Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Photography, Video, and Other Media (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/photography-video-other-media/)
-   -   Looking for some feeback (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/photography-video-other-media/47641-looking-some-feeback.html)

thoop 03-12-2012 10:07 AM

Looking for some feeback
 
What up! Just joined the site. Love the vibe and how friendly everyone is. My name is Todd...I'm from Boulder, Co.

So my buddies and I always make videos, but we got tired of putting them on vimeo because we'd link them to our facebook but most of our friends wouldn't watch them since they don't ride. I tried my hand at making a website that would solve our problem and I'm looking for some feedback from fellow boarders.

The site is shreddedsteeze.com. I'm looking for some honest feedback. I made the site so you can tag users and locations in your video. That way you can go to your user page and see all the videos you're in, or go to a location(like Keystone) and see all the videos of people riding at Keystone.

Any feedback is really appreciated, and I'm especially looking for negative feedback! If you wouldn't use the site, I'd love to know why.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully this doesn't sound like a spam post :rolleyes:

-Todd

david_z 03-12-2012 10:39 AM

I like the idea.

Donutz 03-12-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thoop (Post 494799)
What up! Just joined the site. Love the vibe and how friendly everyone is.

If this was a sitcom, this would be the cue for someone to step in and abuse the hell out of you :laugh:

thoop 03-12-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donutz (Post 494886)
If this was a sitcom, this would be the cue for someone to step in and abuse the hell out of you :laugh:

haha. you totally just missed your chance!

thoop 03-13-2012 02:12 PM

No one wants to rip me a new one?? c'mon! I know it sucks there's not a whole lot on there yet, but what else sucks? :dunno:

CaP17A 03-14-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thoop (Post 495263)
No one wants to rip me a new one?? c'mon! I know it sucks there's not a whole lot on there yet, but what else sucks? :dunno:

Almost seems a little like strapdup.com but the idea is good....white is a boring background, maybe put a mountain or something else in there to keep it a little more interesting

david_z 03-14-2012 03:51 PM

OK here's what sucks:

Numero Uno: If you straight up want to kill your site, don't use existing APIs and force people to create a new & separate log in rather than leveraging existing credentials from Twitter, FB, etc. The more clicks & sign-up sheets you put in their way, the fewer of them will ever do it.

Two: Every other month, someone else has this exact same idea: "Let's make a snowboard community website!" and it always flops. Hell, look at ShredUnion.com that's a site that IMO had great potential, has (or had?) a good number of participants, but it fucking sucks for a lot of reasons and it is basically dead because of shitty implementation. I'm not saying you're going to crash and burn like everyone else, but you're going to need to do it better & faster than everyone else if you want to have a chance.

Thrice: You come on a forum with several hundred (or thousand???) active members and try to direct us to what is, essentially, a rival product, albeit an upstart one. What you're looking for, well, it's ALREADY HERE. So what you can't "tag" your friends on the forum. Who cares? You're going to have to do 1,000% better than this forum (and others like it) to get even a fraction of the loyal readers to frequent an upstart site; it's a major uphill battle.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it them's just the straight up facts.

Something I would like to see: A site that is not just a pro/am video aggregator. Honestly, if you're at all in tune with the world you get bombarded with every pro teams edit's and teasers and I get sick of seeing them the last thing I want to see is all the same fucking videos on yet-another-site-I-log-in-to-everyday.

thoop 03-14-2012 03:52 PM

Nice! I like the idea of a silhouette of a mountain on the background or something . I'll definitely look into doing that asap. Thanks for checking it out. I appreciate it.

I've watched quite a few videos on strapdup but since it's specifically for snowboarding, I wanted shreddedsteeze.com to be for all action sports. I know a lot of people that film for snow, surf, wake, and skate. Also, I wanted it to be more about tagging your buddies in your videos so you'd be able to see all of the videos a certain person is in.

Thanks for the feedback CaP17A! :D

thoop 03-14-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_z (Post 495711)
OK here's what sucks:

Numero Uno: If you straight up want to kill your site, don't use existing APIs and force people to create a new & separate log in rather than leveraging existing credentials from Twitter, FB, etc. The more clicks & sign-up sheets you put in their way, the fewer of them will ever do it.

Two: Every other month, someone else has this exact same idea: "Let's make a snowboard community website!" and it always flops. Hell, look at ShredUnion.com that's a site that IMO had great potential, has (or had?) a good number of participants, but it fucking sucks for a lot of reasons and it is basically dead because of shitty implementation. I'm not saying you're going to crash and burn like everyone else, but you're going to need to do it better & faster than everyone else if you want to have a chance.

Thrice: You come on a forum with several hundred (or thousand???) active members and try to direct us to what is, essentially, a rival product, albeit an upstart one. What you're looking for, well, it's ALREADY HERE. So what you can't "tag" your friends on the forum. Who cares? You're going to have to do 1,000% better than this forum (and others like it) to get even a fraction of the loyal readers to frequent an upstart site; it's a major uphill battle.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it them's just the straight up facts.

Something I would like to see: A site that is not just a pro/am video aggregator. Honestly, if you're at all in tune with the world you get bombarded with every pro teams edit's and teasers and I get sick of seeing them the last thing I want to see is all the same fucking videos on yet-another-site-I-log-in-to-everyday.

Awesome! Exactly the feedback I was looking for.

I really do want it to be a site that isn't just pro/am footage. My buddies and I make videos all the time and we are pretty terrible. I just wanted a place for us to be able to share our decent riding(but cool videos) with other people just like us.

I like the idea of using other login services as another option. I'll have to add that to the top of the list.

I agree totally with your #2.

And lastly, I never thought of the site as a rival site to a forum like this. If my site(or any) would be a place to post your videos so that you can link to them on a forum, that's what I'm all about. Letting the groups of friends who arent pro/am to get together and share. That way you could post a link to your latest video and maybe someone wants to view more of your videos? They'd watch the video, then find all the other videos you're in on your user page. I think that's amplifying the forums, not trying to take members away.

Maybe people don't care at all about tagging themselves or friends/locations in their videos. I created the site because my buddies and I wanted a product like that, then posted on here to see if other people felt the same way.

I really appreciate the awesome feedback!

thoop 03-27-2012 09:55 PM

Alright david_z, I'm back for more! I've been working on the site a lot and would love to hear some more of your honest feedback http://shreddedsteeze.com :) I really appreciate it. Hopefully you don't still feel like it's a rival product, in the same way that I don't think that Vimeo is a rival to the forums.

Thanks!

Todd


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2