Christians for Haiti - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Deviant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,746
Default

Assuming the cults are really keeping 60%, you're saying you respect a bunch of people that, for one, use scare tactics to get you to go to church, brainwash kids at sunday school into thinking that if they don't follow the bible they'll go to hell, and not to mention are pushing religion instead of aid? The churches don't beg for money? What about when they pass the donation plate around?

I'm sorry but the Red Cross's overhead is around 9%, that's 9 cents on the dollar. Considering the help they give, is 9% a lot? Hell no.
Deviant is offline  
Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bryantp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 381
Blog Entries: 2
Default Haiti

The story there is so deep and the problems so great...and that was before the earthquake. Tonton Macoute, Papa and Baby Doc Duvalier, U.S. secret cooperation, slavery, torture, Aristide, etc. The topsoil is gone...farming isn't very productive.

I'm a Buddhist so forgive me for going biblical -- we don't just need to provide food and medical care (we do need to do that), we need to teach them to fish (figuratively).
bryantp is offline  
Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
boarder3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 104
Default

You guys are really going to sit here and bash the people that are actually down in Hati risking their lifes? I can gurantee a large percentage of the volunteers in Hati are their with a religious group. I can also gurantee a large percent of the monney donated was from religious groups.

This disaster tore families apart, do you really think that the people arent mentally exhausted? The bible teaches that their is hope, even in the worst times. You cant sit here and say the bible teaches people to kill and discriminate. Although I do agree that electronic bibles are completely overboard, you have to give the people down there some respect. There putting their lives at risk while we sit here in the saftey of our homes.

I am not trying to start some religious debate of any kind but come on, show some respect.
boarder3 is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MunkySpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkshires
Posts: 3,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdsnowman View Post
So in all fairness I ask this question based on the fact that other than this earthquake Haiti hasnt seen much better days...
Really? When were you in Haiti to make this call? What's your frame of reference?
Quote:
"Where was all this support, relief and good will for the people of Haiti from the beginning when they really needed it. If we really care as people, why then do we wait for tragedy??
Good point. If that's a solid argument for not donating one red penny, I don't know what is. Good going MPD, you just saved me $10 that I would have donated to Haiti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdsnowman View Post
What I am saying is Haiti has been a known sore thumb on the hand for many many decades and I dont believe you need to be asked 35 different ways to donate while on the way to the mailbox because of a natural disaster tragedy!
And upstate has been a known sore thumb on the hand for many many decades (ever since the eerie canal became obsolete and everyone up there obstinately refused to acknowledge it). So now you've got idiots like unshackleupstate begging for money, whining about shit being unfair, complaining that downstate lives better than they do, and imagining some sort of vast conspiracy to bury the state fair because they can't wrap their brains around the fact that people who live in the non-hick downstate parts of NY have better things to do than driving to the middle of god-forsaken west bum-fuck New York to drink colored milk and watch pigs race.

Where's your posts advocating that upstate is begging and crying for money? Where's the posts saying 'Upstate has been in bad shape for years, it's a little too late to ask for money now'? Where's the posts saying 'Upstate doesn't need to be begging for money in 35 different ways.'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdsnowman View Post
Where the fuck were three quarters of you assholes when they needed it 38 years ago...Ohhhh most of you were not even fucking born yet so how can you even have a clue what I am talking about!!!
Does that make you special somehow? Do you now have some sort of special bond with Haiti and a deeper understanding of what's going on down there? Where the fuck were you? Not in Haiti and not helping Haiti I'll wager. Which makes this point of your argument completely invalid. Is everyone 38 and over magically an expert on Haiti and what they need? Cuz from where I'm sitting, you seem to know neither jack nor shit about what's going on.
__________________
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13

Last edited by MunkySpunk; 01-21-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Really bad freudian slip typo.
MunkySpunk is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bryantp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 381
Blog Entries: 2
Default Haiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
driving to the middle of god-forsaken west bum-fuck New York to drink colored milk and watch pigs race..
Sounds epic. Can I still get tickets?

Haiti has suffered forever. There's a lot going on now to address it. While it might seem overkill, given our attention spans, they better get it while they can.

Galveston, TX still suffers from hurricane damage as does New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast but they're off the radar. More power to Haiti...we've overlooked them a long time.

They have my best wishes and hopes and a few bucks as soon as I can choose my charity.
bryantp is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,832
Default

Carmen, jesus dude, you really don't care about anything but defending your position even when you are way off base.

Granted Haiti was a third world country. That doesn't mean they didn't have anything to lose, and contrary to what you say, they did have an infrastructure. No, it was not an industrialized nation's infrastructure, but they did have one. Now they don't have that, don't have homes, don't have the basics. Saying that there is enough money already there is retarded. Fact is there isn't. Grow up.

Last edited by killclimbz; 01-21-2010 at 12:30 PM.
killclimbz is online now  
Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Deviant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder3 View Post
You guys are really going to sit here and bash the people that are actually down in Hati risking their lifes? I can gurantee a large percentage of the volunteers in Hati are their with a religious group. I can also gurantee a large percent of the monney donated was from religious groups.

This disaster tore families apart, do you really think that the people arent mentally exhausted? The bible teaches that their is hope, even in the worst times. You cant sit here and say the bible teaches people to kill and discriminate. Although I do agree that electronic bibles are completely overboard, you have to give the people down there some respect. There putting their lives at risk while we sit here in the saftey of our homes.

I am not trying to start some religious debate of any kind but come on, show some respect.
My problem with this is (as stated in another post) is that the religious groups come in and push the bible on people when they are at their most vulnerable. They don't need a bible they need food, water, doctor aid and a shelter. Lets say my city gets nuked and I survive, if someone has water in one hand and a bible in the other, which would I reach for first? Stop clogging the ports with their religious "gifts", make room for something the people actually need. If a box of bibles is sent it's one less box of food and water and we all know that there are issues getting all the supplies in.
Deviant is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 1,922
Default

i'm guessing that 90%, at least, of haitians are christian already.
snowjeeper is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
boarder3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonX8 View Post
My problem with this is (as stated in another post) is that the religious groups come in and push the bible on people when they are at their most vulnerable. They don't need a bible they need food, water, doctor aid and a shelter. Lets say my city gets nuked and I survive, if someone has water in one hand and a bible in the other, which would I reach for first? Stop clogging the ports with their religious "gifts", make room for something the people actually need. If a box of bibles is sent it's one less box of food and water and we all know that there are issues getting all the supplies in.
I do agree with alot of this. But as I said before, the people are emotionally torn apart..giving them hope isnt necisarrily a bad thing.
boarder3 is offline  
Old 01-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 295
Default

I am not going to go into much detail but I have worked in Haiti and I have friends and family that live there. My wife lived there for 6 years ( like 27 years ago ). They have run schools and missions there for 30 plus years. ALOT of what has been said is so far off base it doesn't even warrent a responce.

I love when people quote "facts" about what they have "heard".
Catman is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums