One Hell of a Cop - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holy shit 90's!!! Kiiiiilllll! Killlll!
Frozen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
While it may seem paradoxical, often a smaller caliber rifle round has more stopping power than a larger caliber pistol round. This is because the casing behind the bullet has more powder and the round travels at much higher velocity than most pistol rounds. Energy release is determined by mass times velocity squared (E=(M*C)2). Doubling the velocity in the equation has a massive effect on energy released. This higher velocity combined with more rifling of a longer barrel which increases the spin of the bullet provides a flatter trajectory and improved accuracy.

I still maintain that the reason people are more twitchy over open rifle carry is the result of the fact that it is uncommon in our society. It is purely a human emotional reaction not based on any established facts or statistics.
Sorry had to point out some errors here. Physics is kind of my business.

You've got (almost) the equation for the energy of special relativity there. I think what you were looking for is Ek=(mv^2)/2. Also, the spin imparted by rifling adds gyroscopic stabilization. Trajectory is a function of gravity & the speed of the projectile. Also, rifle cartridges don't always contain more powder than handgun cartridges, but they do reach higher velocities because of the increase in the time the bullet is accelerated by the expanding gases (longer barrel).
hvalley76 is offline  
post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
 
ThunderChunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kissing Bridge
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post


handguns are apparently quite lethal here on earth.

Thank you for proving that a bullet from a rifle is more lethal than pistol round.

Quote:
Im all for having fun, showing your tits and getting fucked up on a river float but it can be done without being a pig.
ThunderChunky is offline  
post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I understand that the spin created by more rifling is a gyroscopic effect. As a pilot, I understand the gyroscopic principle including precession which is why I have to constantly reset my heading indicator with the compass. I stand corrected on your other points however and thank you for the clarification....
Yeah, sorry to be "that guy". I'm a nerd
hvalley76 is offline  
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
 
Cr0_Reps_Smit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SMiThville, NJ (Summit County in winter)
Posts: 1,699
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
[QUOTE=ThunderChunky;520700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post

Pistol rounds are not as lethal unless you are very close. And even still most rifles will be just a deadly up close.

I get you snowolf. I agree with everything you just said. I get it now, but I still don't see a need to carry it around. Quite honestly it would be a nascence. I agree that there is really no viable reason why not, other than accidents, and we have the right too. I just don't think it should be legal in metropolitan areas, mainly cause it would do more harm than good. That is not including the cities where it is a common and accepted thing. And I agree it is an issue that needs to be dealt with by locality.

All I can say is, I really I wish I lived where it was legal to own actual guns.
just because you dont "see a need" as to why people should be allowed to carry rifles in a city doesnt mean it should be made illegal. the right to bare arms is there in case our government ever becomes too tyrannical like when we broke away from the English and have to put them back in there place. if that ever happens im sure citys will be the first thing they try to control.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cr0_Reps_Smit is offline  
post #46 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,811
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
Thank you for proving that a bullet from a rifle is more lethal than pistol round.
you're really that stupid?
ShredLife is offline  
post #47 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
backstop13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
A 30/06 is gonna be much more lethal from 25 yards than a .45 ACP. Otherwise the military would all be firing pistol rounds. There is a reason the MP5 is being phased out of the military. Because a 5.56 NATO is better at any range above 10 yards. Which says a lot seeing as how it is half the caliber size.

Hunting accidents with pistols, little to none. With rifles, much higher. There is a reason.
you don't own any guns, or have any idea what you're talking about, do you?
backstop13 is offline  
post #48 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
 
ThunderChunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kissing Bridge
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I own fifteen to twenty guns and am in the military. If you honestly think a pistol round causes more damage than most rifle rounds from 15+ yards you should probably tell the United States Military they are retarded and need to start using the 9mm version of the M4.

If you honestly think the average pistol round at 15+ yards is does more damage than the average rifle round you clearly need to educate yourself. We don't want idiots like that handling firearms.

Quote:
Im all for having fun, showing your tits and getting fucked up on a river float but it can be done without being a pig.
ThunderChunky is offline  
post #49 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
 
Cr0_Reps_Smit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SMiThville, NJ (Summit County in winter)
Posts: 1,699
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
I own fifteen to twenty guns and am in the military. If you honestly think a pistol round causes more damage than most rifle rounds from 15+ yards you should probably tell the United States Military they are retarded and need to start using the 9mm version of the M4.

If you honestly think the average pistol round at 15+ yards is does more damage than the average rifle round you clearly need to educate yourself. We don't want idiots like that handling firearms.
what im curious about is why it matters which one does more damage. a bullet is a bullet, that shit hits you anywhere that matters your body wont care where it came from.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cr0_Reps_Smit is offline  
post #50 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,811
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
this is not and has never been a question of caliber or velocity or grainweight of bullets or any of that nonsense so i am not sure why you keep bringing it up.

exponentially more people are murdered by handguns every year, so i ask you again - what is your point?
ShredLife is offline  
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome