Hestra Gloves: Czone vs. Gore-tex - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,201
Default Hestra Gloves: Czone vs. Gore-tex

So I'm looking to get a nice pair of gloves this year. My hands can get pretty sweaty, so I want a waterproof breathable insert to keep them dry.

I'm torn between the Hestra Seth Morrison gloves with the Czone waterproof liner and the XCR Short glove with a goretex xcr liner. Both gloves use goat leather, which is more durable that cow hide, but the waterproof liners are different.

Does anyone have experience with the two? Impressions? I know Gore-tex XCR is quite breathable, but the XCR gloves are white and I like the colors of the seth morrison more. I'm just not sure how breathable the Czone liners are.

I know this is quite specific, but if anyone has any experience with these gloves, please share the knowledge!
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
TLN
Senior Member
 
TLN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kazachstan
Posts: 332
Default

I've used a Gore tex short glove for 3 years. It got some wear now, but I cad ride all this season easily. But I also have a top-line gore tex army leather glove which is superb. I got it this year. For a true freeride days in bottomlesss pow. I also have hestra waffered glove linder for that cold days (below -20C)
Noone cares about colors, once you ride hard.
TLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Board Gadget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 152
Default

My 14 year old bought a pair of Seth Morrison Pro 3-Finger gloves last season. A link and photo are below to the gloves he bought. These gloves are beautiful. I don't think I have ever seen a higher quality glove for any use in my life. The quality is insane. I have the same size hand as him and I wore them for a few runs. They are extremely comfortable and warm. My hands don't sweat but his do a lot. He has had issues in the past with sweaty hands turning cold. It appears that the liner of this glove wicks sweat away pretty well.

Seth Morrison Pro 3-finger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hestra.JPG (64.9 KB, 105 views)
__________________
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. -Romans 5:8-
Board Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
rb23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7
Default

I use the Hestra Heli 3-Finger glove, and they are the best glove I have ever had. They keep my hands dry and warm even when I am sweating. They are awesome on the really cold days. They have the Removable Bemberg/Polyester lining with Quallofill/Fiberfill insulation.

I have not been disappointed by my gloves at all.
rb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLN View Post
I've used a Gore tex short glove for 3 years. It got some wear now, but I cad ride all this season easily. But I also have a top-line gore tex army leather glove which is superb. I got it this year. For a true freeride days in bottomlesss pow. I also have hestra waffered glove linder for that cold days (below -20C)
Noone cares about colors, once you ride hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb23 View Post
I use the Hestra Heli 3-Finger glove, and they are the best glove I have ever had. They keep my hands dry and warm even when I am sweating. They are awesome on the really cold days. They have the Removable Bemberg/Polyester lining with Quallofill/Fiberfill insulation.

I have not been disappointed by my gloves at all.

Good to hear you like them. I am familiar with Hestra, but my main question is weather or not the Czone waterproof liner in the Seth Morrison glove is as breathable as the Gore-tex XCR insert in the XCR model. I like the under gloves that fit under your jacket sleeves along with a waterproof lining, so these two models are the best fit for me. My sweaty hands cause issues sometimes, so breathability is a must, and I'm just not sure if the Czone liner can handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Board Gadget View Post
My 14 year old bought a pair of Seth Morrison Pro 3-Finger gloves last season. A link and photo are below to the gloves he bought. These gloves are beautiful. I don't think I have ever seen a higher quality glove for any use in my life. The quality is insane. I have the same size hand as him and I wore them for a few runs. They are extremely comfortable and warm. My hands don't sweat but his do a lot. He has had issues in the past with sweaty hands turning cold. It appears that the liner of this glove wicks sweat away pretty well.
Thanks for the review. I'm glad to hear the Czone insert can handle a sweaty hand. Hestra quality is really unmatched (for almost $200 I would hope so) and I've heard they are really durable. If I can get more than 3 seasons out of them the cost will be worth it and I will be a happy customer. I've already blown a bunch of seams on my Dakine gloves after 2 seasons. The Morrison glvoes also look like they are a bit longer (reach further up the arm) than the XCRs, which I prefer.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Sassicaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 588
Default

Word of warning: While I like my XCR Hestra I was very disappointed to read on the label they were "made in china". This was especially annoying after reading the hype on their site that many of their gloves are "handmade by some of the most experienced glove makers in Europe."

I emailed them saying I was shocked to see this after buying a pair of one of the most expensive gloves they make. I got some typical bullshit response along the lines of "we own our own factories in china, are proud of it, and the gloves are made to their top standard".

I replied telling them that is total shit and asked if he would feel comfortable buying and paying top dollar for a Phillip Patek Watch, Ferrari, or Tom Ford suite if any of them were all of a sudden made in China.

Does it mean the gloves are shit? No, but it means they are gauging you on margin, and you arnt getting exactly what they claim to be.

On a side note im going into my 3rd season with them I have had to re-stitch the finger tips 4 times. Not something I would expect from a premium glove. Certainly not consistent with the bullshit of "we own our own factories and ensure the products are made to our standard".

Just keep it in mind you are paying $200+ for a pair of gloves made in China from a company that touts themselves as a home grown company with etc etc.

IMO they completely missreprent the Brand. Read the "about us" cut and pasted from their site and ask yourself if this sounds like they are proud to manufacture their gloves in China.



"The family business Martin Magnusson & Co. was founded in 1936 and is now run by the third generation of Magnussons. Both design and development is done at the headquarters in the town of Hestra.

Our gloves are manufactured in our own factory and we personally buy all leather, cloth, wool and other materials. This gives us complete control of the entire production chain and ensures high quality at every stage. Several of our models are handmade by some of the most experienced glove makers in Europe.

In 2012, we produced over 2 million pairs of gloves. The company has about 35 employees in Sweden. We also have a subsidiaries in the United States and Germany as well as agents, distributors and retailers in over 30 countries.

In addition to Scandinavia, the United States, Alp- countries and Japan are our largest markets. The owners and managers are brothers Claes and Svante Magnusson. They have two sons the fourth generation of Magnussons who also work at Hestra. "
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 5,032
Default nothing from china should cost more than $199!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Word of warning: While I like my XCR Hestra I was very disappointed to read on the label they were "made in china". This was especially annoying after reading the hype on their site that many of their gloves are "handmade by some of the most experienced glove makers in Europe."

I emailed them saying I was shocked to see this after buying a pair of one of the most expensive gloves they make. I got some typical bullshit response along the lines of "we own our own factories in china, are proud of it, and the gloves are made to their top standard".

I replied telling them that is total shit and asked if he would feel comfortable buying and paying top dollar for a Phillip Patek Watch, Ferrari, or Tom Ford suite if any of them were all of a sudden made in China.

Does it mean the gloves are shit? No, but it means they are gauging you on margin, and you arnt getting exactly what they claim to be.

On a side note im going into my 3rd season with them I have had to re-stitch the finger tips 4 times. Not something I would expect from a premium glove. Certainly not consistent with the bullshit of "we own our own factories and ensure the products are made to our standard".

Just keep it in mind you are paying $200+ for a pair of gloves made in China from a company that touts themselves as a home grown company with etc etc.

IMO they completely missreprent the Brand. Read the "about us" cut and pasted from their site and ask yourself if this sounds like they are proud to manufacture their gloves in China.



"The family business Martin Magnusson & Co. was founded in 1936 and is now run by the third generation of Magnussons. Both design and development is done at the headquarters in the town of Hestra.

Our gloves are manufactured in our own factory and we personally buy all leather, cloth, wool and other materials. This gives us complete control of the entire production chain and ensures high quality at every stage. Several of our models are handmade by some of the most experienced glove makers in Europe.

In 2012, we produced over 2 million pairs of gloves. The company has about 35 employees in Sweden. We also have a subsidiaries in the United States and Germany as well as agents, distributors and retailers in over 30 countries.

In addition to Scandinavia, the United States, Alp- countries and Japan are our largest markets. The owners and managers are brothers Claes and Svante Magnusson. They have two sons – the fourth generation of Magnussons – who also work at Hestra. "
Awesome rant. How dare they send you chinese gloves!

Not even hating, your honesty is giving me a real chuckle. Your, indignation, so to speak. - ha!

Fucking China! They should stick to fortune cookies!

Demand Czech Gyspy craftsmanship!
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash

Last edited by snowklinger; 10-18-2013 at 02:04 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 248
Default

Damn yous China... they took our jobs!!!



haha I did it thanks SnowKlinger you learned me good...

Last edited by MrKrinkle; 10-18-2013 at 02:04 AM.
MrKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 5,032
Default



you put the mess "768h3Tz4Qik" after the "v="

"...ube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik"

FROM the youtube videos address

TO between the youtube brackets.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,846
Default

That was an awesome China rant!

Dude better get used to snowboarding naked. Just about every piece of clothes you wear and outerwear come form there. I guess you can make your own.

Hestra is one of my preferred brands. I've used their Alpine glove line for several seasons. Got a pair of their insulated leather gloves. Maybe the goat hideones you speak of. Warm and they hold up well. I generally get well into my second season on them before I throw them out. I am always splitting so they take a lot of abuse from always having to fuck with shit. When ever I get something like a pair of Dakine gloves I regret it. I am lucky if those make 15-20 days.

Black Diamond comes pretty close with their gloves. They are made with the skier or alpinist in mind. You can often find them on sale though. At the gear stash and they frequently pop up on SAC. Also discount shops like the Wilderness Exchange in Denver or Second Ascent in Seattle have good deals on them too.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums