Drunk with power...er beer.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Question about Drift cameras
This question is effectively for baconzoo, since you work for Drift. But I'd rather put it in a public thread so everyone learns.
I'm seriously looking at the Drift. Had one too many days of filming with the Contour only to get home and discover the vids didn't take well. I was looking into buying a small laptop or netbook to keep in the car to review with during the day, but realized I'm throwing good money after bad.
So, one or more of the new Drifts allow you to use your smartphone to control the camera and review the vids. Or will, once the apps are released, according to the web page.
- Which models support this and which don't?
- Will all current models that claim to, actually support the app when it comes out? I'm concerned about ending up with a Rev1 model and you need a Rev2 model to do that.
- Any timeline on the app? Is it imminent, or months away?
- Can you actually play a vid on the phone? To clarify, my understanding of the high-end Contour is that you can't actually play the vid to the phone - you just see a snapshot.
- Any other gotchas that I'm missing? I've been around long enough to become really cynical about the difference between marketing and reality. "Oh, well, we never actually SAID you could do that" and so forth.
Anyway, any input gratefully accepted.
Illegitimi non carborundum.