Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Resort Trip Reports (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/resort-trip-reports/)
-   -   tremblant vs killington (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/resort-trip-reports/50950-tremblant-vs-killington.html)

pharcyde 11-07-2012 03:48 PM

tremblant vs killington
 
Some friends and i are planning a trip for dec 30-jan 6 and we're looking closest at tremblent or killington. none of us have been to anything bigger than moonstone or blue so we are looking for any input. I really like how tremblant is close to sauveur which has night skiing but killington is noticeably cheaper and has more slopes.

This is for four snowboarders, 2 are able to handle double diamonds and are novice park riders, and 2 are challenged by blacks.

We are open to other places, but prefer anything within a days drive of toronto

PiKiT 11-07-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharcyde (Post 535652)
Some friends and i are planning a trip for dec 30-jan 6 and we're looking closest at tremblent or killington. none of us have been to anything bigger than moonstone or blue so we are looking for any input. I really like how tremblant is close to sauveur which has night skiing but killington is noticeably cheaper and has more slopes.

This is for four snowboarders, 2 are able to handle double diamonds and are novice park riders, and 2 are challenged by blacks.

We are open to other places, but prefer anything within a days drive of toronto

I had an epic time at tremblant last year and will ne there january and hopefully Jays peak this year as well.

If you are usually at blue and moonstone then u will love tremblant! I should add though the black diamonds at blue are not really blacks.

surfinsnow 11-08-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharcyde (Post 535652)
Some friends and i are planning a trip for dec 30-jan 6 and we're looking closest at tremblent or killington. none of us have been to anything bigger than moonstone or blue so we are looking for any input. I really like how tremblant is close to sauveur which has night skiing but killington is noticeably cheaper and has more slopes.

This is for four snowboarders, 2 are able to handle double diamonds and are novice park riders, and 2 are challenged by blacks.

We are open to other places, but prefer anything within a days drive of toronto

Never been to Tremblant. Killington is very big, very spread out, but I think it kinds sucks for snowboarders. LOTS of very short runs (don't let their hype fool you) and they have a several different base areas which make it easy to get separated from your group -- and it takes forever to find them again. You'll do a lot of walking when you're at the bottom, lots of flats between the various base areas.

And don't let their claims of vertical fool you...that is based upon ONE very long green trail that is virtually unrideable on a snowboard. It literally crosses through a parking lot, then snakes through the woods and a neighborhood to the Skyeship parking area/gondola. It should be labeled a snowshoe trail, but Killy uses it to claim they have the most vertical in the east. Bullshit. Most of Killington's trails are very short, but they have lots of acreage, so they hype their size. And they lie about their snow conditions worse than any mountain I've ever seen. It could be 45 degrees and raining, and they'll claim it's a powder day -- anything to get the New Yorkers up there.

It's known for it's nightlife. Personally, I can't stand Killington. It's like being a tourist in Times Square. Lots of nasty, rude posers. A lot of people swear by it...I swear AT it. I won't go unless I have a really cheap ticket.

Hit up Jay Peak. Great mountain, lots of trees, and killer water park with stationary wave to surf on after the mountain closes. You can get a combo lift ticket/water park pass.

PiKiT 11-08-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfinsnow (Post 536141)
Never been to Tremblant. Killington is very big, very spread out, but I think it kinds sucks for snowboarders. LOTS of very short runs (don't let their hype fool you) and they have a several different base areas which make it easy to get separated from your group -- and it takes forever to find them again. You'll do a lot of walking when you're at the bottom, lots of flats between the various base areas.

And don't let their claims of vertical fool you...that is based upon ONE very long green trail that is virtually unrideable on a snowboard. It literally crosses through a parking lot, then snakes through the woods and a neighborhood to the Skyeship parking area/gondola. It should be labeled a snowshoe trail, but Killy uses it to claim they have the most vertical in the east. Bullshit. Most of Killington's trails are very short, but they have lots of acreage, so they hype their size. And they lie about their snow conditions worse than any mountain I've ever seen. It could be 45 degrees and raining, and they'll claim it's a powder day -- anything to get the New Yorkers up there.

It's known for it's nightlife. Personally, I can't stand Killington. It's like being a tourist in Times Square. Lots of nasty, rude posers. A lot of people swear by it...I swear AT it. I won't go unless I have a really cheap ticket.

Hit up Jay Peak. Great mountain, lots of trees, and killer water park with stationary wave to surf on after the mountain closes. You can get a combo lift ticket/water park pass.


wicked now I know to hit up Jay's Peak instead of Killington bahahaha

BigmountainVMD 11-08-2012 10:55 AM

Go to Sugarloaf in Maine.

david_z 11-08-2012 10:59 AM

Between Killy and Tremblant I'd go to Tremblant. Yeah it's kinda got that corporate cookie-cutter resort "village" but unlike killington it is all self-contained, good shuttle service from the surrounding condos to the base/village area, several fun bars for nightlife (as long as you don't mind jailbat french canadiens) and it's a pretty fun mountain to ride.

Been to Killington once in like 1997 I'm sure it's changed since then, been to Tremblant twice (1997, 2009).

Noreaster 11-08-2012 11:30 AM

Killington is like one of those OCD things for me. I hate it and swear never to go back but then end up there again (usually because some friend would talk me into it) expecting this time I'll feel different about it. Which never happens. Killington is just not a snowboarder's mountain in my opinion. Plenty of flats and moguls, long green flat runs. The base area is an atrocity, I can't in all honesty, say I've seen a worse layout in a major resort. However, their parks are very good. I love the Stash with its cool features and they have one of the best progression parks in the East.

Tremblant is definitely superior in terms of terrain layout. Advanced Zone park is great, others - nothing speacial. There's an Alpine style party village at the base, something Killington doesn't have. The place is markedly more expensive and awash in drunk kids.

Tech420 11-08-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfinsnow (Post 536141)
Never been to Tremblant. Killington is very big, very spread out, but I think it kinds sucks for snowboarders. LOTS of very short runs (don't let their hype fool you) and they have a several different base areas which make it easy to get separated from your group -- and it takes forever to find them again. You'll do a lot of walking when you're at the bottom, lots of flats between the various base areas.

And don't let their claims of vertical fool you...that is based upon ONE very long green trail that is virtually unrideable on a snowboard. It literally crosses through a parking lot, then snakes through the woods and a neighborhood to the Skyeship parking area/gondola. It should be labeled a snowshoe trail, but Killy uses it to claim they have the most vertical in the east. Bullshit. Most of Killington's trails are very short, but they have lots of acreage, so they hype their size. And they lie about their snow conditions worse than any mountain I've ever seen. It could be 45 degrees and raining, and they'll claim it's a powder day -- anything to get the New Yorkers up there.

It's known for it's nightlife. Personally, I can't stand Killington. It's like being a tourist in Times Square. Lots of nasty, rude posers. A lot of people swear by it...I swear AT it. I won't go unless I have a really cheap ticket.

Hit up Jay Peak. Great mountain, lots of trees, and killer water park with stationary wave to surf on after the mountain closes. You can get a combo lift ticket/water park pass.

No offense, but it just sounds like you're not a very good rider. I ride at Killington quite a bit and have never had any type of issues walking anywhere. Most of the runs are pretty long if you're starting at the top. The new boss is heading in the right direction and really seems to know what the people want. He has been very honest and up front about their current snow making and mountain status. There are certainly better places to ride, but Killington is a good mountain and has a bit of everything for everyone. Sounds like you just have a personal issue.

Lamps 11-08-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiKiT (Post 535713)
I had an epic time at tremblant last year and will ne there january and hopefully Jays peak this year as well.

If you are usually at blue and moonstone then u will love tremblant! I should add though the black diamonds at blue are not really blacks.

I cant compare to Killington but Tremblant is way way better than blue, and has good nightlife too.

I would be shocked if you went to Tremblant if you felt the need to try to get some night rides in at another resort, stepping up from Blue Mtn you will be plenty tired by sundown, and ready to hit the faux village for dinner, drinks etc.

surfinsnow 11-08-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech420 (Post 536221)
No offense, but it just sounds like you're not a very good rider. I ride at Killington quite a bit and have never had any type of issues walking anywhere. Most of the runs are pretty long if you're starting at the top. The new boss is heading in the right direction and really seems to know what the people want. He has been very honest and up front about their current snow making and mountain status. There are certainly better places to ride, but Killington is a good mountain and has a bit of everything for everyone. Sounds like you just have a personal issue.

Hey, Tech, I take offense. Been riding for thirteen years, doing the double blacks at Tahoe (Kirkwood, Squaw, Alpine), and Stowe back East. I just hate Killington. It doesn't compare, it's just massive and spread out, but I never found it challenging or worth the asshole crowds.

You mention "the NEW BOSS." Good point...maybe things will be different this year. The CT Ski Council has some cheap lift tix on their calendar this year, for the first time in a few years, so I will be going. But it has sucked on literally every other trip I've made before, even with fresh pow. Short runs, I don't know how you compare it with someplace like Stowe where you ride for 3 miles...Killy seems like I'm at the bottom by the time I even lay in a few turns. Although stuff like Jaws and some of the other steeps are fun ways to keep your skills up until you get to someplace real.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2