all. Sure there are some that are pretty good for everything, but to answer your question purely based on best then you need more then one lens. With that in mind I would buy a goggle that allows quick and easy lens changing.

What ever you do don't buy polarized.

What's wrong with polarized lenses? I'm just curious..

NWBoarder 10-25-2012 12:27 AM

What kind of visibility are you asking about? Bright light, low light, no light? Peripheral vision? There are many options and you should probably be a little more specific if you want quality answers. Also, search function is your friend.

Sassicaia 10-25-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjimyjohn (Post 530898)
What's wrong with polarized lenses? I'm just curious..

Polarized lenses essentially eliminate glare/reflection. If you are on the water boating thats great because you will greatly reduce the reflection of sun off the water. If you are on the mountain boarding its dangerous because you will not be able to see ice patches. You need light to reflect off ice in order for you to clearly be able to see it and a polarized lens essentially kills that ability.

There are probably 10 applications polarized lenses are much better then non polarized, but skiing/boarding are not one of them.

HiImBrian 10-25-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWBoarder (Post 530900)
What kind of visibility are you asking about? Bright light, low light, no light? Peripheral vision? There are many options and you should probably be a little more specific if you want quality answers. Also, search function is your friend.

Sorry about that. I'm looking for a goggle that offers the best peripheral vision. I used the search function and found a few threads where people discussed a specific goggle, but nothing solely based on peripherals.

Tech420 10-25-2012 08:58 AM

I've gone through a few pairs of goggles and settled with Smith I/O's. The vision is great and you can swap the lens (comes with 2) for changing conditions in a matter of 30 seconds.

HiImBrian 10-25-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech420 (Post 530987)
I've gone through a few pairs of goggles and settled with Smith I/O's. The vision is great and you can swap the lens (comes with 2) for changing conditions in a matter of 30 seconds.

I feel like I keep hearing "Smith I/O" everywhere I go. Is this just the new fad, or are they really worth it?

Also, I've always found ebay to be the cheapest place to by goggles. Anybody have any comments on this?

Basti 10-25-2012 09:31 AM

Dragon APX. I've always used oversized goggles for peripheral vision and since the APX has no outer frame they offer the best vision of the ones I've tried (VZ Fishbowl, Spy and Electric EG2). They're kind of pricy though and if you wear a helmet you should check if the set is compatible.

KnoxBoarderX 10-25-2012 01:11 PM

I have anon hawkeyes and love them. I tried on the Smith I/O's but felt like they too small. The Dragon APX's look awesome! They might be my next pair. To answer the question though, try on a few different ones. Try all the oversized ones you can. Some might actually be too big.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2