Buying a New Jacket, but I always wear more than others... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 141
Default Buying a New Jacket, but I always wear more than others...

So I picked up snowboarding this season and fell in love with it. I wore a Zeroxposur 2-layer jacket I got from Kohl's until now. It's not that waterproof and it's coming apart at the seams already (no kidding). So naturally, I want to get a new, preferably warm and more durable, jacket.

Many, many people here swear by shells, but I seem to already wear more layers than others and I envision myself shivering on the way down in a shell.

On my trips, I wear:
Under Armour Long sleeve,
Thin sweater/fleece
Hoodie/Sweatshirt
2-layer Jacket (I can separate the "insulator" from the "shell" via zippers)
I'll feel warm only if I dress like this and it's usually only 20 degrees when I go.

So what do I do when it gets colder? I don't know how to stay any warmer, and probably won't benefit from a shell. I'm leaning toward an insulated jacket.

If you guys have any recommendations/tips/layering guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
TheNorminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19
Default

There are infinite amounts of 3-1 jackets. Examples- 686 Smarty Command, Nike Bellevue, 686 Smarty Satellite(seems like the most warm jacket short of a down jacket that I have seen), etc.
TacomaDoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
TheTurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorminator View Post
So I picked up snowboarding this season and fell in love with it. I wore a Zeroxposur 2-layer jacket I got from Kohl's until now. It's not that waterproof and it's coming apart at the seams already (no kidding). So naturally, I want to get a new, preferably warm and more durable, jacket.

Many, many people here swear by shells, but I seem to already wear more layers than others and I envision myself shivering on the way down in a shell.

On my trips, I wear:
Under Armour Long sleeve,
Thin sweater/fleece
Hoodie/Sweatshirt
2-layer Jacket (I can separate the "insulator" from the "shell" via zippers)
I'll feel warm only if I dress like this and it's usually only 20 degrees when I go.

So what do I do when it gets colder? I don't know how to stay any warmer, and probably won't benefit from a shell. I'm leaning toward an insulated jacket.

If you guys have any recommendations/tips/layering guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
wow man thats alot of layers i mean i get cold pretty easily and we are from same area therefore same weather but if i dress like that i wont be able to move at all
i used to get cold even with 2-3 layers inside my jacket but then i figured out my problem (cheap products), quality stuff made the difference for me
i now wear 1 base layer , thin fleece and my shell jacket
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTurk View Post
wow man thats alot of layers i mean i get cold pretty easily and we are from same area therefore same weather but if i dress like that i wont be able to move at all
i used to get cold even with 2-3 layers inside my jacket but then i figured out my problem (cheap products), quality stuff made the difference for me
i now wear 1 base layer , thin fleece and my shell jacket
So what kind of baselayer and/or fleece do you wear? I dunno if Under Armour is cheap, it costs $50 each and my hoodie was around 25. If it helps I'm 14, 5'8 and 135 give or take so I'm definitely not the biggest guy you'll meet. Would I feel colder naturally because of my age and build or is it all determined by genes? 'Cause my parents both came from a place where it's 70 in the winter
TheNorminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
TheTurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorminator View Post
So what kind of baselayer and/or fleece do you wear? I dunno if Under Armour is cheap, it costs $50 each and my hoodie was around 25. If it helps I'm 14, 5'8 and 135 give or take so I'm definitely not the biggest guy you'll meet. Would I feel colder naturally because of my age and build or is it all determined by genes? 'Cause my parents both came from a place where it's 70 in the winter
i dont know if under armor cheap or not (never had one) but basicly all brands have their low priced lines but it might very well be your genes playing role (im from Turkiye also lot warmer then where i am now)

my base layer; (columbia ?)

fleece; (burton groove)

jacket;(quicksilver last mission 8k)

Last edited by TheTurk; 02-03-2013 at 08:33 PM.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,855
Default

Here's 2 items that will improve your layering alot and really make you warm:

1. get a merino wool sweater, about midweight to wear over your base.

2. get a nano-puff. This is a jacket that uses most of the qualities of a puffy coat but keeps it slim so you can wear it under a shell for uber toastiness.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
2. get a nano-puff. This is a jacket that uses most of the qualities of a puffy coat but keeps it slim so you can wear it under a shell for uber toastiness.
Eddie Bauer First Ascent makes a couple jackets with a slim puffy as a part of the of the jacket. It's not removable though.
TacomaDoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 74
Default

wow something is not right there...

i wear short sleeve tight under armor,with one long sleeve nike poliester kinda shirt and a normal t shirt with a shell jacket and that is on the days when its -15 Celsius

all my friends are like you not cold man?

layering is a good thing but to many and you get sweating and you get colder then you should as a result
vukovi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
MJP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 125
Default

Dude, go with a shell and layers. I too freeze my ass off on the mtn, but was wearing under armour, (sometimes a light weight under my cold gear), then a longsleeve tshirt, hoodie, then a shell, including two pairs of under armour cold gear leggings. After reading some posts on here, I ditched the UA and got a good set of midweight smartwool top and bottoms, then added a mid layer with a shell. SOOOOO much better, lighter, warmer, and gives you more movement. The UA was trapping sweat and making me freeze my ass off in my clothes. Go with a mid weight wool layer and a shell. You'll be suprised how warm you are!
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
readimag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 741
Default

Plus a good shell like a 3L goretex jacket will block all the wind and you wont get as cold. I second a good synthetic insulated jacket for really cold days like the nano puff, atom lt or compressor.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums