Emails - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 1,922
Default

yeah those fatties.
snowjeeper is offline  
Old 12-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 1,922
Default

the only people that have anything to lose by going to "greener" and more sustainable energy sources are the oil and coal companies. anything that eliminates our dependance on that shit hole the middle east is good.
snowjeeper is offline  
Old 12-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Thadwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 140
Default

George Carlin said it best.

"The greatest arrogance of all, 'save the planet'."
Thadwood is offline  
Old 12-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Flick Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana *sigh*
Posts: 4,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadwood View Post
George Carlin said it best.

"The greatest arrogance of all, 'save the planet'."
Getting any political or environmental standpoints from a comedian leads me to think priorities may be out of whack...

Mankind is in a position to do BENEFICIAL things for the planet, rather than shirk our responsibilities of protecting it. You may think it is arrogant to want to save the planet, but I think it is small-minded not to.
__________________
Zombie Nation
Gear:
Rome Design 165 / Rome Arsenals
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline  
Old 12-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MunkySpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkshires
Posts: 3,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
Getting any political or environmental standpoints from a comedian leads me to think priorities may be out of whack...
I dunno. I read The New England Journal of Medicine for laughs and crude humor.
__________________
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline  
Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Thadwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
Getting any political or environmental standpoints from a comedian leads me to think priorities may be out of whack...

Mankind is in a position to do BENEFICIAL things for the planet, rather than shirk our responsibilities of protecting it. You may think it is arrogant to want to save the planet, but I think it is small-minded not to.
I think George Carlin was pointing out that the only reason we harbor such a strong inclination to save the planet is because it serves our best interests as humans concerned with the continuity of our species, not so much that the act of taking steps to improve the air or the water is wrong or misguided.

Also, the aforementioned arrogance stems from the belief that we have a necessary role to play in the planet's recovery, that we have a responsibility to protect it from harm, that it somehow cannot continue to exist without our help. I don't think he states that he finds it arrogant to want to do beneficial things for the planet.

He may have been a comedian, but I don't think someone's profession invalidates their opinion. Remember that his comedic success came from his ability to think critically and articulate intelligent arguments in a way that made people laugh.

It's my opinion that Carlin was pretty on point with this one.
Thadwood is offline  
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Flick Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana *sigh*
Posts: 4,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadwood View Post
He may have been a comedian, but I don't think someone's profession invalidates their opinion.
I do. I don't listen to environmental opinions from entertainers or politicians.

And if the desire to continue your species is arrogant, then every act of procreation by every species on the planet is a selfish deed. What's so wrong with wanting to continue surviving? What's so wrong with wanting to better our own lives?

The REAL arrogance is in not striving to better the lives of the people on this planet. Idiots who drive Hummers and companies that dump waste into streams is where real arrogance is.

That act sounded to me like Carlin was just trying to be dramatic and dig for material that would make people who think the 7 dirty words are funny laugh for a few minutes. But then, I don't find Carlin funny anyways.
__________________
Zombie Nation
Gear:
Rome Design 165 / Rome Arsenals
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline  
Old 12-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Thadwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
I do. I don't listen to environmental opinions from entertainers or politicians.
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
And if the desire to continue your species is arrogant, then every act of procreation by every species on the planet is a selfish deed. What's so wrong with wanting to continue surviving? What's so wrong with wanting to better our own lives?
I didn't say that human instinct is arrogant, and neither did Carlin. I'll state again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadwood View Post
The aforementioned arrogance stems from the belief that we have a necessary role to play in the planet's recovery, that we have a responsibility to protect it from harm, that it somehow cannot continue to exist without our help. I don't think he states that he finds it arrogant to want to do beneficial things for the planet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
The REAL arrogance is in not striving to better the lives of the people on this planet. Idiots who drive Hummers and companies that dump waste into streams is where real arrogance is.
Agreed, but I think this is what Carlin meant when he said "The planet is fine; the PEOPLE are fucked." People driving hummers and companies dumping waste into waterways are examples of human activity making it harder for humans to live. This is why Carlin said environmentalists don't give a shit about the planet. He stated that they're concerned with a clean place for themselves to live (which isn't a bad thing at all, but the method by which they market their activities is misleading according to Carlin's logic.)
Thadwood is offline  
Old 12-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Flick Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana *sigh*
Posts: 4,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadwood View Post
"The planet is fine; the PEOPLE are fu**ed."
Quoted because nothing else needs to be said.

The worst case scenario for Earth is that humanity wipes itself out, and honestly, that's probably not such a bad thing in the planet's case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadwood View Post
Why?
Because I generalize all entertainers as mental and all politicians as untrustworthy.
__________________
Zombie Nation
Gear:
Rome Design 165 / Rome Arsenals
Rome Anthem 158

Last edited by Flick Montana; 12-05-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Flick Montana is offline  
Old 12-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Thadwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
Because I generalize all entertainers as mental and all politicians as untrustworthy.
You know what they say about madness and genius .
Thadwood is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums