Religion Debunked. - Page 30 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #291 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Well then you'd be really suprised at some of the stuff they'd do. For instance, when subduing a town (or a country) it was the legionaire's DUTY to rape and pillage -- especially rape. This had the effect of muddying the genetic (and therefore cultural) identity of the defeated people. After all, many of your chidren are now part roman. What are you gonna do, kill them?

One theory about the virgin birth myth is that disciples attempted to explain away Mary's pregnancy before she was married (normally a stoning offence) was that her village had been, um, romanized. On this basis there would be too many pregnant unwed girls for the locals to be able to stomach stoning them all.

Guess what that makes Jesus?
A son of a Roman
__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #292 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush Puppie View Post
  • Do the examples you see as being good in anyway mean there must be a god or the wisdom must have come from that god?

  • If you didn't know about jesus, do you think your morals would be vastly different?
I think those are 2 really good questions when someones thinking about religion personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Funny how good people are good people regardless of religion, and bad people the same.
Yup.


I guess perception is reality.
seant46 is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #293 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 11
Default

This conversation is interesting to me as I am a Christian minister. I have read much of this thread and I would agree with Snowolf's positive assessment. Conversations about religious faith "go to hell" quickly on the internet, which is why I usually don't engage in them. The respectful exchanges here, however, have encouraged me to share a couple of thoughts.

Too often, Christians approach science with suspicion and fear. This false dichotomy between faith and science is best expressed in the "Creationism/Evolution" debate. The "Creationism/Evolution" debate usually leads one to conclude that it's an either/or proposition. It's either God created in exactly the manner described in Genesis 1:1-2:3 (the first creation story) or it's evolution and God doesn't exist.

The interesting thing is, even Genesis isn't that simple. In Genesis 2:4 there is another account of creation. If you read Genesis 1:1-2:3 and then read Genesis 2:4-24 you will find there are two different accounts of creation. The order of creation in each account is different, and the most substantial difference is that the stories (or poems, that's what they really are) use different names for God. The first creation story uses the more generic "Elohim," and the second account uses the more personal "Yahweh." So the point is (sorry for the lengthy diatribe) . . . that the ancient Hebrews realized that creation was such a magnanimous event that just one creation poem couldn't do it justice.

Anyways, I should probably stop here, as I could ramble on about this stuff for far too long (and if someone has already pointed out the two creation stories I apologize for not having read the entire thread). My point is . . . you don't have to choose between Faith and Science. There is plenty of room for mystery in religious faith and the more we discover about the scientific world the more we realize that mystery is an essential aspect of being.

I'll leave you with a favorite quote from Anne Lamott . . . "The opposite of faith is not doubt, the opposite of faith is certainty."

Peace,
Jeff
making turns is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #294 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Sassicaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 572
Default

WOW!

“That’s the reason, as your congressman, I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that,”

Arent politics and religion supposed to be separate? Wonder what would happen if he was muslin and said the same thing about the quran.

Scary and primitive all at the same time. If my elected official made a comment like that id send a pretty nasty email to him.

BTW this guy also say "6 days as we know it" not each day lasting a thousand years like many other believers...so which is it?

Congressman draws fire for calling evolution, Big Bang
Sassicaia is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #295 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Slush Puppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: French Alps
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
I guess perception is reality.
On the other hand, the map is not the territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by making turns View Post
This conversation is interesting to me as I am a Christian minister. I have read much of this thread and I would agree with Snowolf's positive assessment. Conversations about religious faith "go to hell" quickly on the internet, which is why I usually don't engage in them. The respectful exchanges here, however, have encouraged me to share a couple of thoughts.
Welcome!

Quote:
Too often, Christians approach science with suspicion and fear. This false dichotomy between faith and science is best expressed in the "Creationism/Evolution" debate. The "Creationism/Evolution" debate usually leads one to conclude that it's an either/or proposition.
I think that the suspicion and fear is because people recognise on some level that a belief in and true understanding of the science leaves little room for god for most people. And that's a shame (to be afraid). It's an incredibly difficult thing to do to change our most deeply held beliefs. People after all will die for their most fundament beliefs. I need not cite examples of this. And no one can (or should) tell you what to believe. But I would encourage everyone to base whatever their beliefs are on the widest and riches sources of information available to them. And to not be afraid to question all of it!


Quote:
It's either God created in exactly the manner described in Genesis 1:1-2:3 (the first creation story) or it's evolution and God doesn't exist.
"...when two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong."
Richard Dawkins


Quote:
The interesting thing is, even Genesis isn't that simple. In Genesis 2:4 there is another account of creation. If you read Genesis 1:1-2:3 and then read Genesis 2:4-24 you will find there are two different accounts of creation. The order of creation in each account is different, and the most substantial difference is that the stories (or poems, that's what they really are) use different names for God. The first creation story uses the more generic "Elohim," and the second account uses the more personal "Yahweh." So the point is (sorry for the lengthy diatribe) . . . that the ancient Hebrews realized that creation was such a magnanimous event that just one creation poem couldn't do it justice.
That's an interesting conclusion (i have no particular argument with it) although a few possible explanations come to my mind. Who's to say I guess?

Quote:
Anyways, I should probably stop here, as I could ramble on about this stuff for far too long
Nah, you came to the right place! Get involved

Quote:
My point is . . . you don't have to choose between Faith and Science. There is plenty of room for mystery in religious faith and the more we discover about the scientific world the more we realize that mystery is an essential aspect of being.

I'll leave you with a favorite quote from Anne Lamott . . . "The opposite of faith is not doubt, the opposite of faith is certainty."
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.
Richard Dawkins"
That's a pro or a con to most people depending on which side of the divide they sit. I personally prefer to try and understand. YMMV

I hope i'm not laying the Dawkins quotes too thickly Just often they are insightful and thought provoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstboy View Post
Heaven may be real afterall...

Proof of Heaven: A Doctor's Experience With the Afterlife

Plus credibility can only be enhanced with wearing a bowtie like that.



I like this statement, if the bible or any other religious text only contained these words I would buy into it because that's all I would really like a God to be.
This is certainly interesting. Of course the title is slightly over sensational, it's in no way whatsoever proof of heaven. At least none other than can exist in anyone's mind at any time. But it's interesting never the less and i'd like to to know more.

Last edited by Slush Puppie; 10-10-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Slush Puppie is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #296 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
This is why we have to keep religion out of government and out of our public education!!!
Snowfolf you and I have found common ground (well apart from all the other common ground lol)...

There should be no link between the state and religion. The various religions are a set of laws/practices/teachings meant to instill a culture on a group of people. Since the public doesn't agree on a single religion, no religion should form any part of public policy.

I won't state my religious beliefs here (because you'd probably all laugh! lol) but I will say the words my dad said to me when I was younger...

"God is Santa Clause for adults"
poutanen is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #297 (permalink)
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,260
Default

not sure why this thread got moved but that seemed to kill it so fucking THANKS whoever did that...




ShredLife is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #298 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
not sure why this thread got moved but that seemed to kill it so fucking THANKS whoever did that...




You mean like away from so much hate and vitriol?

Thanks for bringing it back on course.

The opening of the vid has me tho. Atheists knowing more about religion - unsuprising really...
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #299 (permalink)
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
You mean like away from so much hate and vitriol?

Thanks for bringing it back on course.

The opening of the vid has me tho. Atheists knowing more about religion - unsuprising really...
well, its a thread that got over 5,000 views in just over a week and its 15+ pages long, so it looks like a discussion that people are willing to have...

no one is forcing you to participate. there will be no free volcom swag thrown out to the crowd here...
ShredLife is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #300 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
well, its a thread that got over 5,000 views in just over a week and its 15+ pages long, so it looks like a discussion that people are willing to have...

no one is forcing you to participate. there will be no free volcom swag thrown out to the crowd here...
hehe

I don't mind playing, I enjoy the middle of the discussion in reality, and I'm more educated than most on the topic.

The video you posted is kind of lazy reporting, but its not fair to nullify it for that sake, most of the shit you see and read these days is not excellent.

here's my issues with it tho:

1. The first question about Maiomodes...that was pretty obscure, which makes me a bit skeptical as to the contents of the survey that they are talking about - not that I challenge the conclusions.

2. Some really easy targets here:
a. as a population we are notoriously uneducated, especially about the rest of the world, compared to the rest of the world
b. "we are a nation of believers" quoted from the vid.

if a is true, and b is true, therefore we have a nation of stupid believers.

This is not really clever, nor is it the correct way to blend philosophy and logic, it does however, seem to be the seed of this report.

I'd take a 32 or Electric sticker...!
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash

Last edited by snowklinger; 10-15-2012 at 11:38 AM.
snowklinger is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums