Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Resort Trip Reports (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/resort-trip-reports/)
-   -   2012-13 trip west (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/resort-trip-reports/47695-2012-13-trip-west.html)

Brian614 03-13-2012 10:00 PM

2012-13 trip west
 
I am relatively new to snowboarding (2nd season this year) and I am hoping to head out west next season if I can afford it. Anyway, most of my boarding has been in Ohio and I did make it to Holiday Valley this year also. At Holiday Valley, I was on greens and blues most of the day, but did not go on any black.

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for a first trip out west. Being relatively new, I don't want to go to a resort that is so difficult that I do not have any fun or can only run 4-5 trails. Here are some of the suggestions I have been given, any opinions?

Oregon
Mt Bachelor
Timberline
Mt Hood Meadows

California
Lake Tahoe area

Colarado
Steamboat Springs

Montana
Big Sky

Any help is appreciated. If Oregon looks good, I figured we may be able to hit all three resorts. I know there are several in the Lake Tahoe area also.

Thanks

STLnCHI 03-14-2012 05:31 PM

To be honest, anything outside of Ohio is going to blow your mind. Most of the greens and blue out there are probably at least comparable to, if not harder than, the blue and blacks that you have. I've been out west many times, mainly the Colorado I-70 resorts, but have also ridden Steamboat for 1 day and Jackson Hole for a couple days. I would NOT recommend Jackson Hole, even though it is awesome. That mountain will put even put an advanced rider in his place. In my opinion, any of those should be fine. Check each resort's trail maps and see how many green/blue trails they have. That should give you an idea as to whether or not there is enough terrain for you to have fun on. How come Utah isn't on your list? There are numerous spots around Salt Lake City. Just my thoughts.

wrathfuldeity 03-14-2012 08:43 PM

F next year...get yo ass out here now...ur going to get it handed to you anyway. I've met few tourist from IL, OH, PA, MI on the chair and they are shitting their pants.

WasatchMan 03-14-2012 08:58 PM

So are you planning on chasing some powder? or just come out and ride some beginner runs? are you looking for a touristy resort with a lot of amenities?

grafta 03-14-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity (Post 495810)
F next year...get yo ass out here now...ur going to get it handed to you anyway. I've met few tourist from IL, OH, PA, MI on the chair and they are shitting their pants.

:laugh:

I always think this when I hear of people planning a trip west :D

That's why its dope, a nice wakeup call :thumbsup:

david_z 03-14-2012 09:00 PM

too early to start planning next year unless you don't really care about getting the goods and are more interested in just the "experience" of riding 3,000 vertical feet at a giant resort.

WasatchMan 03-14-2012 09:06 PM

^ which is what I think he is looking for.

whatever floats your boat

david_z 03-14-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WasatchMan (Post 495822)
^ which is what I think he is looking for.

whatever floats your boat

word. with that in mind then it's pretty tough to go wrong. anywhere west of the Mississippi is going to be mind = blown for the first time.

My recommendations based on personal experience flying from the Midwest are to stay East of the coast; travelling to the PacNW or Cali adds a few more hours to the flight and it's more of a hassle since you lose a full day on each end to travel there's no way around it, so a 3 days on the mountain means 5 days trip, 5 days rental car, 5 nights lodging, etc. but if money's no object or time off work is no problem then the world be your oyster.

Brian614 03-14-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity (Post 495810)
F next year...get yo ass out here now...ur going to get it handed to you anyway. I've met few tourist from IL, OH, PA, MI on the chair and they are shitting their pants.

Wish I could get out this year, but the furnace went out at my house and set me back $8K---ouch!

Brian614 03-14-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STLnCHI (Post 495746)
To be honest, anything outside of Ohio is going to blow your mind. Most of the greens and blue out there are probably at least comparable to, if not harder than, the blue and blacks that you have. I've been out west many times, mainly the Colorado I-70 resorts, but have also ridden Steamboat for 1 day and Jackson Hole for a couple days. I would NOT recommend Jackson Hole, even though it is awesome. That mountain will put even put an advanced rider in his place. In my opinion, any of those should be fine. Check each resort's trail maps and see how many green/blue trails they have. That should give you an idea as to whether or not there is enough terrain for you to have fun on. How come Utah isn't on your list? There are numerous spots around Salt Lake City. Just my thoughts.

Nice call on Utah. I had looked at Powder Mtn or Snowbasin. I did hear it was not as commercialized as Colorado and has some great places to ride.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2