Goggle Tint Help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Goggle Tint Help

I need a good lens for the day for my oakley crowbars. It doesn't get too bad in minnesota here but I want a lens for bright sun to kinda cloudy. And I need a lens for the night. I'm looking at the Black Iridium/ HI Yellow. Do you think that lens will work?
Louis2018 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,742
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 6
HI Yellow will work awesome on the overcast days and is pretty good at night too; that's what I got for my Spy Platoons for Michigan weather & night riding. I've got a red/fire iridium for those elusive bluebird days. The HIY are used much more frequently, of course Basically any mirrored lens is good for bright sun but once it gets overcast out they're pretty much useless.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
david_z is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
HI Yellow will work awesome on the overcast days and is pretty good at night too; that's what I got for my Spy Platoons for Michigan weather & night riding. I've got a red/fire iridium for those elusive bluebird days. The HIY are used much more frequently, of course Basically any mirrored lens is good for bright sun but once it gets overcast out they're pretty much useless.
So the HI Yellow is good for overcast/cloudy days and night? And the Fire Iridium is good for sunny days? How about Black Iridium?
Louis2018 is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,742
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 6
Yeah the HI Yellow is good for overcast and at night. It's not as good as a clear lens at night but unless you really want 5 different lenses, it's pretty damn versatile and I think better than the standard rose/persimmon tint that is supposed to be the jack of all trades tint.

I've never used black iridium before but I'd guess it's darker than the fire iridum, which are just fine on bluebird days. Until the clouds roll in, then I have to run down to the jeep and swap out for a different lens
david_z is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I've never used black iridium before but I'd guess it's darker than the fire iridum, which are just fine on bluebird days. Until the clouds roll in, then I have to run down to the jeep and swap out for a different lens
I really only want to have 2 lenses. What if I used the VR28 for the day because I am worried that if there are some clouds then the Fire Iridiums are going to be too dark. And then HI Yellow for night sounds pretty good. Is the HI Persimmon to dark for night? The place were I board, the hills are lighted up a lot so is HI Persimmon okay?
Louis2018 is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
StrattonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wall, NJ and Stratton, VT
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis2018 View Post
I need a good lens for the day for my oakley crowbars. It doesn't get too bad in minnesota here but I want a lens for bright sun to kinda cloudy. And I need a lens for the night. I'm looking at the Black Iridium/ HI Yellow. Do you think that lens will work?
i just recently bought another pair of goggles for foggy days. I bought them with the HI yellow and it is the best lens out there. It is perfect for those early mornings runs and also night riding
StrattonRider is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrattonRider View Post
i just recently bought another pair of goggles for foggy days. I bought them with the HI yellow and it is the best lens out there. It is perfect for those early mornings runs and also night riding
What about the VR28 or Blue Iridium for the day?
Louis2018 is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
StrattonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wall, NJ and Stratton, VT
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis2018 View Post
What about the VR28 or Blue Iridium for the day?
i dont have any experience with those lenses but i find that my two goggles with fire iridium and Hi Yellow are a perfect combo of lenses
StrattonRider is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,742
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 6
If clouds roll in then yeah iridium or mirrored lenses will usually be too dark.

If your hills are lit up really well then persimmon is versatile enough to use at night usually. There's a reason why pretty much every goggle has that tint as an option (and, incidentally the same reason why most low- to mid-range goggles come with a rose/persimmon lens) and that's because it really is a very versatile tint; not too dark for overcast/low light conditions, but not too light for bluebird days at 14,000 feet.
david_z is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
If clouds roll in then yeah iridium or mirrored lenses will usually be too dark.

If your hills are lit up really well then persimmon is versatile enough to use at night usually. There's a reason why pretty much every goggle has that tint as an option (and, incidentally the same reason why most low- to mid-range goggles come with a rose/persimmon lens) and that's because it really is a very versatile tint; not too dark for overcast/low light conditions, but not too light for bluebird days at 14,000 feet.
Thanks for that info. Heres what I am thinking:

HI Yellow with VR28 or Blue Iridium.

I could use VR28 or Blue Iridium during the day right?
Louis2018 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome