Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
- Resort Trip Reports (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/resort-trip-reports/)
- - Utah: Park City. March '11 (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/resort-trip-reports/37282-utah-park-city-march-11-a.html)
Utah: Park City. March '11
Starting a thread about an upcoming trip to Park City, UT early March. This will be my 2nd 'boarding trip out west (Aspen: Highlands & Snowmass last year). I'm super stoked and these last few weeks will probably take forever.
1) Airfare: Direct to SLC $5 each way (thanks to work Japan trips).
2) Checked baggage will probably be ~$55 each way unless Delta honors thier "1st checked bag free" with gold card.
3) Condo ~0.2 miles from the Park City town lift.
4) Rental car (actually minivan) for 5 peeps booked. We could have used other "cheaper" transportation options, but the added convenience of the rental won out (need to grocery shop and find a liquor store for full strength beer).
5) We'll arrive in SLC late morning, gather our stuff and head to Brighton to get a couple hours in before the bulk of the lifts close and then maybe get a few night runs in.
6) Of the 3 remaining full 'boarding days, 1 will be used at The Canyons and the other 2 at PCMR in order to fully utilize our ski in/out convenience.
I'll post up some pics and any info we run across while we're out there. Any cool food joints, pubs, etc... you want to add b/w now and then feel free to post it up!
The trip is almost upon us, so I'm wrapping up packing. Based on the trip out to Aspen last year, I am packing my board, boots, pants, and jacket in my board bag. I'm thinking about taking a slightly bigger (than needed) suitcase so I can toss all that stuff in it (except board, of course) in case DELTA wants to give me any grief about what's in my board bag.
The guy we booked the condo thru is going to do our 1st round of food shopping. It'll cost us a little 'convenience' fee, but this allows us more time on the slopes Wed & Thurs. Well worth it we think.
Looks like we missed a pretty good storm by about 1wk (last week), but at least there's a chance for a little snow this week...depending on what site(s) you look at (I choose to look at the one's with snow in the forecast :D ).
I will try to post pictures and trip updates as things move along.
Just got back from a week out in PC. Some food joints I liked were the noodle house and bandits grill on main. Bought groceries at the freshmarket on park ave which would be a long walk from town lift. Is there such a thing as full strength beer in utah? I also flew delta and they didn't question the bulkiness of my board bag. I thought the snow we got this weekend was better than last week. Last week's powder was heavier. This weekend was like cotton candy. If you like park, PCMR will be great, but I thought Canyons was a much better mountain (edit: oh yeah, natural halfpipes). Have fun!
I checked in today and DELTA honored the "1st bag free" since I have the Delta AMEX, so things are starting off nicely. Can't complain about $37 flight each way (airfare + baggage fee)!
To top it off, snow is in the forecast...although only a chance of a small amount. I'll take whatever I can get.
Trip starts tomorrow, but my mind is already there.
if you come to brighton tomorrow youll see one of the funnest contest ever 32's 3/2 day banked slalom rail jam and party ... come on over get some free shit and have fun ... hit me up with a dm if you wanna see some of the mountain
Sorry for being slack about updating my trip report. I had to jump right back into the grind after returning.
1)Flights with Delta went off without a hitch. They accepted my board bag stuffed with jacket, pants, and boots as 1 checked item...no questions asked.
2) The Enterprise rental line at SLC was decently long. It took about 30mins to get thru, so I was glad I went straight there instead of waiting for the rest of the crew coming in about 1hr behind me.
3) We bought all of our (discounted) lift tickets @ Canyon Sports.
4) We ate out most of the nights (Main St. Pizza & Noodles, The Spur Bar & Grill just off Main, and Flying Sumo on Park Ave.), but cooked in 1 night.
5) 3.2% makes me feel like I have a problem because I was only getting half the enjoyment of a beer
I thought it was cool how the mountains bordered SLC.
After gathering the gear, van, and lift tix, we raced over to Brighton to maximize our TWIGHTLIGHT pass.
Chairlift (Stairway) to Heaven?
Some poser (me)
Unfortunately, the long travel day caught up with us so we couldn't fully utilize the pass. We were done shortly after the lights came on, so we did the next best thing... Apres ski & 3.2% Guinness?
03.03.11: Park City (PCMR). Opened and closed the lifts.
View from the Town Lift
We were (pleasantly) greeted at the top of PCMR with snow!
4/5 of the crew at the top of McConkey's
More of the snow (totally unexpected)
After the morning snow, it was Bluebird skies
Planning the route home at the end of the day...
03.04.11: The Canyons. We were there for opening and closing lifts.
The Orange Bubble Express:
Kinda odd riding the Bubble. I never experienced heated seats and a protective bubble.
One of my future homes:
Planning the afternoon runs:
It was a long, but rewarding day:
03.05.11 PCMR. Last day. Opened and closed the lifts again:
It's too easy to forget to look around while you're on the lift and slopes, so I tried to make sure I took in the surroundings:
4/5 of the crew..again:
Midway thru Erika's Gold:
Taking in our last few runs:
Pretty close to final chair:
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.