Afton "Alps" - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 1,523
Default

Well, THAT was an adventure! Great hill, but now I have to seriously reevaluate my skill level. And i need a stiffer board.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Board Gadget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
Well, THAT was an adventure! Great hill, but now I have to seriously reevaluate my skill level. And i need a stiffer board.
Really!? How long have you been snowboarding?
__________________
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. -Romans 5:8-
Board Gadget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
Well, THAT was an adventure! Great hill, but now I have to seriously reevaluate my skill level. And i need a stiffer board.
did you head to granite peak? worth the trip? hopefully the snow was ok...rained down in madison allllllllllllll damn day.
GOskiLF_bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 1,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOskiLF_bum View Post
did you head to granite peak? worth the trip? hopefully the snow was ok...rained down in madison allllllllllllll damn day.
I did, it was great. The snow was really good (for what I'm used to), it wasn't very busy, the runs are long and fast for the midwest and they have high speed lifts that fly you up. Great great time. And the 9-4 ticket was only $45.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
I did, it was great. The snow was really good (for what I'm used to), it wasn't very busy, the runs are long and fast for the midwest and they have high speed lifts that fly you up. Great great time. And the 9-4 ticket was only $45.
good...i'm glad you liked it. we don't have much in the midwest but they are one of the best, if not the best. haven't been to lutsen or bohemia though so that may be an unfair statement.
GOskiLF_bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #36 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 1,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Board Gadget View Post
Really!? How long have you been snowboarding?
Well, I started two years ago, technically.... I rented I think twice. Then I bought a setup for last season, rode it three times, snapping my achilles the third time out. But I've been out maybe 15 times this year.. But some were short. Friday night I only rode an hour, it was crappy snow and I was exhausted from work and didn't want to kill myself.

I can ride anything afton has except bumps... couldn't ride bumps when i skied either- we're just not compatible.

The blues at GP are the blacks at Afton... I made the mistake of riding lift 5 all the way up. I was not confident in my ability to ride those hills down, they were way steep and narrow. I ended up over by the the high speed 6 most of the day. Hit 48mph at one point, and the boards behavior (and the fact that it's too big for me and a park board) told me I need a new one for next year.



I DID ride some of the stuff over by the high speed quad, I did ok there, but when I started to get tired it started to make me nervous.

Last edited by Deacon; 03-15-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 1,523
Default

Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Board Gadget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 152
Default Re: Afton "Alps"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
Well, I started two years ago, technically.... I rented I think twice. Then I bought a setup for last season, rode it three times, snapping my achilles the third time out. But I've been out maybe 15 times this year.. But some were short. Friday night I only rode an hour, it was crappy snow and I was exhausted from work and didn't want to kill myself.

I can ride anything afton has except bumps... couldn't ride bumps when i skied either- we're just not compatible.

The blues at GP are the blacks at Afton... I made the mistake of riding lift 5 all the way up. I was not confident in my ability to ride those hills down, they were way steep and narrow. I ended up over by the the high speed 6 most of the day. Hit 48mph at one point, and the boards behavior (and the fact that it's too big for me and a park board) told me I need a new one for next year.



I DID ride some of the stuff over by the high speed quad, I did ok there, but when I started to get tired it started to make me nervous.
Sounds great. I will have to take that trip next year. Lutsen also.

The forecast changed for next week. Less snow and more cold. I was hoping to hit Afton one more time. Spring break next week for the metro area schools. It maybe a zoo.

Next weekend they have a food drive. Bring can goods and pay $8.00 for your lift ticket. Have you heard how bad it gets there on those weekends?
__________________
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. -Romans 5:8-
Board Gadget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #39 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 1,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Board Gadget View Post
Sounds great. I will have to take that trip next year. Lutsen also.

The forecast changed for next week. Less snow and more cold. I was hoping to hit Afton one more time. Spring break next week for the metro area schools. It maybe a zoo.

Next weekend they have a food drive. Bring can goods and pay $8.00 for your lift ticket. Have you heard how bad it gets there on those weekends?
I haven't, but I'd think I'd get there at opening bell. By mid day I'm sure it's gonna be crazy busy. Head for the highlands and you'll probably get a fair amount of runs in before it gets tracked out.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #40 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Board Gadget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 152
Default Re: Afton "Alps"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
I haven't, but I'd think I'd get there at opening bell. By mid day I'm sure it's gonna be crazy busy. Head for the highlands and you'll probably get a fair amount of runs in before it gets tracked out.
Thanks.
__________________
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. -Romans 5:8-
Board Gadget is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums