Arizona: Immigration LAw - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ATOTony76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mt. HOOD
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arizona: Immigration LAw

I find it really weird that no one has posted something about this yet!

Anyways I'm pretty sure everyone on here who isn't living in a cave has heard about the new law Arizona has just passed that will enforce stricter immigration laws which would include the following:

Quote:
Under the new Arizona law, immigrants unable to produce documents showing they are allowed to be in the U.S. could be arrested, jailed for up to six months and fined $2,500. That is a significant escalation of the typical federal punishment for being here illegally -- deportatio - Foxnews
Fox News - Immigration Law in Arizona

Of course this has the hispanic community all across the United States, especially in Arizona, hispanics going nuts. They believe that this new law will lead to racial profiling against any person who may look or sound foreign to the country or region.

Personally I am really on the fence about this one because while I am for the rights of all individuals, we need to take serious steps on solving illegal immigration in this country, it is costing tax pays millions of dollars. Arizona officials say they have no choice but to take serious action themselves if the government is going to do anything about it.

Correct me if im wrong but say you were a alien in the United States (A person living on a visa) or hell even a United Citizen, if a police officer comes to you with suspicion that you may not be a citizen, is it really that hard to pull out an I.D?

Union Danny Kass signature model
Lib Tech Skate Banana
K2 Darko Boots
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
 
Flick Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana *sigh*
Posts: 4,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've actually discussed the crap out of this thing on My350Z so I'm not really up for a drawn-out conversation on it.

Basically, I agree that it will lead to racial profiling and that it violates the rights of hispanics who live here legally. I think it is a really piss poor way to try to fight illegal immigration. In my opinion, the only REAL way to stop illegal immigration is to spend the time and money to rebuild Mexico's economy. While I don't agree with having illegal aliens in our nation, I can hardly blame these people for fleeing a country which can't always provide even the basics like clean drinking water when the United States is right on their doorstep.

I don't think this law will last for long, at least not without some modifications.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it in a much funnier way: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...0/law---border

Zombie Nation
Gear:
Rome Design 165 / Rome Arsenals
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline  
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ATOTony76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mt. HOOD
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
I've actually discussed the crap out of this thing on My350Z so I'm not really up for a drawn-out conversation on it.

Basically, I agree that it will lead to racial profiling and that it violates the rights of hispanics who live here legally. I think it is a really piss poor way to try to fight illegal immigration. In my opinion, the only REAL way to stop illegal immigration is to spend the time and money to rebuild Mexico's economy. While I don't agree with having illegal aliens in our nation, I can hardly blame these people for fleeing a country which can't always provide even the basics like clean drinking water when the United States is right on their doorstep.

I don't think this law will last for long, at least not without some modifications.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it in a much funnier way: Video: Law & Border | The Daily Show | Comedy Central
Why should we rebuild some ones economy when they are the ones who pissed it down the drain in the first place. Its not America's job to fix the world and all of its problems, It tends to lead to more money out of tax payers pockets and no one really appreciates us anyways for anything we do. The middle east is a fine example.

I respect immigration because we are country that was built from the ground up from it, but i do not support illegal immigration what so ever. United States citizens have rights, illegals do not and should not be treated as if they do.

Union Danny Kass signature model
Lib Tech Skate Banana
K2 Darko Boots
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline  
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdsnowman View Post
At least I get the news up at camp

I saw this. I really dont think its what people are taking it as. It seems to me this is how it would work...

Carmello a mexican got caught drunk on the street trying to steal something from someones car. Police arrive and do their thing. "Within" this situation they now have the right to question carmello's imigration status. There not just going to walk up to anyone on the street and say show me your card

And dont worry about profiling. Thats been done for ever and will continue forever. Thats a tool they need nowadays more than ever.
The weird thing is, I thought that have always been the case? Am I missing something here? If a police arrested someone with no legal documentation, don't they already investigate their status and eventually gets to the INS? So what makes this law any different?
yusoweird is offline  
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 1,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm pretty sure it's not within the state's rights to set immigration laws. Either way you can be assured of this being thrown out. One, it's unconstitutional and two, both republicans and democrats will be united against it. Democrats want to win over mexican votes and republicans are paid by big companies that need cheap labor in this country.
snowjeeper is offline  
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
 
Cr0_Reps_Smit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SMiThville, NJ (Summit County in winter)
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yusoweird View Post
The weird thing is, I thought that have always been the case? Am I missing something here? If a police arrested someone with no legal documentation, don't they already investigate their status and eventually gets to the INS? So what makes this law any different?
i think before you just got deported, now you get fined.
Cr0_Reps_Smit is offline  
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
 
Flick Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana *sigh*
Posts: 4,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOTony76 View Post
Why should we rebuild some ones economy when they are the ones who pissed it down the drain in the first place.
Because their crappy situation is the reason we have illegal immigration problems. No one in Canada is blitzing our border because they can stand on their own feet. If we were smart, we'd spend money helping Mexico on their feet, we'd stop exploiting them as cheap labor and we'd give the Mexican citizens a reason to stay at home rather than flee to us.

Instead, we spend our money trying to build democratic nations half way across the world rather than on our doorstep.

Zombie Nation
Gear:
Rome Design 165 / Rome Arsenals
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline  
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 03:08 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MunkySpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkshires
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find it funny the folks who are clamoring for a smaller government, less spending, less taxes, and the government to stay out of peoples' lives want the National Guard shipped to the border, the government to intervene, and the local police force to start pulling over muchachos. Of course, they want all this and lower taxes while they scratch their heads and wonder why we're always running a deficit. Go figure.

All this law does is hurt Arizona in the long run. All the hispanics, legal and illegal, are going to pull up tent stakes and move to another state with their families, their money, and their state taxes.

Tourists who are bothered by white supremacist laws are going to go somewhere else too.

Once Arizona realizes they are hemorrhaging money because of this idiocy, they'll overturn it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit View Post
i think before you just got deported, now you get fined.
That's hardly effective. What's the punishment if they don't pay the fine? Deportation? They keep you here?
MunkySpunk is offline  
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Senior Member
 
jpb3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: dubV
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The fact is many Latino's and Indian families have lived in the southwest far longer than the white man has settled these shores. The Europeans invaded North America and took control of it by force from those that were living here. In addition the US government bribed/bartered/swindled/bullied their way in purchasing claims of land (including much of the current southwest from Mexico)from other European nations who presumed they owned it b/c their explorers "found it" and laid claim.

What I am trying to get at is that if you are a Native American or Latino whose ancestry is based in the southwest US how would you like to be profiled and expected to carry proof of citizenship wherever you go? 24/7/365 you must carry identification. Even though your family may have been here hundred of years earlier than even the earliest European explores/settlers you are now expected to carry documentation at all times proving you belong here or you can be arrested and detained without recourse!

I am a white man of Scottish descent, my family came to the "colonies" in 1738 from Edinburgh. I believe that ILLEGAL immigration is a problem and something must be done. However, profiling people in this manner is not American, nor is it constitutional.

Think about your experiences in life and tell me that this type of law will not be abused or exploited by the police? Basically if you have brown skin and live in AZ your fked buddy, and your going to have to grab your ankles and take it w/o protest b/c of this law.

It makes sick.
jpb3 is offline  
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ATOTony76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mt. HOOD
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb3 View Post
The fact is many Latino's and Indian families have lived in the southwest far longer than the white man has settled these shores. The Europeans invaded North America and took control of it by force from those that were living here. In addition the US government bribed/bartered/swindled/bullied their way in purchasing claims of land (including much of the current southwest from Mexico)from other European nations who presumed they owned it b/c their explorers "found it" and laid claim.

What I am trying to get at is that if you are a Native American or Latino whose ancestry is based in the southwest US how would you like to be profiled and expected to carry proof of citizenship wherever you go? 24/7/365 you must carry identification. Even though your family may have been here hundred of years earlier than even the earliest European explores/settlers you are now expected to carry documentation at all times proving you belong here or you can be arrested and detained without recourse!

I am a white man of Scottish descent, my family came to the "colonies" in 1738 from Edinburgh. I believe that ILLEGAL immigration is a problem and something must be done. However, profiling people in this manner is not American, nor is it constitutional.

Think about your experiences in life and tell me that this type of law will not be abused or exploited by the police? Basically if you have brown skin and live in AZ your fked buddy, and your going to have to grab your ankles and take it w/o protest b/c of this law.

It makes sick.
What part makes this law unconstitutional? Surely forcing people to pay health care is unconstitutional but everyone fuses about having to carry i.d. with them everywhere.

Union Danny Kass signature model
Lib Tech Skate Banana
K2 Darko Boots
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome