Broken arm - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
herzogone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Auburn, MA
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 98
Broken arm

So my son was tail-pressing a box at our local hill last Saturday when he fell and did this:



He broke both bones and was told he can't snowboard again for at least 8 weeks. I'm thinking about getting him the Snowboard Addiction video series (okay, for me also ) to watch in his downtime, and I'd love to hear any suggestions anyone has for things he can do for fun while injured. He's 11 years old and is really bummed about this injury with this terrible season around here really just starting to ramp up.

In addition to all this, I think my wife is now more skeptical than ever of trying snowboarding after my concussion and now this. At least she's still willing to let our younger boys take more lessons.
herzogone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Been there with both my boys. the worst part is that when you go to ride they give you that look like, you are going without me?
Catman is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 PM
With extra cheese.
 
CheeseForSteeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Damn, sorry to hear about your son but at the same time its good that the injury wasn't too severe.

My only suggestion would be to convince him (however best you know) to let it heal up well so it doesn't affect his quality of life and snowboarding. He has so many years of shredding in front of him. Yea, I realize telling an 11 year old that isn't some easy task, LOL.
CheeseForSteeze is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Pow?POW!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central PA/Northern VA
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a bummer for your son man nothin worse than sittin out part/all season. Luckily enough I only broke my arm once and it happened to be at that age, also it wasn't as bad for me as I had yet to discover snowboarding.

He's young though he outta heal up pretty quick.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(DJ music FTW)
Pow?POW! is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Ryan_T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a bummer, but if he doesn't heal properly, he'll have even bigger issues. Just tell him the conditions suck.

Ryan -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ryan_T is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 11,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Tell the wifey accidents happen it's how we over come them and move forward that makes the difference. Bummer for the lil guy though that's a rough age to be laid up like that, dislocated my wrist when I was his age 10 weeks with only one arm. Biggest thing is keeping him occupied and his mind off the fact he's healing. My suggestion is build something with him as a father son project and make it something that requires a lot of time so he'll think about it often. Or video games and hookers sure he's 11 but you gotta become a man sometime.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
herzogone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Auburn, MA
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Been there with both my boys. the worst part is that when you go to ride they give you that look like, you are going without me?
Sorry to hear, I'm dreading that also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
Damn, sorry to hear about your son but at the same time its good that the injury wasn't too severe.

My only suggestion would be to convince him (however best you know) to let it heal up well so it doesn't affect his quality of life and snowboarding. He has so many years of shredding in front of him. Yea, I realize telling an 11 year old that isn't some easy task, LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pow?POW! View Post
That's a bummer for your son man nothin worse than sittin out part/all season. Luckily enough I only broke my arm once and it happened to be at that age, also it wasn't as bad for me as I had yet to discover snowboarding.

He's young though he outta heal up pretty quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_T View Post
That's a bummer, but if he doesn't heal properly, he'll have even bigger issues. Just tell him the conditions suck.
Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to make sure he takes it easy. The doctors put a bit of a scare in him with the threat of surgery and even longer out-of-commission times if he doesn't, and he seems to be taking it to heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Tell the wifey accidents happen it's how we over come them and move forward that makes the difference. Bummer for the lil guy though that's a rough age to be laid up like that, dislocated my wrist when I was his age 10 weeks with only one arm. Biggest thing is keeping him occupied and his mind off the fact he's healing. My suggestion is build something with him as a father son project and make it something that requires a lot of time so he'll think about it often. Or video games and hookers sure he's 11 but you gotta become a man sometime.
Thanks for the advice, I suspect my wife's "concern" may just be an excuse to put off trying it yet, since if she really believed it was unsafe I'm sure she'd complain about the rest of us still doing it, and she knows that's not going to get anywhere I'll get her hooked eventually... I really appreciate the suggestions, I like the idea of a father-son project a lot (the hookers, maybe not so much )
herzogone is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Senior Member
 
nickwarrenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NS, Canada Eh!
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I broke my arm in the peak of the season a while back, and ended up riding with it after 2 weeks of downtime. Stayed out of the park for the most part, although after the 8 weeks they had to recast it for another 5...(season ended, so I was ok with this.)

I think he should ride with it, but not progress or try anything new.
nickwarrenn is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when i broke my hand i put on a thick wool sock over the cast so it would stay warm and just go shredding the next week!
having a cast on is awsome, extra protection and shit
Reykd is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome