Base layer advice needed - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
pdxrealtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 761
Default Base layer advice needed

So I've got top of the line shell, mid, core layers. Base layer is top o line too, but its like an under armor type, skin tight. No matter what I sweat...... No adjusting of layers is going to stop it.

When I stop for lunch I freeze, even inside, because my base layer is drenched and tight against my skin. It takes at least 3 runs to hopefully get warmed back up, if I'm lucky. Sometimes I never get warm again.

It's not the wind. I get the same cold feeling when I wear the under armor or Nike dri fit workout shirts on my indoor treadmill at 65-70 *. Once I get off the treadmill I gotta get that wet shirt off because I start to get cold.

Now that I think about it maybe its the material not the tightness. It's all meant to wick but it can only do so much.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and benefitted from going to a Patagonia or merino wool type base layer?

Its literally ruining the second half of my day. Worst case I go to REI and can return , but wanted to get some OTHERSs advice/experience etc.....
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,216
Default

Sounds like a shitty time! I use a lululemon long sleeve shirt. Not their top of the line, but not cheap either. I believe it's a merino wool based shirt. Love it, except I stink at the end of the day.

Takes me one run to get warm after lunch, and I never freeze.

On the other hand the upper armor might have something to do with that. I'm warm all the time in it, even when sweating I don't get cold.

edit: I think this is the newer version of the shirt I bought http://shop.lululemon.com/products/c...catId=men-tops

Last edited by poutanen; 03-22-2013 at 05:04 PM.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
So I've got top of the line shell, mid, core layers. Base layer is top o line too, but its like an under armor type, skin tight. No matter what I sweat...... No adjusting of layers is going to stop it.

When I stop for lunch I freeze, even inside, because my base layer is drenched and tight against my skin. It takes at least 3 runs to hopefully get warmed back up, if I'm lucky. Sometimes I never get warm again.

It's not the wind. I get the same cold feeling when I wear the under armor or Nike dri fit workout shirts on my indoor treadmill at 65-70 *. Once I get off the treadmill I gotta get that wet shirt off because I start to get cold.

Now that I think about it maybe its the material not the tightness. It's all meant to wick but it can only do so much.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and benefitted from going to a Patagonia or merino wool type base layer?

Its literally ruining the second half of my day. Worst case I go to REI and can return , but wanted to get some OTHERSs advice/experience etc.....
It sounds like you're just overdressed... I use Patagonia Capilene 3 base layer, and perspires perfectly. base layer ( top and bottom) pile sweater (ight) NanoPuff when it's really cold,or directly Gore Tex shell.
__________________
2013/14 -10- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
pdxrealtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
It sounds like you're just overdressed... I use Patagonia Capilene 3 base layer, and perspires perfectly. base layer ( top and bottom) pile sweater (ight) NanoPuff when it's really cold,or directly Gore Tex shell.
No, I just sweat. If I dress lighter I'm cold.

Base layer is thin 100% polyester spandex type under armor type. Mid is a north face polartec, breathes and wicks great, shell is a Mountian Hardware Alakazam, hard soft shell mix.

If its cold ill throw on a light weight down vest , mountain hardware, and if its a bit warmer ill leave off the fleece. Or in the middle like today I left the vest off and just wore base, fleece, shell.

Is Patagonia 3 light or heavy?
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
pdxrealtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Sounds like a shitty time! I use a lululemon long sleeve shirt. Not their top of the line, but not cheap either. I believe it's a merino wool based shirt. Love it, except I stink at the end of the day.

Takes me one run to get warm after lunch, and I never freeze.

On the other hand the upper armor might have something to do with that. I'm warm all the time in it, even when sweating I don't get cold.

edit: I think this is the newer version of the shirt I bought focus crew | men's tops | lululemon athletica
Damn those are spendy. I think I'm going to go down to rei where I'm at and try a more wool based type shirt. Something that even if dipped in the sink would dry out quickly, like the polartec fleeces I have. I pull out those fleeces from the washer and they're almost dry before hitting the dryer.
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
NWBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 1,946
Blog Entries: 10
Default

Airblaster Ninja Suit. Comes in a variety of materials, or two different ones at least. I LOVE mine, and I will never own anything else for a base layer. Seriously, it's awesome.
__________________
Oh yeah!? Well, my mom says I'm cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,124
Default

i can't ride in tight base layers. i ride with a nike dri fit type t shirt and a light or heavy smartwool long sleeve t. the only other piece i use besides my shell is a patagonia r1 fleece - probably the most versatile piece of layer equipment patagonia makes besides maybe a down sweater. but you don't want a down sweater - you need wicking. smartwool.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
pdxrealtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder View Post
Airblaster Ninja Suit. Comes in a variety of materials, or two different ones at least. I LOVE mine, and I will never own anything else for a base layer. Seriously, it's awesome.
Which material did you get? How. Tight is the suit?
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
pdxrealtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
i can't ride in tight base layers. i ride with a nike dri fit type t shirt and a light or heavy smartwool long sleeve t. the only other piece i use besides my shell is a patagonia r1 fleece - probably the most versatile piece of layer equipment patagonia makes besides maybe a down sweater. but you don't want a down sweater - you need wicking. smartwool.
Ya that dri fit is the shit. In my gym it's the least of all my other workout shirts to get so wet you can ring sweat out of it. And the least cold I get after a hard workout when I've sweat my ass off.

I took your suggestion and got the mountain hardware vest for core warmth, its helped tones combined with a fleece. Or ditch the fleece and just base and vest plus shell. Thx for the tip.

I'm only looking to change base layer at this time. I think my TNF fleeces are great at wicking.

Would want something long sleeve. Think I know what direction I need to go be it smart wool, merino , dri fit etc..... Anything but spandex.

Ninja suit looks interesting........ Merino
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Default

I sweat whenever I wear tight top layers, whether it's boarding or not. The key for me at least is to not wear such a tight shirt! My base layers fit just a hair tighter than a normal T shirt and I couldn't be happier with how they work. Buy the next size up and maybe that will work for you. What sort of temps are you dealing with?
xero16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums