Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North of Tampa, FL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just got back from my 10 days in Summit...
As we all know the season is seriously lacking snow compared to the record breaking amounts of last season at Breck, Keystone, and A-Basin. I took my December trip anyways, had some new gear to try out and was anxious to ride! For the 10 days I was there, the best we got between the 3 resorts was 1-3", the rest of the days were sunny. Not exactly favorably conditions because who doesn't love that white powder (besides Charlie Sheen ba dum tss)? As far as coverage there is enough terrain open to have fun.
A-Basin is nice because there aren't many people, but right now there are literally like 5 runs open. 2 at the top funnel into one and then at the bottom is splits to 3 that meet right back up to the one lift.
Keystone has a good bit open, the A-51 terrain park is in full swing if you like bigger features. I ventured in but didn't feel like killing myself because I needed to start with the Incubator (beginner) section which isn't even close to done yet. As far as runs there is a good bit IMO, the backside is open as well which has some nice long runs with steeper sections on the blues. Night riding as far as I know all of those runs are open. I never felt limited or crowded.
Breckenridge has Peaks 7,8, and 9 open. There is a good bit of terrain but being so spread out it felt limited. Where I would normally take this run to get to this I had to actually figure out different routes to get there because of the lack of snowfall. The Dew Tour was going on so that was fun to watch at least. I think due to that going on, Breck was more crowded. You could definitely tell all the efforts went towards making the Dew Tour perfect rather than opening more runs.
At all the resorts there would be random rocks and tops of the small trees sticking out but to sum it up, there is plenty to ride to still have fun. I wouldn't buy a day pass but if you have a season pass it's a nice warm up to dust those cobwebs off. If you didn't plan a trip already where you can't get your money back then I would wait or head south to WolfCreek. I'm still hoping for that nice winter storm to really dump before I return in mid January. C'mon Ullr!!!
Last edited by FL_Boarder; 12-19-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Reason: is this better? :p