Do You Have Issues Transporting or Moving Rails - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4
Default Do You Have Issues Transporting or Moving Rails

I was thinking of creating a new rail that would be easier to transport. Do you think this is an issue that actually needs to be solved or am I wasting my time?

Any other issues with rails you guys notice?

Thanks!
hi452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
slyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Milwaukee Suburbs
Posts: 2,533
Default

I only see this as an issue if u build a rail so big that you don't have the means to transport it
__________________
Thanks
-Slyder
slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 545
Default

perhaps make a rail that retracts into itself (like an old car antenna)...you could only slide one way, but it may help.

A rail within a rail within a rail....RAILCEPTION!
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 359
Default

I'm no engineer but aren't rails usually pretty heavy for a reason? And when you say "easily transportable" do you mean by what - a pickup?

I figure a decent rail (at least for me, that I would want to session over and over again and actually progress on) is what - minimum 8 feet? I've had friends build rails that were shorter and they were fun for a short time but there wasn't enough "rail" to really lock in a press or front lip.
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
perhaps make a rail that retracts into itself (like an old car antenna)...you could only slide one way, but it may help.

A rail within a rail within a rail....RAILCEPTION!
Brilliant Idea! Ill look into this. But you do agree this is a problem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
I only see this as an issue if u build a rail so big that you don't have the means to transport it
Well you see some of us have cars so rails aint very easy to transport. I know with a pickup truck it might be easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstealer View Post
I'm no engineer but aren't rails usually pretty heavy for a reason? And when you say "easily transportable" do you mean by what - a pickup?

I figure a decent rail (at least for me, that I would want to session over and over again and actually progress on) is what - minimum 8 feet? I've had friends build rails that were shorter and they were fun for a short time but there wasn't enough "rail" to really lock in a press or front lip.
Well i'm no engineer either. This is an engineering project for school. I was thinking just by hand. They are heavy yes, but to get the 8 feet you talk about they get awkward to handle just due to size right?
hi452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi452 View Post
Brilliant Idea! Ill look into this. But you do agree this is a problem right?



Well you see some of us have cars so rails aint very easy to transport. I know with a pickup truck it might be easier.



Well i'm no engineer either. This is an engineering project for school. I was thinking just by hand. They are heavy yes, but to get the 8 feet you talk about they get awkward to handle just due to size right?
I would think so - again, don't have much experience building them. Not trying to keep you a hard time either ! I would maybe re-phrase your thread to rail building - I think there's some folks on here who have done it.

I sometimes help out my local park crew moves rails and they're goddawfully awkward most of the time. Minimum two people needed to move around a mid-sized rail, and that's not even to pick it up, its sliding it across the snow AND downhill usually.

Does it have to be a metal rail? Or could you use wood to create a frame and then top it with laminate (like the skinny planet boxes you see at a lot of parks nowadays)? The thing is it has to stand up to repeated abuse from human weight, so I would imagine creating a solid foundation to hold it in place is key. And that's done through ballast, be it through a heavy base material or packing the base deep in snow...
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 9,317
Default

Sounds like you're trying to do what Jibs for Cribs has done for years.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstealer View Post
I would think so - again, don't have much experience building them. Not trying to keep you a hard time either ! I would maybe re-phrase your thread to rail building - I think there's some folks on here who have done it.

I sometimes help out my local park crew moves rails and they're goddawfully awkward most of the time. Minimum two people needed to move around a mid-sized rail, and that's not even to pick it up, its sliding it across the snow AND downhill usually.

Does it have to be a metal rail? Or could you use wood to create a frame and then top it with laminate (like the skinny planet boxes you see at a lot of parks nowadays)? The thing is it has to stand up to repeated abuse from human weight, so I would imagine creating a solid foundation to hold it in place is key. And that's done through ballast, be it through a heavy base material or packing the base deep in snow...
I also have no experience building them. I want to know what to build at this point, then look how to build them. You have given me many paths to venture down. I shall look into them. Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Sounds like you're trying to do what Jibs for Cribs has done for years.
To a point, yes. But you see in every design on the planet, there is room for improvement. I am going with the same principle that they should be available to everyday people, and be able to be used by them. I mean a commercial style rail from what I hear is a pain to handle, not making it very user friendly. Would I be correct saying that?
hi452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 384
Default

Did you ask this question on yahoo answers? I saw a question almost exactly like this like a day or two ago as I was browsing but since there were no details I just skipped it.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 9,317
Default

Have fun getting around their patents to be on a level to compete with what they have.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums