Hero 3 HD Black, Silver or White Edition? What's the Big diffrence? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accuracy View Post
I got the black edition so i maybe bias but the remote is pretty handy and maybe i won't used it to its full potential but maybe i will i still want to have those options.

$400 Black w/ Remote

$300 Silver + wifi remote $80 = $380 not unless you have and iphone you can use the app.


$100 for the extra features and wifi remote for me it's worth it.
If you're buying straight off the site, then yeah, you make as well splurge, but in store, currently Future Shop has the silver on sale for $300, and the remote for $100, which brings the total to $400. For the black edition I spent $475 on it, after tax. After taxes and stuff, you still end up saving about $55.
boarderaholic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go with the Silver edition. Also, battery life isn't terrible so long as you use it appropriately. Turn WiFi off, only record when you have to (don't leave it recording when you're on the lift for example).

I have both the Silver and the Black editions and for the price the Silver edition is amazing.

And you won't feel so bad when it flies off your helmet and tumbles down the mountain!
hoodboard4life is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
vknyvz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rutherford, NJ
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodboard4life View Post
Go with the Silver edition. Also, battery life isn't terrible so long as you use it appropriately. Turn WiFi off, only record when you have to (don't leave it recording when you're on the lift for example).

I have both the Silver and the Black editions and for the price the Silver edition is amazing.

And you won't feel so bad when it flies off your helmet and tumbles down the mountain!
this lil thing supposed to be really strong, look at the vid on my first post, fell from 12000 feet and still fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom111 View Post
Not sure on the price of the gopro but have you considered other alternatives ?
no not really what else is out there?

Setup
2014 Never Summer Proto HDX 158cm
2012 Flow Trilogy Bindings XL

Last edited by vknyvz; 02-21-2013 at 09:59 AM.
vknyvz is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vknyvz View Post
this lil thing supposed to be really strong, look at the vid on my first post, fell from 12000 feet and still fine


no not really what else is out there?
There's the contour camera as well. I couldn't tell you anything about them though.

Cameras | Contour
boarderaholic is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Member
 
zoom111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: West Canada
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your looking for something to film with and have a bit of fun then you should check out the RD32II. It's around 125$ and shoots in full HD. I don't film very often and didn't want to spend too much on a camera that I would be using a few times a year. Overall I'm very happy with the camera, it can do video, photos and audio (waterproof also). Here's a sample video from youtube (watch in HD) and a few shots I took at Tremblant early this year (raw photo, no editing)









zoom111 is offline  
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver,BC
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic View Post
If you're buying straight off the site, then yeah, you make as well splurge, but in store, currently Future Shop has the silver on sale for $300, and the remote for $100, which brings the total to $400. For the black edition I spent $475 on it, after tax. After taxes and stuff, you still end up saving about $55.
Yeah i bought mine online, we do alot of cross border shopping. Its way cheaper.
accuracy is offline  
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been researching cameras WAAAAY too much and I can say that in terms of pic/video quality, functionality and camera specs... the Hero 3 black has it. I just really didn't like the boxy look of the Gopros and wanted a cylinder like the ion air pro, but the smaller Hero 3 and 120 fps 720p did it for me.

Other options are:
Contour
Ion air pro (pro 2 model being released soon)
Drift HD
Replay XD1080 --> I really like this one, seems perfect for boarding and pretty small. Not technically waterproof... I emailed them with some questions and they never responded so I said fuck it.

Here is a list of 10... hero3 black is in the top spot:

Best Action Cameras to buy in 2013 | Geonaute 360-degree action camera | T3
BigmountainVMD is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
vknyvz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rutherford, NJ
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
I've been researching cameras WAAAAY too much and I can say that in terms of pic/video quality, functionality and camera specs... the Hero 3 black has it. I just really didn't like the boxy look of the Gopros and wanted a cylinder like the ion air pro, but the smaller Hero 3 and 120 fps 720p did it for me.

Other options are:
Contour
Ion air pro (pro 2 model being released soon)
Drift HD
Replay XD1080 --> I really like this one, seems perfect for boarding and pretty small. Not technically waterproof... I emailed them with some questions and they never responded so I said fuck it.

Here is a list of 10... hero3 black is in the top spot:

Best Action Cameras to buy in 2013 | Geonaute 360-degree action camera | T3
wow dude i really like the Contour ROAM2 and ion speed pro, circular shape really look nice

but hero 3 comes first, i wonder where silver will go in this list, I mean from what I can tell difference isn't that much just 1mp more and lens is different, which makes a difference I know, lens is all about a camera.

i found a gopro silver brand new never opened box, buying it today for 250, that's like 70 in savings he says it's never opened in box so we will see

Setup
2014 Never Summer Proto HDX 158cm
2012 Flow Trilogy Bindings XL
vknyvz is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vknyvz View Post
wow dude i really like the Contour ROAM2 and ion speed pro, circular shape really look nice

but hero 3 comes first, i wonder where silver will go in this list, I mean from what I can tell difference isn't that much just 1mp more and lens is different, which makes a difference I know, lens is all about a camera.

i found a gopro silver brand new never opened box, buying it today for 250, that's like 70 in savings he says it's never opened in box so we will see
The Ion air pro was pretty cool and has double the battery life of a gopro at 2.5 hours and that is without a battery pod. It has similar connection in the back for this whole "pod" thing where you can add a wifi-pod or a battery-pod if you want to use it with your phone or get more record time.

The Ion air pro 2 ups the ante going from 5MP to 14MP, but I couldn't find any more info on it. I just really like the small contour, simple slider record operation and battery life. Video quality on the original was sub par, and low light recording was not good. The 2nd edition should be better. The only thing I cant figure out with these cylinder cams is that you have to do a side helmet mount for POV, and there is no way to do that in a clean looking way w/o just attaching to a goggle strap, which is too elastic and wiggly IMO.
BigmountainVMD is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
vknyvz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rutherford, NJ
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
got the silver one for 250

god micro sd's are so freaking expensive

Setup
2014 Never Summer Proto HDX 158cm
2012 Flow Trilogy Bindings XL
vknyvz is offline  
Reply

Tags
camera gopro recording

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome