Good Job Obama: Not Sarcasm - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Zee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,423
Default

Back when I used to blog...

Daily Races....: The Iraq War... or how to swindle your own people
__________________

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline  
Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,529
Default

"However, the biggest beneficiaries of the war have been corporations that profit from it, andin turn the boards of directors of these companies. It would be curious to see how many of the pro-war neo-conservatives end up with cushy jobs at one of these companies.

Think about it. "




Many.
Good read man!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
KIRKRIDER is offline  
Old 09-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
HoboMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlo View Post
Agree with you. Sadly we don't even need to read 1984 anymore. War is the engine of capitalism. US IS the capitalism..hence this nation is at war at every generation.

I didn't grow up here, I'm, Italian, what I find truly amazing, is the apparently unlimited resource of youth WILLING to enroll in the Army and go to war. You realize that happens only here in US in the Western world? No other kid anywhere would do it...but here kids run to the Marines camps...why?
I feel alott of the reason is lack of education and opportunity. I think for many kids it's a Plan D; a way for them to get out of whatever life they think their going to lead, (working at Burger King in a shitty po-dunk town). Military advertising and recruitment also peddles it in exactly that way, my favorite was the billboard of some pristine tropical beach with the slogan, "The Places You Will Go....".

American philosophy is also extremely different from Europe, which I'm sure you can notice because of our more then less hostile foreign relations. Core Americans have this idea that they are the best, no one else can be the best, and if it takes getting loaded into a Hummer and shooting some turban-heads for a misguided and terrible cause, they are willing to do it. They want to "Serve their Country", when what they should really be doing is thinking about to what end their lives are actually being applied.

America as a nation isn't benefiting from their deaths, Dick Cheney and a room full of other crooks are.
__________________
PowderHound and TreeNinja

Last edited by HoboMaster; 09-01-2010 at 08:07 PM.
HoboMaster is offline  
Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,529
Default

Very good points. I lived here 11 years now, one of the main reasons IMO is that in Italy for example my dad's generation was under the WW2 bombs in Rome (US bombs in his case) and the memory of the war miseries is still fresh in that generation.
Being on the receiving end of ordinance gives you a different prospective on war. Any war.

Of course i'm not wishing that to US...but having a televised war where body bags are banned and images are censored from blood and dismembered bodies...makes for a very effective recruiting tool. Ant the pentagon knows that really well..
Even at the XGames...the biggest banner said "ARMY" or "NAVY"...war is a business..pure and simple, and here it is sold as such.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboMaster View Post
I feel alott of the reason is lack of education and opportunity. I think for many kids it's a Plan D; a way for them to get out of whatever life they think their going to lead, (working at Burger King in a shitty po-dunk town). Military advertising and recruitment also peddles it in exactly that way, my favorite was the billboard of some pristine tropical beach with the slogan, "The Places You Will Go....".

American philosophy is also extremely different from Europe, which I'm sure you can notice because of our more then less hostile foreign relations. Core Americans have this idea that they are the best, no one else can be the best, and if it takes getting loaded into a Hummer and shooting some turban-heads for a misguided and terrible cause, they are willing to do it. They want to "Serve their Country", when what they should really be doing is thinking about to what end their lives are actually being applied.

America as a nation isn't benefiting from their deaths, Dick Cheney and a room full of other crooks are.
KIRKRIDER is offline  
Old 09-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Muki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 476
Default

I'm not from this country, either...I had thoughts of joining the military..mainly because of the thrill and travel..had nothing to do with serving this country or the money..but I guess I decided to get my thrill from snowboarding
__________________
November needs to hurry up and come
Muki is offline  
Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
HoboMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,314
Default

Good choice Muki! Shredding mountains is much better then wading through sand.
__________________
PowderHound and TreeNinja
HoboMaster is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas
 
PaoloSmythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Only British blaady Columbia!!!
Posts: 4,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlo View Post
I find truly amazing.... the apparently unlimited resource of youth WILLING to enroll in the Army and go to war. You realize that happens only here in US in the Western world?
well it is not exclusive to america, but america is certainly a militarised state, which makes such things more abundant.

there are areas of the UK with a high proportion of the population being militarily recruited. it comes down to a lack of viable alternatives.

in a drab, dreary, no job town or city, the invitation to 'travel the world with your mates; learn a trade and get some excitement from conflict' can appeal. and of course those gung-ho types who think they will live forever (teenagers) are the key demographic being targeted.

of course many western nations still have mandatory conscription; italy only got rid of her's in 2005; but Zee Germans still have it today!
__________________
Just coz you don't understand it
Doesn't mean it makes no sense!
PaoloSmythe is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,529
Default

I know..I did my mandatory military service in 86...for one year. And I'm sure you're right about opther nations...I lived here and in Italy...so those are the places I know about.
And I get also what makes military life attractive to many, I just don't think it's worth loosing a limb over it..if you're lucky.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe View Post
well it is not exclusive to america, but america is certainly a militarised state, which makes such things more abundant.

there are areas of the UK with a high proportion of the population being militarily recruited. it comes down to a lack of viable alternatives.

in a drab, dreary, no job town or city, the invitation to 'travel the world with your mates; learn a trade and get some excitement from conflict' can appeal. and of course those gung-ho types who think they will live forever (teenagers) are the key demographic being targeted.

of course many western nations still have mandatory conscription; italy only got rid of her's in 2005; but Zee Germans still have it today!
KIRKRIDER is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas
 
PaoloSmythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Only British blaady Columbia!!!
Posts: 4,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlo View Post
I just don't think it's worth loosing a limb over it..if you're lucky.
but only the bad guys loose limbs. to suggest otherwise is unpatriotic! SIGN UP AND SERVE!!
__________________
Just coz you don't understand it
Doesn't mean it makes no sense!
PaoloSmythe is offline  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,529
Default

LOL! Right..hey if we were invaded I would not HESITATE! to enroll...but US was never attacked...actually US has always beeen the aggressor...
Besides...that'
s what Xe is for right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe View Post
but only the bad guys loose limbs. to suggest otherwise is unpatriotic! SIGN UP AND SERVE!!
KIRKRIDER is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums