Mt. Hood Meadows or Bachelor this weekend? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mt. Hood Meadows or Bachelor this weekend?

Looks like Mt. Hood Meadows has the better snow report, but Bachelor's isn't too bad and is 30 minutes closer to me. Haven't been to either, which should I check out? Anywhere else I should consider? THanks
cstorms is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Bachelor is unbeatable as a resort compared to Meadows which is pretty barebone, core rider style. Expect No amenities, real lodge etc. at or even near Meadows, but if you're purely there for turns and terrain it's great, damn near perfect even. This year is weird though. No snow has lead to all gated stuff still being closed and cliff drops and steep faces questionable on Hood. Bachelor got a HUGE ice storm a few days back though while Meadows got great snow but then a tad bit of rain and freezing rain. Neither will overwhelm you with terrain right now sadly, otherwise I'd highly suggest Meadows. Until real winter hits (and please dear God I hope it does soon) I'd suggest spending the least amount of money and drive time as possible.
lab49232 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the awesome reply.. much more info than I was expecting.

I got a new board and haven't gone riding since last year, so I'm itching to get out. As long as there is some snow, I think I will be psyched to be there. I don't mind the lack of amenities, etc.. I usually bring everything I need anyway. Are there any motels nearby meadows or is it kind of a day trip place?
cstorms is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstorms View Post
Thanks for the awesome reply.. much more info than I was expecting.

I got a new board and haven't gone riding since last year, so I'm itching to get out. As long as there is some snow, I think I will be psyched to be there. I don't mind the lack of amenities, etc.. I usually bring everything I need anyway. Are there any motels nearby meadows or is it kind of a day trip place?
Definitely a day trip place. Government camp is the closest place and options there are beyond limited. More likely you're looking towards Hood River or even Portland which are about 1 and 2 hours away respectively. Basically at either resort expect just groomers and medium parks. Meadows was fun and bright today but very slushy, especially for being mid January.
lab49232 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
How does Timberline compare to these 2? I'm also thinking of making a trip up to Oregon this season. Never been before. Thanks.
scotty100 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty100 View Post
How does Timberline compare to these 2? I'm also thinking of making a trip up to Oregon this season. Never been before. Thanks.
Timberline is a smaller more mellow than Meadows as far as terrain. Very flat but they can build an awesome park. They do have a small amount of rooms at the lodge itself and it is really pretty, worth a visit any time of year, especially in winter. Would not suggest it for riding though, except for summer because where else are you riding in summer? It gets a little less crowded on weekends which is nice, but really if you're between Meadows, Timberline and Bachelor, Timberline should be your last bet as far as riding and only barely above Meadows for overall resort but still well below Bachelor.

All that being said, at this rate this season, try and spend money leaving Oregon sadly. It's beyond terrible and people don't realize just how bad it is because snow usually isn't even a question, it's just a given here, for the most part they aren't even capable of making snow as they don't own equipment for it (on Hood that is). It's not just bad, it's one of the worst years on record. Great years are near endless powder and blue bird for months, normal years are deep but heavy snow starting as early as December, bad years are packed and tracked powder all season with tracked and shallow off groom, this year is ride the center of the groom and hope a rock isn't hiding under each ridge of snow. Meadows had to rent a truck to haul snow from the parking lot to fill the base area! Ski Bowl for example which has the best terrain on Hood hasn't even opened for the season and has had to push and cat pack snow since November in the hopes they can get a single lift open this week. I love it here and normally would say Hood and Bachelor are a must for near any rider every season but this year you're better taking a trip to a resort on the "ice coast" like in NY than coming here

Last edited by lab49232; 01-17-2014 at 02:09 AM.
lab49232 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Yeah I hear ya man. It's fricken brutal in cali this year. Squaw is my go-to and I haven't been up to Tahoe at all this season. No point. Next to zero snow and hardly anything open. There's been a high pressure ridge parked off the coast for 2 months and won't shift. Fck all precip. 72 degs in SF today...I had a tshirt on all day. I'm looking at heading to Utah or Colorado for a couple of weeks but also considering Washington maybe and if Oregon ever got anything then maybe hit there too for a weekend but sounds like it's Cali all over again too. Geez...what did we do to deserve this crap?
scotty100 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
 
ridinbend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bend
Posts: 3,294
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab49232 View Post
Bachelor is unbeatable as a resort compared to Meadows which is pretty barebone, core rider style. Expect No amenities, real lodge etc. at or even near Meadows, but if you're purely there for turns and terrain it's great, damn near perfect even. This year is weird though. No snow has lead to all gated stuff still being closed and cliff drops and steep faces questionable on Hood. Bachelor got a HUGE ice storm a few days back though while Meadows got great snow but then a tad bit of rain and freezing rain. Neither will overwhelm you with terrain right now sadly, otherwise I'd highly suggest Meadows. Until real winter hits (and please dear God I hope it does soon) I'd suggest spending the least amount of money and drive time as possible.
Its all getting soft with these warm temps.
ridinbend is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty100 View Post
Yeah I hear ya man. It's fricken brutal in cali this year. Squaw is my go-to and I haven't been up to Tahoe at all this season. No point. Next to zero snow and hardly anything open. There's been a high pressure ridge parked off the coast for 2 months and won't shift. Fck all precip. 72 degs in SF today...I had a tshirt on all day. I'm looking at heading to Utah or Colorado for a couple of weeks but also considering Washington maybe and if Oregon ever got anything then maybe hit there too for a weekend but sounds like it's Cali all over again too. Geez...what did we do to deserve this crap?
Years and years of being spoiled with the deepest snow and most sun but sadly we have to apparently pay our dues too! The only place on the west coast I'd consider would be Baker. They are still way below normal but are actually getting surprisingly decent snow still. If it was an hour closer I'd ride there every weekend and I have a free season pass to Meadows and T-line.
lab49232 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 03:16 AM
Senior Member
 
rambob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: central oregon
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe head North: Stevens and Crystal are closer to Oregon and have the terrain that Baker has: Less tracked out too (of course any resort is gonna be tracked out on a weekend/and if it doesnt snow). Also look at White Pass; its about 3 hrs fro PDX and has some goods.
rambob is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome