Bob Costas and NBC just shat upon the 2cd Amendment on Sunday Night Football - Page 7 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #61 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli783 View Post
Even if the Japanese were deterred by facing armed civilians, how is that relevant to our lives now? Is there really still a threat for invasion? Dont get me wrong, Im all for guns. But living in nyc, and being a VICTIM of the misuse of just one, Im all for heavier regulation of them all.
I think the issue with a lot issues like this are results of emotions. I can only think of emotions, not logic, would allow someone to come to the conclusion that you did, but perhaps I'm wrong. So, I ask this sincerely, if the person who did you wrong had a knife, would you feel any differently about knives? Why?

I know a woman who was a victim of a home invasion. Two men broke into her home mid day, she ended up shooting one of them. She's pro gun now more than ever and in my state, she had issues even getting the gun in the first place (due to a misdemeanor that was thrown out), and we doubt if there were more regulations that she would have even got it in the first place. Should she, and the vast majority of legal gunners owners (I'm guessing 98-99%) who are peaceful have more issues getting guns via heavier regulations to deter the 1-2%? Feel free to challenge my numbers.

I don't know what occurred so I'll throw out a situation that happened to a friend of mine, he was jumped by a group of kids, one of which walked up behind him, and put a knife to his throat and made a couple demands. If you were in this situation, would you want knives regulated? If the punk with the knife had a gun instead, would you call for more gun regulations?

Last edited by tdn; 12-12-2012 at 12:38 PM.
tdn is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #62 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BK NYC
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
I think the issue with a lot issues like this are results of emotions. I can only think of emotions, not logic, would allow someone to come to the conclusion that you did, but perhaps I'm wrong. So, I ask this sincerely, if the person who did you wrong had a knife, would you feel any differently about knives? Why?
Well first off, Ill explain the situation. I was sitting in a park, and a fellow asked me for directions. I was giving him directions, when two other guys started to approach us. I didnt think much of it until I heard the sound of a slide cock. I looked over and there it is about 10 yds away, a big ass 1911. I looked him dead in his eyes and knew he was ready to shoot. I just remember running so hard and still got hit with one of two shots. The dude who was talking to me tried to run after me, but really because he was scared. He looked like he had just seen a ghost. I kept running and finally he stopped. Later when the cops caught up with them, he had told them he couldnt keep pace. So no if the dude had a knife, my lung, gallbladder and liver would be just the way god intended them to be
eli783 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #63 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BK NYC
Posts: 284
Default

Even in all of that, I STILL LOVE GUNS. My mom thinks im nuts but I still respect the necessity of them.
eli783 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #64 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli783 View Post
Well first off, Ill explain the situation. I was sitting in a park, and a fellow asked me for directions. I was giving him directions, when two other guys started to approach us. I didnt think much of it until I heard the sound of a slide cock. I looked over and there it is about 10 yds away, a big ass 1911. I looked him dead in his eyes and knew he was ready to shoot. I just remember running so hard and still got hit with one of two shots. The dude who was talking to me tried to run after me, but really because he was scared. He looked like he had just seen a ghost. I kept running and finally he stopped. Later when the cops caught up with them, he had told them he couldnt keep pace. So no if the dude had a knife, my lung, gallbladder and liver would be just the way god intended them to be
Did this happen in NYC? The city with one of the most gun regulations? Lets assume the dude owned the gun illegal, how would more regulations help?
tdn is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #65 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli783 View Post
Even in all of that, I STILL LOVE GUNS. My mom thinks im nuts but I still respect the necessity of them.
This confuses me. You respect the necessity of them, but call for heavier regulations which has only made it harder for law biding citizens to get, rather than to deter crime. Is that right? Can you elaborate? Maybe I've misunderstood what you meant by heavier regulation.

I know I'm probably coming off like a jack ass right now, but I'm honestly trying to follow your logic.
tdn is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #66 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli783 View Post
Even if the Japanese were deterred by facing armed civilians, how is that relevant to our lives now? Is there really still a threat for invasion? Dont get me wrong, Im all for guns. But living in nyc, and being a VICTIM of the misuse of just one, Im all for heavier regulation of them all.
The relevance is that by maintaining the right to own a weapon, this was a deterant, such as today we use them to deter a home invader amongst other uses. You are reading too much into an example of why gun ownership can be important. Also, to say that we can't be invaded today because our lives are different is just being naive. There are also regulations, but that doesn't mean a thing to a criminal. Many of them use unregistered, black market weapons. That will never stop, just as the drug trade is still going on. Bottom line, if someone is against guns, they have the right to not own one, just as if someone does like guns, they have a right to own one. This country is too blind to see that wanting people to conform to their ideologies is not allowing freedoms that this country was supposed to uphold.
sleev-les is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #67 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 349
Default

I agree. People are way too willing to restrict the Liberties of many, because of the actions of the very, very few.
tdn is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #68 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BK NYC
Posts: 284
Default

When I call for heavier regulations, it wouldnt make it harder for the same people who already possess them. If we love guns so much, why cant we have them smart chipped? Why cant we hold manufacturers and dealers more responsible? The ones that dont play by the current rules, fuel the black market for them. Yes this happened in NYC. They can stick 80k cops in this place, and there will always be a crime element here.
eli783 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BK NYC
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
Did this happen in NYC? The city with one of the most gun regulations? Lets assume the dude owned the gun illegal, how would more regulations help?
Where did he get the gun from? If it was legally purchased, then track it from there. Heavier regulations could call for that person being equally responsible for the crime he committed.
eli783 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #70 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BK NYC
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleev-les View Post
The relevance is that by maintaining the right to own a weapon, this was a deterant, such as today we use them to deter a home invader amongst other uses. You are reading too much into an example of why gun ownership can be important. Also, to say that we can't be invaded today because our lives are different is just being naive. There are also regulations, but that doesn't mean a thing to a criminal. Many of them use unregistered, black market weapons. That will never stop, just as the drug trade is still going on. Bottom line, if someone is against guns, they have the right to not own one, just as if someone does like guns, they have a right to own one. This country is too blind to see that wanting people to conform to their ideologies is not allowing freedoms that this country was supposed to uphold.
How can you say the gun market is just like the drug trade? We OWN the arms manufacturing market, a reason why tougher regulations will never come.
eli783 is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums