Arlen Specter is my hero!!! Second time!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MunkySpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkshires
Posts: 3,212
Default Arlen Specter is my hero!!! Second time!!

Specter to switch to Democratic party - Martin Kady II and John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com

Put people before politics.

Keep religion out of politics and politics out of science.
MunkySpunk is offline  
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
SpringheelJack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Specter was going to get his ass kicked in his next primary. This is political manuevering at its most blatant. That certainly doesn't deserve a round of applause.
 
Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
slimpanzee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The farther right the Republicans go, the more they're gonna alienate not just party members, but voters as well. This should come as no surprise. For the Dems, it's a good move so that they have one more to achieve the 60 seats they desire. However, do you really want a 79 year old moderate conservative come the next election filling that seat, or a true dem, younger in age with new ideas?? Just a thought.
 
Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
SpringheelJack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I disagree, If you look at his voting record, he has been far more moderate than these far right extremists like Brownbeck. I am not at all surprised by this and with the damn filibustering these asshat Republicans are doing just for the sake of being obstructionists, I am glad to see it.
He's been just as moderate since the mid-60s, the last time he changed political affiliations to get himself elected. You're kidding yourself if you think that this was a crisis of conscience that just happily happened to strike right before he got booted out of office.
 
Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
SpringheelJack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Well, regardless of the reasons, I am not going to bitch about it for it helps our side become more filibuster proof and further marginalizes the Republican party as it should be until it pulls its collective head out of it`s ass.

In short, I could not care less about his motifs. The end result is what I find important...
That's all I'm looking for. It's smart politics (especially for Specter), but it's not something he should be winning humanitarian of the year award for.
 
Old 04-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 190
Default

Kind of OT, but now they're talking about Newt Gingrich running for president in 2012..now that's one scray thought....what's next? Rush Limbaugh for VP?

Last edited by ScBlack; 04-28-2009 at 06:21 PM.
ScBlack is offline  
Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
SpringheelJack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlack View Post
Kind of OT, but now they're talking about Newt Gingrich running for president in 2012..now that's one scray thought....what's next? Rush Limbaugh for VP?
Newt Gringrich is permanently done after his comment about refusing to accept Clinton's budget because he made him sit in the back of the plane. I don't think anyone's political career has crashed and burned in so dramatic a fashion as his.
 
Old 04-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringheelJack View Post
Newt Gringrich is permanently done after his comment about refusing to accept Clinton's budget because he made him sit in the back of the plane. I don't think anyone's political career has crashed and burned in so dramatic a fashion as his.
haha, I think most of us remember that...


ScBlack is offline  
Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MunkySpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkshires
Posts: 3,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringheelJack View Post
Specter was going to get his ass kicked in his next primary. This is political manuevering at its most blatant. That certainly doesn't deserve a round of applause.
Which is in response to the blatant political maneuvering of the Repub PAC's to get him unseated as a result of his support for the stimulus bill. They made it clear they were going to pour money into getting Specter defeated in 2010 for no other reason. Those idiots are living in a dream world of ideals while Arlen is at least looking out for his constituents. It's pure idiocy to use political wrangling to keep a man (which the majority of Pennsylvanians want in office) out of the running on the sole basis of not winning the primary election for your irrelevant party because the idiot zombie masses will vote however Rush tells them.

That certainly doesn't deserve a round of applause.

Arlen knows the popular majority of his state wants him even if the minority of the pea-brained right doesn't. He's looking out for his people because he knows his Rush-installed replacement wouldn't. He's putting his people before party - THAT deserves a round of applause.
MunkySpunk is offline  
Old 04-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
SpringheelJack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Again, it's very sound politics, but that's all it is: political gamesmanship. He's always been a democrat-leaning-republican, which is why A) He's never been that popular within his party, and B) He's had such long tenure in a primarily democratic state. The republicans decided they were better off without him, and decided to see if they could get someone new elected. Specter knew that switching to the democratic party would make him a temporary golden boy to the democrats, and help his chances in Penn. It's a win-win-win for Arlen, the Democrats, and the Republicans, at least until someone loses the general election, when it will become win-win-lose or lose-lose-win. (You can be sure the republican outrage is feigned, most of them probably saw this coming 20 years ago)

It's a simple act of political self-preservation, neither an abominable outrage as the republicans would like you to see it, or a heroic stand against injustice and the forces of Skeletor, as the democrats would like you to see it. Don't buy either company line.
 
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums