OWS: Justification - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
With extra cheese.
 
CheeseForSteeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjeeper View Post
The free market is bullshit, that's why it won't work. There's no such thing, and there never will be. Even if we started from scratch, a few huge companies would still hold all the power. You think having no regulations on business would protect small businesses? Keep on drinking the crazy kool-aid.
Of course it wouldn't protect small business. It would also not protect large business and that's the real problem with regulatory practices anyway. The eventually provide disproportionately large measures of protection for large banking entities. That is the point I've already made in this thread.

Unless you demonstrate that you are actually reading what people are posting and come up with something salient in response, I don't think there's any reason to continue this. Just saying it's "bullshit" and not demonstrating why is completely ignorant.
CheeseForSteeze is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,387
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjeeper View Post
Have you studied history at all? All what you've said has already been proven false.
By your own admission (and I agree with you), there has never been the sort of free market round which this discussion is centered.

So, we agree that the conditions necessary to validate/invalidate that hypothesis have never existed. Therefore, conclude that what I said has NOT been proven false.

This is not to suggest that I am infallible (I'm not) nor that the argument is unfalsifiable, nor that the argument cannot be invalidated (maybe it can). But if you're interested in discourse you're going to have to do better than sloppily unsupported assertions that contradict your previous comments.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 42

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Boyne Mountain - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,387
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
Unless you demonstrate that you are actually reading what people are posting and come up with something salient in response, I don't think there's any reason to continue this. Just saying it's "bullshit" and not demonstrating why is completely ignorant.

My thoughts, too.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 42

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Boyne Mountain - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
With extra cheese.
 
CheeseForSteeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

I mean, I don't want to sound like a dick, and that probably does sound like it. But just saying the equivalent of "nuh uh" in so many words does not do anyone any good. There are merits and flaws to the solutions being suggested. I'm interested in discussing those, not just standing across from each other and flinging poo.
CheeseForSteeze is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 1,922
Default

Sorry, I was waiting for any salient evidence that the free market could ever possibly exist in reality. What you will get is what existed before any regulations, which is cut throat capitalism.
snowjeeper is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,387
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjeeper View Post
What you will get is what existed before any regulations, which is cut throat capitalism.
Since turnabout is fair play, when did this happen?
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 42

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Boyne Mountain - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,536
Blog Entries: 214
Default

Darfur.

Ultimate free market capitalism. No rules. At all.
__________________

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline  
Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Flick Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana *sigh*
Posts: 4,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjeeper View Post
well yeah I'm sure I lived off of 8k a year also as a college student - not including tuition and whatnot. Life is a little bit different when you're a student.
I made 18k, paid for an apartment and college. So, what about people who didn't get to go to college? They're suppose to make more than 18k without an education or trade skills?

One solution, a terrible one, is to simply jack up the taxes on the wealthy. You make more, you pay more. Life isn't fair, get over it, you're still rich.

Or we could boost the earnings of the bottom 50%. That would require the top earners, who we are assuming are the business owners, to increase wages. That would cost them money, sure, but it would save them from having to make up for the taxes the people on the bottom don't even qualify to pay. In the end, it's a more stable economic decision. However, it requires government intervention in terms of minimum wage and of course people will complain that it hurts job creation incentive.

We live in a country which requires a balance to survive, just like everything on this planet. We have the top 2% earning half our nation's income. That is not a balance. That is not sustainable.
__________________
Zombie Nation
Gear:
Rome Design 165 / Rome Arsenals
Rome Anthem 158

Last edited by Flick Montana; 10-24-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Flick Montana is offline  
Old 10-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #29 (permalink)
With extra cheese.
 
CheeseForSteeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Darfur.

Ultimate free market capitalism. No rules. At all.
If anything, Darfur is a good example of complete mlitiaristic control/martial state since it's basically just a warzone for Sudanese and Non-Arabs.
CheeseForSteeze is offline  
Old 10-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #30 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,387
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Darfur.

Ultimate free market capitalism. No rules. At all.
Now, I am not a capitalist, but even I think you may need a refresher course in what constitutes "free market capitalism". This definition is 100% straw man.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 42

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Boyne Mountain - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums